What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Wb1234

Referee
Well if you add them together and times 3 for the population size of most Sydney nrl clubs you’re at 54k lol. per head of population the number of people attending RL games in hull psses over pretty much every Sydney nrl club.
So you are ok with one club per 100k of pop

lol that means Sydney needs more clubs

jim_57

Staff member
Brisbane’s population has grown by a million plus since 95.

in that time the broncos crowds are down almost thirty percent and we lost the 15k the crushers got

broncos crowds now are largely static and have been for 15 years or so.

four clubs for a city of potentially five million is nothing like Sydney which averages around 650k pop per club

Why does anyone currently living in Brisbane need an alternative to the Broncos AND now the Dolphins as well? Let alone 2 more.

Even the Broncos are a shadow of what they should be and Dolphins haven’t kicked a ball in first grade yet. Let them build to be huge clubs before throwing another couple of shiny clubs at the city.

Wb1234

Referee
Why does anyone currently living in Brisbane need an alternative to the Broncos AND now the Dolphins as well? Let alone 2 more.

Even the Broncos are a shadow of what they should be and Dolphins haven’t kicked a ball in first grade yet. Let them build to be huge clubs before throwing another couple of shiny clubs at the city.
I said one more club in beisbane now two

because the derbies will help the existing clubs not hurt them

Perth Red

Post Whore

How’s that working out in Sydney? Pretty sure I’ve seen some sub 14k crowds for them there derby games. Mind you this is brisbane where the fans do seem more committed to their clubs Than Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He said they get no tv viewers
You ignored it and talked about crowds
No he was using one metric which was fta viewing figures. We don’t know what the actual tv audience is as we do t know how many watch on ptv, and why then ignore the other two key metrics which are attendances and memberships? Sydney drew 145k on fta the other night. That is shthouse for a rl city of 5mill plus people.

Pippen94

First Grade

Queensland should just have one club. Think of the audience & attendance they'd generate. Then we'd have room for Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne 2 & 3, Tassie & other teams nobody wants to watch..

Colk

First Grade
Cause derbies & history are interesting, rather then watching plastic clubs with no real fans & devoid of local players..

If that is your basis then you’ll never grow anything because history has to start from somewhere.

Based on your train of thought, the game would never have left Sydney and all the talented athletes you see play the game would have pursued other sports where they could earn more money. You can argue as much as you want but it is simple and demand economics

Then lastly and this is the English word I hate more than any other: real. It is often used in such a flippantly or incoherent fashion.

Define what a ‘real’ fan look like? Are they sitting on their backside watching a game on TV, are they going to games, are they buying merchandise? Or is it a location thing? Is it a socio-economic thing? Or is if something that you can only judge? It is such an perverse thing to make a judgement of authenticity on such a thing

Pippen94

First Grade
No he was using one metric which was fta viewing figures. We don’t know what the actual tv audience is as we do t know how many watch on ptv, and why then ignore the other two key metrics which are attendances and memberships? Sydney drew 145k on fta the other night. That is shthouse for a rl city of 5mill plus people.

Membership & attendance are worthless. Without TV money league would be nothing. Canberra have great membership & attendance but afl wouldn't even touch that place because it adds nothing to revenue. If NRL had time again..

Wb1234

Referee
In SL yes where you need to generate $6mill to survive, In nrl where you need to generate $15mill ayear to survive, not so great.
Oh well lucky the Sydney clubs have leagues clubs behind them hey.

I mean each one is worth more than all of super league combined

Wb1234

Referee
If that is your basis then you’ll never grow anything because history has to start from somewhere.

Based on your train of thought, the game would never have left Sydney and all the talented athletes you see play the game would have pursued other sports where they could earn more money. You can argue as much as you want but it is simple and demand economics

Then lastly and this is the English word I hate more than any other: real. It is often used in such a flippantly or incoherent fashion.

Define what a ‘real’ fan look like? Are they sitting on their backside watching a game on TV, are they going to games, are they buying merchandise? Or is it a location thing? Is it a socio-economic thing? Or is if something that you can only judge? It is such an perverse thing to make a judgement of authenticity on such a thing
There’s a fair argument that a Sydney competition plus the broncos would generate more per club than the current deal does

Perth Red

Post Whore
Queensland should just have one club. Think of the audience & attendance they'd generate. Then we'd have room for Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne 2 & 3, Tassie & other teams nobody wants to watch..
Even better just have the top eight clubs watched on tv. So that’s bye bye to half the Sydney clubs, then bring in the other big city clubs will generate the audience like the current ones And a couple more qlnd clubs as they are well watched. Bingo.

jim_57

Staff member

You said 4 in the city in the post I quoted.

Trying to create more derbies on top of derbies just makes them less appealing unless both teams are in form or have recent history. Look at Sydney, they have derbies every week but only a handful of them create much hype. That shouldn’t be the goal in Brisbane.

Wb1234

Referee
You said 4 in the city in the post I quoted.

Trying to create more derbies on top of derbies just makes them less appealing unless both teams are in form or have recent history. Look at Sydney, they have derbies every week but only a handful of them create much hype. That shouldn’t be the goal in Brisbane.
Qld doesn’t have a lot of derbies

and yeh my bad in my head I was lunping the titans in there

Latest posts