What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think I had you all wrong, I thought you were a bloke but no bloke could maintain this level of bitterness.
It's a bidding process mate, usually means they're expecting a bid...
They were told directly on several occasions that a substantial sum will be required! A large bid!
Yet for a hundred million dollar business they offered zero...
Now you're trying to push a narrative that the NRL are incompetent..
Incompetence is giving away a hundred million dollar franchise for nothing.

You know all that but you're just a self serving arsehole and a bad loser.
pretty obvious no one put in a 'large' fee number given all the bids bar our taxpayer one were criticised. So with that in mind does it become the fault of the 7 bidders or the bid process itself? hmmmm.

An NRL club isn't worth $100mil lol Especially a new start up. 50% of Dragons sold for $10mill. Knights and Titans licenses sold for $2mill. LAst year Souths, oneof the games biggest clubs was valued at $46mill.

If you could buy a $100mill company for $50mill that was delivering strong annual returns trust me there would be a dozen groups knocking down Vlandys door to buy the license. That there is only one and they are die hard WA RL fans tells you something.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There seems to be conflicting views on this forum, probably because most of us don't really have a clue what is going on.

Some are saying that the Western Bears have to pay an entry/license fee as they would be sharing the pie, which is fare enough. But did the Dolphins pay an entry/license fee?

Others are saying it's not a fee but a contingency they have to put up in case things go pear shaped and the Dolphins didn't have to because they have a leagues club with milions of dollars of assets backing them. In most cases I would suggest the leagues and football clubs are 2 separate legal entities, and while closely aligned, there is no guarantee that the leagues club will support the football club if it went pear shaped unless there is a legally binding document. I would suggest a lot of the leagues club members would not be happy having to bail out a football team if they are only members of the club and enjoy going to the club with no interest in what the football team is doing.

Others are calling it a 'bribe' to be paid to the existing clubs to vote the Western Bears in.

Does anyone really know what is happening or are people writing stuff depending on which side of the fence they are sitting.
Well I can tell you the important people in the West believe its a cash grab to lube next months license negotiations. And thats from the horses mouth. Its not a guarantee to be held in case things go pear shape, its not even a bribe as the other clubs all support Perth's inclusion. Its literally to give NRL some cash to negotiate what they want to see in the next 5 year license agreement. Thats at least the perception over here from one of the key players in this.

Vlad59

Bench
pretty obvious no one put in a 'large' fee number given all the bids bar our taxpayer one were criticised. So with that in mind does it become the fault of the 7 bidders or the bid process itself? hmmmm.

An NRL club isn't worth $100mil lol Especially a new start up. 50% of Dragons sold for $10mill. Knights and Titans licenses sold for $2mill. LAst year Souths, oneof the games biggest clubs was valued at $46mill.

If you could buy a $100mill company for $50mill that was delivering strong annual returns trust me there would be a dozen groups knocking down Vlandys door to buy the license. That there is only one and they are die hard WA RL fans tells you something.
Your principal backer and spokesperson is a pawn broker and his ‘bid’ was $0

BuffaloRules

Coach
There seems to be conflicting views on this forum, probably because most of us don't really have a clue what is going on.

Some are saying that the Western Bears have to pay an entry/license fee as they would be sharing the pie, which is fare enough. But did the Dolphins pay an entry/license fee?

Others are saying it's not a fee but a contingency they have to put up in case things go pear shaped and the Dolphins didn't have to because they have a leagues club with milions of dollars of assets backing them. In most cases I would suggest the leagues and football clubs are 2 separate legal entities, and while closely aligned, there is no guarantee that the leagues club will support the football club if it went pear shaped unless there is a legally binding document. I would suggest a lot of the leagues club members would not be happy having to bail out a football team if they are only members of the club and enjoy going to the club with no interest in what the football team is doing.

Others are calling it a 'bribe' to be paid to the existing clubs to vote the Western Bears in.

Does anyone really know what is happening or are people writing stuff depending on which side of the fence they are sitting.

I mean no one here would know the full story … although I would suggest that close to everything reported in the media to date has been posted here ..whatever that’s worth

Why is it relevant what the Dolphins did ?

different bids, different cities , different times … and things change anyway in business …there is no reason what happens for one needs to be replicated for the other

Last edited:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Well I can tell you the important people in the West believe its a cash grab to lube next months license negotiations. And thats from the horses mouth.
Only people that matter now are PVL & Roger Cook.

