What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

taipan

Referee
Its not but given this is Cook's pet project, and they've done it before for Force and Glory I wouldnt say its a stretch to say they would have come to the party. Much easier fort hem than forking out $20mill cash to give to other NRl clubs. Though that might still happen as well.

If the money isnt there then either A) factor that into the process, dont foster it on the bids after the event, or B) dont expand if you cant afford it and you dont think it will bring in the additional revenue to cover the cost. Taking a short term sugar hit if it doesnt stack up long term seems somewhat dumb doesn't it?
All I have to say is.Because it's become boring as batsh*t TBH.
If Cummins & his team had been briefed prior to(July) that a licence fee would apply & they did nothing about it, thinking the NRL was bluffing ,they only have themselves to blame.
IMO to impose a licence fee suggests the bid had a number of flaws ,asset backing being one.This is not the RL of the 60s -80s run by passionate former rl players & officials, this is a business run by people with business acumen.
Of course the WA Govt is all for the expansion ,but in a WA state their taxpayers would not be pleased for big govt outlays to a new franchise.
If I were a bidder I would have decent financial backing which would have been able to ensure bank guarantees with various directors committing.
The thing that worries me ,why are there not more WA bidders or wealthy individuals prepared to underpin the bid.
The bid has to be water tight.

taipan

Referee
How could the NRL have not known about those two blokes, it was all over the papers and at that stage they were only talking about always wanting to own or part own an NRL team.
A simple enquiry from the NRL at that stage would have confirmed a) they were already in b) they weren`t, or c) they had no intention of.
Not sure what the problem was here.

Maybe a timing factor the original bid being full of holes the bid asked to be upgraded ,so they brought in these 2 guys, one of whom was sacked by the NRL to boost the bid.
I'd be a bit edgy if I sacked someone and he later became part of deal I was negotiating.
It's fair to suggest the people within the NRL including PVL & Abdo hardly lacking in finance would have treated the shebang so casually.Bear in mind the final decision is made by the board, not just these two.

taipan

Referee
Because the A-LEAGUE is a Ponzi scheme that will fall over before 2030.

This fee is literally the only way they raise any revenue.

Whereas $20M is a fart in the Ocean for the NRL. It would cover 4 corporate lunches at best
Couldn't give a rat's quoit about the A League growth whatever.
The fact is the A league required $18m based on the code & new club's situation. If they fold I loose zero sleep.
The NRL now required a licence fee based on the WA bid situation.
Why the hell do you think the NRL is fireproofing itself with the purchase of money making assets. Because it sees roadblocks ahead that may well impact their revenues.
I mentioned ch10 on shaky ground with their Yankee owners wanting to slash & burn.Ch7 has paid a huge sum for the fumblers and doubt they will be strong bidders for NRL content.
So that would leave Nein ,Fox(and the Murdochs are looking at selling)and streaming.
Oh and China getting into deep financial sh*t.

Cactus

Juniors
I mentioned ch10 on shaky ground with their Yankee owners wanting to slash & burn.Ch7 has paid a huge sum for the fumblers and doubt they will be strong bidders for NRL content.
So that would leave Nein ,Fox(and the Murdochs are looking at selling)and streaming.
Oh and China getting into deep financial sh*t.
And the Middle East conflict heavily expands into Iran who then call upon the axis of evil North Korea & Russia for help, which ropes in the USA while opening the door for China to advance against Taiwan thus creating WW3.

But not to worry. We have a PVL.