What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA Reds, Development Academy's

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
Hi all.

As taken from the WA Rugby League webpage:-

---

WA REDS JUNIOR ACADEMY

As a result of a major restructure of the Western Australian Rugby League and the WA Reds, the WA Reds Junior Development Academy has developed the Reds Elite Athlete Programme (REAP). This programme is designed to give our Junior players the opportunity to reach their optimal potential in Rugby League.
The WA Reds Junior Development Academy with an open invitation to all 12 -18 Year olds commenced on Monday 19th October 2009.
The academy is centred on the ages 13-15 (Junior Academy) and 16-18 (Senior Academy). The Senior Academy will participate in the 2010 Under 18 SG Ball Competition in NSW and it is anticipated that the Junior Academy will join the Under 16 Harold Matthews Competition in 2011.
The training programme has been developed and structured for:
• Strength and Conditioning
• Skills Coaching
• Player Welfare
• Diet and Nutrition
• Injury Prevention and rehabilitation
• Psychological
• Life Skills
The Academy currently has an open invitation for all 12-18 years to participate in the initial training. Final selection of squads will be determined on 30 November.
Training – Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 6.00pm
Centenary Park, Daley St., Belmont.
Please contact the WARL Office during normal business hours for further details on 08 9228 9275.

--

Exactly what is needed if you ask me. Sensational effort. I hope they manage to pool the resources needed to make this work, and bring success to the development of players.... as it is essential to a successful bid, and to improvement in players conditioning.

footy watch

Juniors
that should be part of the standard process taken to ensure league will develop in west aust anyway. to have sg ball team and matthews to follow is a waste of time and money.

1.huge costs in travel.
2.travel will interfere with their studies.
3.kids are not mature enough to handle the difficulties in preparing your body for and after travel to back up for the following week.
4.where do they go after they turn 18???? back to park footy or the odd good player will be signed by another club in nrl.

just sounds like propaganda b@#$%*&t.. seems the admininstrators want to hold on to their massive inflated salaries.

charlie frith

Juniors
It's a good concept. Get your junior development in place and show you're fair dinkum. SG Ball and H Matts might be asking a bit too much though with the travel for school kids. They're just trying to put themselves on a level playing field with other NRL clubs and trying to give WA kids some form of pathway. Then again, it's only about 10 rounds and only half will be away games. Why not?

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
just sounds like propaganda b@#$%*&t.. seems the admininstrators want to hold on to their massive inflated salaries.

That's a very cynical and pessimistic view point.

If you know of a better strategy that will work, considering all difficulties they face, please feel welcome to offer a solution?

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
It's a good concept. Get your junior development in place and show you're fair dinkum. SG Ball and H Matts might be asking a bit too much though with the travel for school kids. They're just trying to put themselves on a level playing field with other NRL clubs and trying to give WA kids some form of pathway. Then again, it's only about 10 rounds and only half will be away games. Why not?

I agree. It might be demanding, but as you say, only 5 trips per year will be interstate; of which the same group may not travel for each trip.... and those that do, I'm sure will have support of the parents involved ... so I don't see any issues personally.

I just hope it all works out!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nic you must be happy as I know this lack of good quality training programmes was one of your big issues.

Footy Watch, this is another small step forward and if it means more WA Jnr Rl players don't defect to the WARU or soccer when they turn 15 and get a shot at the NRL (hopefully one day without having to leave WA!) then its a great initiative.

I am imagining the only way they have got the ARL funding to run this is by including the teams in the NSW comp.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
Nic you must be happy as I know this lack of good quality training programmes was one of your big issues.

Absolutely! . As you know, I was going to write a pretty large proposal outlining why such a program would be, and should be created. So , fortunately , they were already in the same head-space and made it a reality!

WA Players (conditioning wise) will still be behind those in the Eastern States; but it'll reduce the gap and increase the exposure - which will only benefit the players, and hopefully so too our bidding hopes.

nswred10

Juniors
Due to people like footy watch that WA will never progress. Some people are so narrow minded and im sure they just dont want the game to grow. How about congratulate the WARL for taking a brave step to offer the young players of perth a path way to improved Football. If the knockers dont like it... well ooooniion is always available... now that sport is well administered in Perth Their NATIONAL u18 comp is??????? say no more.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fortunatley NSWred most of us don't share Footy watch's opinons!

ps we are progressing!

Kaivitii

Juniors
Any development opportunity would be of value to the players. I'm still not clear how they plan to run the camp or trial in NSW to get a pool of about 10 players to be the core of the first year team, I thought that had been mentioned at some point. If you bring kids over then I imagine they would be guarenteed a game while the WA boys fill in around. It is more of a 'team in WA'to start than a 'WA team'. Our 18s have finished school - you bring 18s from NSW they are still looking to finish school - you won't see them ditch school as the rugby programs give them big opportunities for exposure and things like the Australian 18s tours. So do we put them in a school here?