What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Nuke

Staff member
Anyone else here old enough to remember spirographs? You put your pen in the hole of one of those plastic circles and it goes around and around and you make pretty patterns on the paper.

I had one as a kid, and I think it went round in circles a lot less than what the conversation does in this thread a lot of the days at the moment.

Canard

Immortal
I would love Perth to be in the NRL, but you don't get in without bringing something to the table.

Perth is a nice to have for the NRL rather than being essential so they have to show they are viable and they have to pay tribute to the clubs that dug the well and made it a billion dollar sport.

The NRL aren't going to (rightly so) fund a multi-million dollar GWS style sink hole.
They are going to have to invest 100s of millions in starting up a club, training facilities, administration, etc etc

Hamstringing the only true expansion club in 30 years is a poor idea, and people should feel dumb for supporting it.

For mine, the NRL should own it, and run it for a decade or so set it up, and sell it off thereafter.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Anyone else here old enough to remember spirographs? You put your pen in the hole of one of those plastic circles and it goes around and around and you make pretty patterns on the paper.

I had one as a kid, and I think it went round in circles a lot less than what the conversation does in this thread a lot of the days at the moment.
You can get an app for that now.

Centy Coast

Juniors
They are going to have to invest 100s of millions in starting up a club, training facilities, administration, etc etc

Hamstringing the only true expansion club in 30 years is a poor idea, and people should feel dumb for supporting it.

For mine, the NRL should own it, and run it for a decade or so set it up, and sell it off thereafter.
So if the NRL initially own the WA Bears bid do they have to pay the expansion bribe/fee ?.

Trifili13

Juniors
If the NRL wanted a BG that some on here are suggesting in case Perth goes belly up and the NRL can drawn on, then you stipulate a figure like they do in all contractual situations, you don't put 'pay what you want'.

If it is a licence fee as you are getting a slice of the NRL revenue pie, fair enough. If figures in the press are to be believed, then why is Perth being asked for $20m and PNG is paying $60m for basically the same slice? Shouldn't it be close to the same fee? And don't forget the $60m is being paid by Australian taxpayers so PNG unlike a private business doesn't care about any return on investment. I'd suggest the $60m was negotiated between the NRL and the Aust Govt for what the NRL wanted as a pay off to let a PNG team in, and PNG Govt couldn't give a crap about the amount so long as they got a team and someone else is paying for it.

If $60m is the buy-in figure or licence fee, can't see too many takers. Does Brisbane Tigers have $60m in cash hanging around to pay for a licence fee, which would only go up if the pie gets bigger and existing clubs want to maintain the size of their slice?

wb2027

Juniors
if you expect $20mill you dont ask if someone wants to pay you 'something'. Its ludicrous.
Perhaps the NRL should've started the bidding at a figure, so "something" had to be higher.

Though it does also seem stupid to come across that section in the bid document and presume that leaving it at zero was acceptable.

Wb1234

Immortal
Which I actually have no problem with, as long as its consistent, mandatory and applies to everyone. In which case they should have decided it in August and set it out and how much it is in the bid criteria, not made it an issue in October! That woudl have given the bids the opportunity to decide if they think it was worth bidding or not.

Can’t wait for the meltdown when nz2 don’t pay a license fee or a very small one and Perth had to pay a large one

Matt_CBY

Juniors
There is movement happening in the background.

Still working through finer details of what ownership model looks like.

Looking likely that new investors will be locked in shortly. That’s being negotiated directly between them and PVL/ARLC.
Definition of “shortly” in this context is? (Not being smart arse)

Latest posts