What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Vlad59

Bench
Some weirdos here seem to be more excited about one game being played in Sydney than the Perth based club being announced. Now that’s Sydney centric. The idea that a new club is required to play a home game thousands of kilometres away in its first season to placate a governing body is a joke. The sooner that arrangement dies the better. The bears are a shit stain on the game.

flippikat

Bench
No OFFICIAL confirmation from the NRL itself yet rhat they're in?

I guess from the tone of reporting that the NRL may have said a few weeks ago, privately/off the record to them "if you agree terms (Perth & Norths), you're in." and that detail has made it's way to media??

Wb1234

Referee

I guess from the tone of reporting that the NRL may have said a few weeks ago, privately/off the record to them "if you agree terms (Perth & Norths), you're in." and that detail has made it's way to media??
This is just confirming they are joining forces

they havent finished their bid document yet

Bukowski

Juniors

This is the most likely scenario. Bids arnt in yet so the NRL can't announce anything yet. They gotta act like it wasn't their idea.

flippikat

Bench
This is just confirming they are joining forces

they havent finished their bid document yet
Exactly, but every article & every social media post is screaming "We're BACK!" as if they have had that official confirmation.

Even if it's 99.99999% likely there's still that little chance the NRL may look at bids and say "hmm.. no", so it strikes me that there's some back-channel understanding between NRL, Norths & the NRLWA/Perth's bid that if Norths & Perth agree on the model then 100% they're in - only that decision can't be revealed until bids close.

Wb1234

Referee
Exactly, but every article & every social media post is screaming "We're BACK!" as if they have had that official confirmation.

Even if it's 99.99999% likely there's still that little chance the NRL may look at bids and say "hmm.. no", so it strikes me that there's some back-channel understanding between NRL, Norths & the NRLWA/Perth's bid that if Norths & Perth agree on the model then 100% they're in - only that decision can't be revealed until bids close.
There’s due process

and the existing nrl clubs still have to give their blessing so that’s why it’s not offical

existing clubs will want something back for agreeing to 3 new clubs (lots of cash)

and Perth were told from the start to deal with the bears

flippikat

Bench
This is the most likely scenario. Bids arnt in yet so the NRL can't announce anything yet. They gotta act like it wasn't their idea.
Exactly, the NRL has to be *seen* to going through the motions of a bid process, even though 2 out of 3 expansion spots (Perth Bears, PNG) are *conditionally* approved already.

Perth's condition being an agreement with a heritage club (done).

PNG's condition being a number of funding/infrastructure hoops to get through (work ongoing).

Perth is there, PNG could fall over - and that's I guess where the bids come in... those OTHER bids are applying for either one spot or two (depending on whether PNG meets their conditions).

final say

Juniors

I'm astonished that people still don't know how " news/ clickbait " works.
They're literally just today announced that they are an actual venture... still have to put an actual bid together...which is obviously why the NRL allowed an extension for bids.
There's no shame in the media that told us PNG was all done and dusted.

This means absolutely nothing.

Wb1234

Referee
Exactly, the NRL has to be *seen* to going through the motions of a bid process, even though 2 out of 3 expansion spots (Perth Bears, PNG) are *conditionally* approved already.

PNG's condition being a number of funding/infrastructure hoops to get through (work ongoing).

Perth is there, PNG could fall over - and that's I guess where the bids come in... those OTHER bids are applying for either one spot or two (depending on whether PNG meets their conditions).
Itll be Perth bears png and chch

bank it

Centy Coast

Juniors
I'm astonished that people still don't know how " news/ clickbait " works.
They're literally just today announced that they are an actual venture... still have to put an actual bid together...which is obviously why the NRL allowed an extension for bids.
There's no shame in the media that told us PNG was all done and dusted.

This means absolutely nothing.
They have signed off on it, the actual bid is ready to be submitted on Wednesday August 14 when it is due.

Bukowski

Juniors

Hopefully there is a strong bid from NZ. Like Perth, it's an obvious choice for one of the next franchises. Have they had enough time to put one together?

flippikat

Bench
Hopefully there is a strong bid from NZ. Like Perth, it's an obvious choice for one of the next franchises. Have they had enough time to put one together?
There's apparently several, but just 2 publicized ones (both Christchurch). Not sure whether any ONE of the NZ bids hits all the marks & checks all the boxes, though - which is the real concern.

Plus, there seems to be reluctance/resistance between the two publicized bids (South Island Kea & South Island NRL Bid) to join forces, which might create a more complete bid.

Wb1234

Referee
There's apparently several, but just 2 publicized ones (both Christchurch). Not sure whether any ONE of the NZ bids hits all the marks & checks all the boxes, though - which is the real concern.

Plus, there seems to be reluctance/resistance between the two publicized bids (South Island Kea & South Island NRL Bid) to join forces, which might create a more complete bid.
3 chch bids