What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Pippen94

First Grade
There seems to be conflicting views on this forum, probably because most of us don't really have a clue what is going on.

Some are saying that the Western Bears have to pay an entry/license fee as they would be sharing the pie, which is fare enough. But did the Dolphins pay an entry/license fee?

Others are saying it's not a fee but a contingency they have to put up in case things go pear shaped and the Dolphins didn't have to because they have a leagues club with milions of dollars of assets backing them. In most cases I would suggest the leagues and football clubs are 2 separate legal entities, and while closely aligned, there is no guarantee that the leagues club will support the football club if it went pear shaped unless there is a legally binding document. I would suggest a lot of the leagues club members would not be happy having to bail out a football team if they are only members of the club and enjoy going to the club with no interest in what the football team is doing.

Others are calling it a 'bribe' to be paid to the existing clubs to vote the Western Bears in.

Does anyone really know what is happening or are people writing stuff depending on which side of the fence they are sitting.

NRL advised western bears of fee in July. Western Bears has been touting army of WA investors for probably years, however it has emerged Sydney kings owners are now backers.

Pippen94

First Grade
One of my big worries here is that NRL seem to care more about (1) Norths and (2) Having more teams for TV deal and growing the game in WA seems a distant (3) in priority.

Is Western Bears truly about supporting and growing the game in WA like we all want or is it just a mechanic to get Norths back??

Don't worry.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Western Bears has been touting army of WA investors for probably years, however it has emerged Sydney kings owners are now backers.
not like you to miss the point lol.
sure $476 mill of WA investment + $4mill and know how from a successful sports and media company in Sydney is outrageous isnt it?

Wb1234

Immortal
Never met the man. Its good for you to deflect onto me personally to avoid having to answer questions but maybe you should consider whats being asked rather than whose asking it? The irony is the bid not getting up puts the chances of you ever seeing your beloved Bears back in the NRL at slim to none. You should be praying the bid can work this out. This your best, and maybe last, chance to follow an NRL Bears team.

You cant throw out a statement like that without having some evidence that it actually happened. How do you know that happened? what was the offer they made? who made it? Maybe there was very good reasons the bid team turned some offers down. Or maybe there wasnt any and these NS investors didnt materialise? Id suggest given the Sydney investors are only putting in $4mil it wasnt essential for the bid to accept them and the reason they did was more to do with what they bring to the table than the money they put in wouldnt you?

But wouldnt you agree if Norths want a bigger say in the club putting in an offer to pay the license fee now would be a sensible thing to do? Or maybe Norths dont care enough to part with $20mill?
Red and black bear actually knows what’s going on with this bid unlike you

He’s been telling me a stuff a week before it happens and he’s been right every time

And the bears are coming in 100 percent. Cummins is the one that is at risk of missing out

taipan

Referee
My 50c rambling rant .
The NRL is in the entertainment business existing in a small country( population of 26m) .
This business is in the most competitive sporting market on this lump of orbiting granite .
The NRL/News had established an NRL club in the Victorian market dominated by a game of"every which way but loose."
The Melbourne Storm without the largesse provide by News would have folded within a sparrow fart of time.
It took many years before that club grew their crowds/membership and to become profitable, thanks in part to having a group of decent players.
This to my layman's view explains why PVL/Abdo et al played hard ball now ,despite wanting a WA team.
Yes .There is interest in WA. Yes they get decent crowds at NRL/SOO games.TV ratings fair at best.
But WA is a fumble ball state like Victoria(with many Corps),and the competition for the WA consumers' dollar is tougher.Else there would be more offers on the table than Cummins one. Ziggy Rainforest is tied up with Union plus the iron ore market has its issues.
The NRL has to protect its investment in the game and wants long term security for their current & future teams.It's not an unreasonable ask running a multi million dollar business to ensure the next team is long term viable. Not a smell of an oil rag or one to be rescued shortly after admission.
Let's face it my club has had its share of sh*t share financial moments in the past, as have others.
The big unknown have the two TV outlets (forget Fox ATM) spelt out to PVL etc, that based on current & future demand for FTA the money may not be there in the amounts expected. Ch7 are not likely to be bidders having paid too much for the current deal .Forget ch10 new Yankee owner Ellison may well consider that outlet a waste of money.Then who knows what Rupert is gong to do with TV.
Decisions. decisions .

Wb1234

Immortal
Well I can tell you the important people in the West believe its a cash grab to lube next months license negotiations. And thats from the horses mouth. Its not a guarantee to be held in case things go pear shape, its not even a bribe as the other clubs all support Perth's inclusion. Its literally to give NRL some cash to negotiate what they want to see in the next 5 year license agreement. Thats at least the perception over here from one of the key players in this.
Perth red complaining when the arlc is doing its job

Even funnier he’s argued forever how visionary AFL is for owning and managing the giants

But now the nrl want to cut out his mate Cummins he’s against it

Vlad59

Bench
My 50c rambling rant .
The NRL is in the entertainment business existing in a small country( population of 26m) .
This business is in the most competitive sporting market on this lump of orbiting granite .
The NRL/News had established an NRL club in the Victorian market dominated by a game of"every which way but loose."
The Melbourne Storm without the largesse provide by News would have folded within a sparrow fart of time.
It took many years before that club grew their crowds/membership and to become profitable, thanks in part to having a group of decent players.
This to my layman's view explains why PVL/Abdo et al played hard ball now ,despite wanting a WA team.
Yes .There is interest in WA. Yes they get decent crowds at NRL/SOO games.TV ratings fair at best.
But WA is a fumble ball state like Victoria(with many Corps),and the competition for the WA consumers' dollar is tougher.Else there would be more offers on the table than Cummins one. Ziggy Rainforest is tied up with Union plus the iron ore market has its issues.
The NRL has to protect its investment in the game and wants long term security for their current & future teams.It's not an unreasonable ask running a multi million dollar business to ensure the next team is long term viable. Not a smell of an oil rag or one to be rescued shortly after admission.
Let's face it my club has had its share of sh*t share financial moments in the past, as have others.
The big unknown have the two TV outlets (forget Fox ATM) spelt out to PVL etc, that based on current & future demand for FTA the money may not be there in the amounts expected. Ch7 are not likely to be bidders having paid too much for the current deal .Forget ch10 new Yankee owner Ellison may well consider that outlet a waste of money.Then who knows what Rupert is gong to do with TV.
Decisions. decisions .
Good post. That’s why the comparison with the deal that the dolphins got is utter nonsense. Two completely different sets of circumstances.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My 50c rambling rant .
Decisions. decisions .
The license fee has nothing to do with security or protecting the clubs long term viability. That is what a bank surety would do. The NRl arent taking this $20mill and sticking it in the bank just in case they need it if the club falls over in a few years time. Where people have that idea from I dont know.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth red complaining when the arlc is doing its job

Even funnier he’s argued forever how visionary AFL is for owning and managing the giants

But now the nrl want to cut out his mate Cummins he’s against it
The NRL arent the AFL, they wont be pumping resources into it to make it a glowing success. How did the Knights and Titans fair under their ownership? If I had confidence the NRl would do it properly then no issue, but nothing I've seen from them suggests they will. Not to mention they havent even made that offer lol. Their Plan B was not them owning it I can tell you that much.

Wb1234

Immortal
The knights and titans were both broke

The nrl stabilised the ship (Newcastle were hugely in the red) and injected money into both clubs until they were stable and could be sold

In both cases the arl wrote off the loans made