That horse you’re talking about is a mule and he ran out of steam.
homer simpson running GIF

Perth Red

Post Whore
It doesn’t matter what Dolphins did or didn’t do.

Much like it didn’t matter what Titans did or didn’t do which was a completely different set of prerequisites to Dolphins. At the time no one battered an eye lid that Dolphins had to prove their net worth as both an organisation, business entity and football operations.

Things change. That’s business. People need to move on and stop using Dolphins set of circumstances as an excuse for Western Bears set of circumstances.
Why havent Norths fronted up with a $20mill offer for a bigger share in the club?

Maximus

Coach
$20m isn’t a bribe. It’s an entry fee, license fee to participate in taking a slice of the pie that the other 17 clubs create.

Correct, so the the justification for waiving the Dolphins fee makes no sense.

Arguing that there is a fee to get a slice of the pie, but then that other group doesn't need to pay for their slice because they could bake their own pie if needed doesn't make any sense.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why did WA Consortium reject Bears investors to begin with? That’s what you need to be asking yourself ol’ chap.
who are these investors and where is the evidence they were rejected? ol' chap

the bid thought it had raised enough with $30mill. It needs another $20mill, time for Norths to step up or step off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does it want the team or not?
yes but only up to a point. Its put $450mill on the table to support the club and the game to be successful. Spending $20mill of WA tax payer money on a gift to east coast NRL clubs will go down well with the WA electorate, opposition will have a field day lol.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Correct, so the the justification for waiving the Dolphins fee makes no sense.

Arguing that there is a fee to get a slice of the pie, but then that other group doesn't need to pay for their slice because they could bake their own pie if needed doesn't make any sense.
Why doesn’t it make sense? You think what applies to one, applies to another in the business world? Surely you’re not that naive.

Things change, adapt to them and move on.

Trifili13

Juniors
Granted that the NRL has been on the up the last couple of years with tv viewers and gameday attendences and the other flow on effects, but to have 1 team enter for free just a few years ago and another have to pay $20m (if that is the correct number) doesn't sound right.

flippikat

First Grade
Sorry, do I have to pay a fine rather than a suspension from the LU forum as "it is not my go" or "I'm a good bloke" or "there were mitigating circumstances"?
Hehehe.. I assume the admins will be billing you shortly ;)

But in all seriousness, it's good to see points being made here that step aside from bias (against PVL or against the Perth bid) and try to analyze the setup of this entry fee.

You raise a great point that if the entry fee was/is charged as a safeguard against the event of an expansion club's failure, then shouldn't that fee be ringfenced for that contingency (if even for a short/medium term of x years) instead of just dividing it up and passing it to incumbent clubs?

Maximus

Coach
I mean no one here would know the full story … although I would suggest that close to everything reported in the media to date has been posted here ..

Why is it relevant what the Dolphins did ?

different bids, different cities , different times … and things change anyway in business …there is no reason what happens for one needs to be replicated for the other

It's extremely relevant. Why would someone put up $20m when a team from only a couple of years ago didn't have to? Why would they put up the money when the NRL can just waive it for the next team that comes along?

The NRL went too big and it blew up in their face.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
who are these investors and where is the evidence they were rejected? ol' chap
I asked you earlier this week if you’re actually a supporter of a WA based side or a WA based side that requires Cumins to be part of it.

The more the week passes the more it’s clear that you’re a Cumins supporter first and foremost and a WA club by any other means second.

Why are the names of the investors important?

Cumins rejected them therefore no Norths board seats. Cumins wanted it to be fully WA owned and operated (paranoid control) and when he couldn’t achieve this he reached out to Sydney based business people to invest into it instead. Anything but the Bears investors it seems.

Vlad59

Bench
It's extremely relevant. Why would someone put up $20m when a team from only a couple of years ago didn't have to? Why would they put up the money when the NRL can just waive it for the next team that comes along?

The NRL went too big and it blew up in their face.
Because they were told it was part of the process this time around. Keep up old boy.

Latest posts