What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Nutz

Bench
Tigers have no worries ever not being able to use leichardt oval

you know the afl tried to get onto birchgrove oval (balmains original ground) and council wouldn’t let them lol
I didn't know that. I posted that famous first game there somewhere in the WT forum.
I'd laugh if someone did buy LO for WT not long after they finished the 40mil refurb ha ha.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Leichardt oval just got 40 million

the nrl still hasn’t done the stadium deal where the grand final stays in Sydney

that’s supposed to allocate another 800 million for stadia

assuming pvl plays nice and counts Penrith as part of it that still leaves close to 500 million left to spend

brookvale is first cab of the rank to replace the hill at say 200 to 250 million

still leaves a lot of money left for Newcastle Wollongong or shark park

Phil rothfield has been using his articles to push for shark park to get some cash so a modest stand where the hill is now could be on the cards

and the previous liberal fed govt spent 20 million on the new western grandstand so there’s a precedent of govts spending money on private stadia

on nso oval the ground has been maintained as is for decades it’s just a boutique little ground
Dolphins got Federal and Local council money to do the Kayo Stadium upgrades

Steel Saints

Juniors
I get the sense they dont have a choice. And again its so RL to be even in that situation.

I look at the Dolphins who didn't start from scratch. They were an existing QRL club in a heartland state. The alternative to the Bears is a Perth standalone team, where you are starting from scratch in a non heartland state.

With regards to Swans and Lions, both clubs are established today. However at one point,,weren't both clubs close to folding?

After hearing the John Sackson interview, it does seem like the bid will have attention to every detail on how the club will function.

Plus the broadcasters would be happy to have a familiar brand to sell and promote Perth matches on the east coast. At the end of the day, broadcasters have the gold, and would've provided expansion feedback to the NRL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I was thinking more of Perth v NZ warriors due to large kiwi expat community in Perth but I’m sure the storm would sell well in Perth and a crowd of 30k+ wouldn’t be that hard to achieve.
If they have any sense they’ll make it a Friday night opening game of the season v souths at optus.

Nuke

Staff member
Why souths. They draw well in Perth?
Souths have a lot of support over here, yeah. Rusty taking the Bunnies here for quite a few years in a row several years ago and them really pushing a Western membership really gained them a strong Bunnies following.

Nuke

Staff member
Good souths fanbase here and I believe it was the first ever game of the nswrl in April 1908.
seems fitting the first ever perth bears game should be against the same opposition And good for marketing the ko of the new club.
It could be Norths vs Souths in the west.

Latest posts