What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

BuffaloRules

Coach
Brisbane 2 wasn’t allowed until 2015

game didn’t really have the money until now

clubs were underfunded for almost 20 years

now we get to see where rugby league would’ve ended up without the super league war

Yep… it’s gunna be good …What the game needs …

I still think the game is underfunded …. Looks like the NRL won’t be getting as much gambling money moving forward

Jamberoo

Juniors
South Melb have a side in the vic comp associated with the swans

they paid the bears zilch
They negotiated with the bears for use of their ip in return for a home game in Sydney and other concessions that the name and logo can’t change
I know you probably know as well, but the Swans moved all players and administration to Sydney in 1981/82 and have had no Victorian team since. The whole club moved, their trophies, etc are in Sydney.

Bears are not doing that. New club. Western Bears est. 2024.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Bears obviously negotiated on every one of their non-negotiables. Perth didn't have an alternate mascot option ready to go either. Cummins said they were agnostic towards how the identity would take shape.

100%? Only seen articles stating a majority.

I think I’ve said my piece on this matter ,,,

We are going off what has been reported in the Sydney papers … I guess this may not be the whole situation …let’s wait to see what is officially confirmed in the bid document …

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Yep… it’s gunna be good …What the game needs …

I still think the game is underfunded …. Looks like the NRL won’t be getting as much gambling money moving forward
Our tv deal is way under what it’s really worth

next two deals won’t even really reflect the value of expansion clubs as they grow tv ratings

loss of gaming revenue won’t hurt much other than clubs who get ground and jersey sponsorship

we will hit one billion revenue in the next five years

down the track who knows how high it goes

wb2027

Juniors
I know you probably know as well, but the Swans moved all players and administration to Sydney in 1981/82 and have had no Victorian team since. The whole club moved, their trophies, etc are in Sydney.

It's hard to move players when they're all long retired since "99.

The time gap makes it seem a lot more new than it is, but it's the same club revived in a new city with a name change to reflect it.

Wb1234

Referee

Got no idea lol

in 1982 I had just starting watching rugby league

Wb1234

Referee
It's hard to move players when they're all long retired since "99.

The time gap makes it seem a lot more new than it is, but it's the same club revived in a new city with a name change to reflect it.
Just wait people will say souths is a new club because they came back and played at homebush lol

wb2027

Juniors
Just wait people will say souths is a new club because they came back and played at homebush lol
This was my point about the stint when the Sydney Bulldogs and Sydney Tigers played out of Parramatta.

If a private group of investors not associated with or endorsed by The North Sydney Bears were the ones brokering the partnership with the WA consortium to have a team called the Bears then yes, I would say that's a new club.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Nope pissed off the admin, they finally shut the troll up, but I had to share that load, one goes we all go
Looks like a few of us got a few weeks on the sidelines.

I got done for bringing an argument from another platform to here. Not that I speak to anyone from here on other platforms.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Nope pissed off the admin, they finally shut the troll up, but I had to share that load, one goes we all go
Looks like a few of us got a few weeks on the sidelines.

I got done for bringing an argument from another platform to here. Not that I speak to anyone from here on other platforms.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What was the purchase price they paid for the Bears out of interest ? Edelston paid $6.3 mil for the Swans ….not bad moolah for the mid 80s..

Is this where the $30 million is going ?
That was to pay back the VFL after they had pumped ten mill in to keep them going.
No need, NSFC are happy to gift the brand in return for a lifelong partnership.