What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
Do you have the link ?

I corrected you earlier today already regarding the timing of the sale of the Swans
Do you really want to keep talking about the swans? Your moving into Wb territory :)

Back to the Bears, WA ownership is the best outcome we could have hoped for. Blows away any doubts about white anting to move back East, makes its mark as a genuine Perth club etc.

I applaud the Bears for what I am sure would have been a hard decision to let go of that non negotiable and after being burnt so badly in the past having trust in the WA consortium that it wont happen again.

Just need the official NRL rubber stamp now for 2027 entry!

Wb1234

Referee
Do you really want to keep talking about the swans? Your moving into Wb territory :)

Back to the Bears, WA ownership is the best outcome we could have hoped for. Blows away any doubts about white anting to move back East, makes its mark as a genuine Perth club etc.

I applaud the Bears for what I am sure would have been a hard decision to let go of that non negotiable and after being burnt so badly in the past having trust in the WA consortium that it wont happen again.

Another sensible post

Centy Coast

Juniors
The history of the North Sydney Bears from 1908 will continue on through the Western Bears, the two Premierships in 1921, 1922, minor premierships, wooden spoons they will all count.
On the back of the jersey the Western Bears will have similar to this North Sydney Bears polo shirt pictured.
I’m not fussed either way to tell you the truth.
I’ve been on both WA and Bears Facebook pages and there is just so much positively about the Western Bears.
I’ve already lined up having a few beers with Perth Red at the first game in WA in 2027.
I can’t wait.

IMG_5362.jpeg

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

NRL 2024: Western Bears key questions answered from latest expansion franchise​

The impending return of the Bears as part of the Perth expansion team has excited fans and club legends, but it has also raised some major questions. Here’s what we know so far.

Michael Carayannis, Peter Badel and Brent Read
August 11, 2024 - 8:00AM

Bears' reach agreement on NRL return to become 'Western Bears'

NRL: An agreement has been reached on a return to the NRL for the Bears, with the bid to become the next expansion team to be under the name the 'Western Bears'.

Some of North Sydney’s greatest players have thrown their support behind the Western Bears concept as they prepare for the club to re-enter the competition for the first time since 1999. North Sydney and Western Australia brokered a partnership agreement on Friday which will see the establishment of the Western Bears.

After two decades of false dawns and a flirtation with The Central Coast, Gold Coast, regional Queensland, PNG and the Pasifika, the Bears are finally back. Western Bears will finalise their bid proposal with the NRL on Wednesday before being announced as the game’s 18th team later this year.

North Sydney legends were left stunned by the news that finally the wait was over. Gary Larson was at a school reunion when he was told by this masthead on Friday night that the Bears were back.

“It means everything for the Bears to be part of the NRL,” Larson said. “It’s great stuff. There has been something missing. I never thought this day would ever come but at least now there is a team we can follow. '

“The NSW Cup team has been outstanding and they have had success but there hasn’t been a team at the top level. A lot of people have put in some great work and effort. Greg Florimo has held this club together for a long time. When the Bears run out I’ll be watching them. I’ll be there to see them run out as the Western Bears.”

KEY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BEARS REVIVAL​

KEY-QUESTIONS-ABOUT-THE-BEARS-REVIVAL_Kdgleiimc.jpg

Team name: Western Bears
Home ground: HBF Park, Perth.
Will North Sydney host any matches? North Sydney Oval will host a pre-season game. There will be a regular season game in NSW at either North Sydney, Allianz Stadium or Central Coast. The hope is it will be a heritage game against Manly where they will wear a traditional North Sydney Bears jersey.
Team colours: Red, Black, white and yellow
Logo: An adaptation of the traditional Bears logo.
How did this come about? Western Australia’s bid team wanted to revive the Reds. But they were told by the NRL that they had a better chance of being part of the competition if they aligned with the Bears. They also went down the path with Newtown but the NRL made it clear their preference was North Sydney. The deal almost fell apart in recent days until the Bears softened their demands on things such as board seats and matches in Sydney.
How will the board work? It is unlikely that North Sydney will have any board representation. Instead it will be made up of those from WA.
Will North Sydney Bears still exist? Yes. North Sydney will remain as the NSW Cup team and as the primary feeder club to Western Bears – like they are at the moment with Melbourne. However that may change should the NRL ever introduce a national reserve grade competition. North Sydney will continue to play various state-aged competitions.
What happens next? The Western Bears will finalise their submission by Wednesday when they will present their bid document to the NRL. It is expected that later this year they will be formally announced as the NRL’s 18th team to complete by 2027.
When they can they sign players? This is a question yet to be answered. The NRL may allow them to sign off-contract players from November 1 this year. But most likely they will have to wait until November 1 in 2025.
What about the NRL’s other expansion bids? PNG are expected to be announced as the 19th team also later this year but they won’t come into the competition until 2028. That will leave a second team in New Zealand or another Queensland team battling to be team 20 by 2030.

