What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wa reds sg ball off-season

Just read an article on the warugbyleague site called
WA REDS SG BALL OFF-SEASON

As a rugby league supporter i understand the need for kids to be fit and in good condition to play one of the hardest games on earth.

But this paragraph left me a bit taken aback:
"A minimum physical requirement will be introduced this coming season to ensure local players are physically ready to be a part of the WA Reds training squad. These physical requirements will include body weight, body fat percentage, fitness and strength. Players who do not meet minimum requirements in these fields will not be selected in the 2013 WA Reds training squad."

Now sure kids shouldn't be fat slobs and not be able to run 10m's. But all these factors can be quite decieving on the football pitch. There are some players who are natural footballers but dont necessarily have the body type to meet these requirements. Countless players have made NRL careers and didn't have the perfect body type for the game. Plus some of these kids are young men and still filling into their bodies. I just think instead of turning local products away before the squad is decided, give the kids a chance to show what they can do. Do an inhouse trial, or locals vs imports game if need be. Ideally there would be no need for eastern states players and a pure local team would be wanted.

The constant training through the off season is a great initiative. But that paragraph, and the thought of turning kids away if they dont cut it according to someones opinion is not the right idea.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hear what your saying but it is a level of professionalism that is expected at SG Ball level. They are not so much schoolkids as future professionals in most teams. It is the elite U18's comp in the world and the standards are very high.

I am sure if there was a Greg Inglis or Jamie Lyon in the trials their skills would see them through.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
The thought of turning kids away if they dont cut it according to someones opinion is not the right idea.

I respectfully disagree, PRL.

I'm a sport scientist; and operate at the high performance level (granted, a different football code, though the identical premise remains).

First of all, it is not "according to someones opinion". Targets are rarely ambiguous figures plucked out of thin air, rather a calculated decision on the basis of evidence; comparable evidence from similarly equivalent fields. Targets will set with the understanding of physical maturity levels given the age-group at hand.

Secondly, I think you greatly underestimate the physical capacity of these young adults. A major problem with physical development in Australia at large is this concept that kids are too young to be given rigorous (but periodised) training programs. To be a professional athlete, you must train as a professional athlete. There is no harm in teaching these kids lessons now, which will benefit them in the future. In fact, this idea by the current SG Ball conditioning coach is a fantastic one. It will enable the team to start their preseason fitness regime at a much higher foundation/benchmark. Given that our previous SG Ball squads have physically been dominated by essentially every other side (because they set high targets); it would be negligent of our own side not to do the same.

Kids play sport for fun. That is fine. Though the SG Ball is a legitimate developmental pathway into professional sport; therefore winning does matter, skills do matter, and physical development definitely matters. I applaud whoever is in control of the conditioning for taking a hard-line approach.

However, to re-iterate to you. The "minimum fitness targets" will be just that. Minimum targets. They will be achievable by essentially everyone who is remotely serious about trying out for a position; and might be specific to position. The fitness targets as a whole will not be used to "make or break" anyone. They will be used to split those who are serious from those who aren't.... the rest of the decision will be based on skill, game-sense, awareness, and so forth. Fitness is just one component, but in the developmental stages; particularly at this developmental stage; it's a very important component.