What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA Reds v Windsor Wolves - Round 6

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good to see you supporting them DragonWest. Agree with what you said and it seems the story of our season so far, switching off for 20 minute periods (usually in the first half but this week we saved it for the beginning of the second!)

Fuller is doing a brilliant job in the conditioning side of it and the team certainly tend to come strong in the last 25minutes.

Next home game is against the weakest team in the comp so hopefuly we can romp to a victory in front of another big Saturday night crowd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ps Have to say I didn't like the playing of the music during the game. The WAR zone can make its own atmosphere, we don't need it to be piped!

joondalup_giant

Staff member
I SEE RED I SEE RED I SEE RED!! I SEE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

f**kin shat me off when they played it for about 2 mins straight!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally, although done to death, I would rather us have Frankie goes to Hollywoods two tribes go to WAR as our entrance theme and something different for the end or when we score (but played briefly!)

Perth Red

Post Whore
From The West Australian Newspaper:

There was no lack of courage but the Reds were their own biggest enemy in a hard fought 28 - 36 defeat last night at the WAR ZONE.
The visiting Windsor Wolves, who were one position above the Reds in third spot on the ladder, profited mightily from Reds errors scoring 4 of their 6 tries off Reds mistakes.

“Turnovers and errors hurt us badly” Reds general manager Bill Nosworthy said. “We gave up some soft tries”.

The Reds were first across the line when captain Shayne McMenemy finished off a 95 metre set and a Craig Phillis break sent in Mick Kestell, but poor tacking, passing and a lapse in defence enabled the Wolves to score four tries before half time a 24 – 12 lead.

Ineffectual tacking allowed the Wolves to recycle the ball until Ryan Russell found a defensive hole to score and wing Tim Hala extended the visitors lead with a well worked try wide out.

A bad pass gave Wolves five eighth Ben Harden a gift intercept try and Russell scored another soft try just before the interval when the Reds’ Sio Mailangi inexplicably turned his back on the play.

The Wolves extended their lead when Tim Hala scored his second try soon after the restart but the Reds rallied through four pointers to Phillis and Jason Godecke, the latter swooping on a McMenemy chip kick to sprint to the try line.

The Reds have lapsed and then rallied in their last three wins showing tremendous courage to claw back lost ground but last night it just wasn’t enough against one the competitions best teams.

The loss dropped the Reds to 3 and 3 for the season while the Wolves fifth consecutive win improved their record to 5 & 1.

Great signs for the Reds are their endurance, which would be equal to any team in the competition, and their obvious latent talent which is still nowhere near fully tapped.

Fans should remember that this is anew team still finding its structure and we should all be proud that they have exceeded to date, every expectation except their own.

Next week the Reds travel to meet the top ranking Sydney Bulls in what will be their toughest test to date.

Attendance 1714

joondalup_giant

Staff member
attendance is still pretty good dont you guys think considering the level of competition, plus it was a sunday.

i prefer sat nights you can go 2 the game then head out afterwards!

Nuke

Staff member
Personally, although done to death, I would rather us have Frankie goes to Hollywoods two tribes go to WAR as our entrance theme and something different for the end or when we score (but played briefly!)
Please no! I know where you're coming from, and in that regard it's a good idea, but that song was also the song used by SuperLeague in 1996-97. Not exactly the happiest of memories from those days for WA League fans.

I was happier with the selection of music for yesterday's game than I was for the previous one ... they'd doubled their playlist! Game 1 was only 'I See Red' and 'All Fired Up' (which they did to absolute death with both songs), but game 2 also included 'Playing To Win' and 'Khe Sahn'. They still perhaps overdid 'I See Red', but it was much better than the first game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
attendance is still pretty good dont you guys think considering the level of competition, plus it was a sunday.

i prefer sat nights you can go 2 the game then head out afterwards!

Yeh 1700 isn't too bad and is more than the RU was getting for the Western Gold or whatever they were called. Hopefully we will build on the 2,000 as the season progresses.

Alehana

Juniors
k, the western force is the super 14 team for perth- professional (they r payed to play)
perth spirit are the ARU team- the professional domestic competition in Aus
perth gold are the WA team for the amature league- eg they r picked out of clubs and r the best first grade players in local club competition. Amatures.

Perth spirit arn't around any more- perth gold hardly exist- used to be big a few years ago i always watched them play at perry lakes- when they used to win, really enjoyed it, but since force came along i havent heard anything.

b0rt

Juniors
perth gold hardly exist- used to be big a few years ago i always watched them play at perry lakes- when they used to win, really enjoyed it, but since force came along i havent heard anything.

they play games (mainly as part of tours) after the super14 season, made up of force players minus anyone in wallabies

Nuke

Staff member
Can't say I've heard of any of them (except the Farce of course ... and even then, my complete lack of interest + my lack of watching the news, reading the newspaper, listening to the radio, ect, means I know nothing of them. For all I know, their season could be over or they could be in their grand final or whatever ...).

Perth Red

Post Whore
ah, getting my gold and spirit mixed up! I know the spirit were getting around a 1000 for their one and only year in the ARU 2nd tier division. But enough of talk about Union!

I think if we average around the 2000 for the season we should be happy. Plenty to build on and I would like to see the Reds link up with schools in Perth playing RL and maybe offer free tickets or kids go free if with an adult etc.

Alehana

Juniors
we'd have to promte the game alot in the inner schools and elite schools (hale, aquinus, newman, jtc, wesley)where i went western suburbs around there, no1 would even consider league over union.

b0rt

Juniors
ah, getting my gold and spirit mixed up! I know the spirit were getting around a 1000 for their one and only year in the ARU 2nd tier division. But enough of talk about Union!

I think if we average around the 2000 for the season we should be happy. Plenty to build on and I would like to see the Reds link up with schools in Perth playing RL and maybe offer free tickets or kids go free if with an adult etc.

the year 6s and 7s of many schools participated in tournaments leading up to the state trials
all kids who participated were given a 'buy one get oone free' ticket
as were all kids who actually played in friday nights state trials
the WARL has heaps of the things