North Sydney Oval will host a pre-season fixture while a regular season game will take place at either North Sydney, Allianz Stadium or on The Central Coast. They hope that game will be against traditional arch rivals Manly. The rest of their home matches will be played in Perth.

NRL Hall of fame inductee Mark Graham, who played 146 games for North Sydney between 1981-88, backed the resurrection of the Bears.

“Wonderful news if it happens,” Graham said. “There will lots of people very happy people."

“It’s a good idea to have another team in the competition and to add it with a team who has a bit of history. The Bears run out every weekend (at NSW Cup level) but for the club to get back in the big league there will be hundreds of thousands of people who are very happy.”

Former Norths centre Ben Ikin, now the Queensland Rugby League boss, said the Bears’ return from hibernation would be a massive shot in the arm for the NRL.

“The Bears are a foundation club who have been kept alive in the second-tier through the hard work and unwavering belief of some very committed individuals,” Ikin said. I can’t imagine how they must be feeling on hearing this news."

“Not forgetting all those long-suffering Bears fans who are one-step closer to seeing the red-and-black back in the elite game. It’s wonderful news. There might be a few crazy enough to drive to Perth and back for the home games.”
I know it's been said a thousand times on here, but what's the media's obsession with wanting the Bears to play Manly at NSO? Manly is their bitter rival that f**ked them over in the joint venture. Why would they allow Manly to stay home in Sydney while the Bears do the trip across from Perth, essentially handing Manly the advantage?

Manly would be the first team the Bears will want to stick on a long flight to Perth every year

Perth Red

Post Whore
I know it's been said a thousand times on here, but what's the media's obsession with wanting the Bears to play Manly at NSO? Manly is their bitter rival that f**ked them over in the joint venture. Why would they allow Manly to stay home in Sydney while the Bears do the trip across from Perth, essentially handing Manly the advantage?

Manly would be the first team the Bears will want to stick on a long flight to Perth every year
Makes sense at Allianz from a revenue perspective, makes no sense at NSO. Might as well use that for what would be a low drawing game in Perth given the NS fans will fill it regardless.
The manly at nso is just pure nostalgia from the Sydney media.

BuffaloRules

Coach

It’s Forrest Gump level dumb not to make Manly make that trip to Perth

Centy Coast

Juniors

I’ve said this over and over and over again, f#ck Manly, why give them the advantage of a 10 min drive as opposed to the Western Bears travelling across Australia for a game at NSO.
I’ve heard that the NSO game may only be a pre-season trial, which is fine by me, I’ve also heard other teams thrown up like South Sydney, the NZ Warriors, and mainly the North QLD Cowboys.
The Warriors game wouldn’t be a good idea to take to Sydney as Perth has a very large Polynesian league community.
The Cowboys were North Sydney’s very last match in the NRL in 1999 which the Bears won 28-18.

Wb1234

Referee
Cause the stadium will be full of people hating manly

but it will sell out Allianz and saves council spending any money on bear park

does hbf become bear park too ?

Bukowski

Juniors
The history of the North Sydney Bears from 1908 will continue on through the Western Bears, the two Premierships in 1921, 1922, minor premierships, wooden spoons they will all count.
On the back of the jersey the Western Bears will have similar to this North Sydney Bears polo shirt pictured.
I’ve been on both WA and Bears Facebook pages and there is just so much positively about the Western Bears.
I’ve already lined up having a few beers with Perth Red at the first game in WA in 2027.
I can’t wait.

View attachment 92486
This is what wests tigers do with balmain and Western suburbs emblems.
Nice touch

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cause the stadium will be full of people hating manly

but it will sell out Allianz and saves council spending any money on bear park

does hbf become bear park too ?
perth oval is its historic name

Perth rectangular stadium is its modern name

"Insert sponsor here" Park is what it gets called.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I can’t wait.

View attachment 92486
League Unlimited meetup? We should do more of those with this community

flippikat

Bench

You've said it well. There's a genuine desire for Norths to make this work - right down to being flexible on what previously were bottom lines, and making concessions that clearly favor the Perth side *if* the working relationship breaks down.

RedVee

First Grade
Dunno who edlestein bought them off but he was the owner

might e been owned by your afl before that

then he sold them to someone else
It’s pretty much exactly what the situation with the bears is despite what @BuffaloRules says lol
Wasn’t it a consortium including Mike Willisee and a couple of others as owners when they moved to Sydney? Or did they come in after the Pink Pantera fiasco? Edelstein also claimed to buy Cronulla… that only lasted a few days I think. Shonk.

Latest posts