What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wairangi Koopu- Northern Raiders

BSB Raiderman

Juniors
Geezus if Noel Tupou is carving up imagine the damage a bloke like Koopu could do!!!

The capt/coach of the Northern Raiders was on another forum scouting blokes to play/help coach just last week.

deluded pom?

Coach
I can't get my head around this. First DN says Koopu IS going to the AMNRL then he says he ISN'T going to the AMNRL and now he's confirming that he IS going to the NR. :? I also find the NR a strange place for Koopu to pitch up at. No disrespect to the Raiders but the fact is they are the easybeats of the AMNRL. I know they are trying to turn that around but I'm very surprised they can attract a player of Koopu's ability and background.

Cheby

Juniors
I would be extremely surprised if Koopu ended up in New Paltz playing for the Raiders. They struggle to get enough out on a Saturday to play.

roopy

Referee
I'd send him to the weakest team if it were me deciding - makes sense to improve the quality of the league that way.

playdaball

Bench
League stars scammed

By AARON LAWTON - Sunday News

Last updated 05:00 04/07/2010
Print
Text Size

Relevant offers

WARRIORS legends Wairangi Koopu, Stacey Jones and Awen Guttenbeil have been caught up in a bizarre case of identity theft.
A scammer has for the past several weeks pretended to be league hard man-turned-TV star Koopu, arranging a supposed contract for him via email with a fledgling American rugby league competition.
Sunday News has obtained copies of the emails sent by the fraudster to American National Rugby League boss David Niu – a former Dragons NRL halfback.
In the correspondence, the person pretending to be Koopu also tells Niu he has convinced enforcer Guttenbeil to join the league, and also promised to try to get halfback great Jones on board.
Koopu first discovered he had been linked to the American league when a news article appeared a fortnight ago.
In the article, Niu said: "As far as I know, he [Koopu] is heading to the Northern Raiders [a New York-based club]. He's been in contact with me for some time about our domestic league and future pro league opportunities."
Koopu was baffled by the story, and had to fend off puzzled inquiries from Maori TV, where he works as a sports presenter, he told Sunday News.
Koopu contacted Niu after the story was picked up by radio stations around the country.
"I emailed him and asked what was going on and why he was saying I had agreed to join his competition. He got back to me straight away with his apologies.
"He said to me, 'Mate, as far as I was aware, you have been emailing me for the last few weeks saying you are on your way to America'.
"He was really apologetic about the whole thing and he told me he would forward me all the emails he had received from someone who was pretending to be me."
Among the series of emails, beginning June 11, the fraudster says:
"hi david this is wairangi koopu, i am interested in playing for the northern raiders this year in july-probably the last 2 games of the amnrl season and im also wanting to play in the pro league competition your having next year if you can get something organised for me soon, i will be there in july. reply back soon if you can please.
"the raiders are keen to have me play for them. when i get there we will speak more, might move there permanently depending on what its like over there. i will try and get stacey jones and awen guttenbeil over there too. they are playing/coaching over here at pt chev. all the best with the amnrl this year.
"i also have awen guttenebil [sic] coming over we will be there this time next month."
Koopu said the day before the first media reports surfaced linking him to the American league, his wife was phoned by a friend who had seen the supposed news on social networking site Twitter.
Ad Feedback
"My wife hit me up when I got home from a match and wanted to know if I had some secret Twitter account," Koopu said.
"I was like, `huh?'. So we went online and there was some [fake] account there...and a photo of me."
Ironically, the real Koopu, who retired last year after a decade-long career in the NRL, had previously had discussions with Niu about playing in America.
"A year or two back, I had some contact with the guys from this American competition because they had this pretty big vision," he said.
Koopu said he was initially concerned about an invasion of his privacy, and couldn't understand what had motivated the identity thief.
"They seemed to know a fair bit about Awen, Stacey and I and what we are doing at the moment. It doesn't really worry me now, it's just weird.
"Sweet as man, you can go over to America, turn up at some club and pretend to be if you want – but I doubt you are going to be able to pull it off."
Niu was unable to be reached for comment.
Last month, Sunday News revealed officials had implemented a programme at all 16 NRL clubs to ensure players don't reveal too much about themselves on websites like Facebook and Twitter.

DC_fan

Coach
You really would think that Niu would have doubled if not tripled checked this before he made a public announcement.

MORE TROOPS FOR US
Former Warriors and Kiwi Test forwards Awen Guttenbeil and Wairangi Koopu are the latest players set for stints in the American National Rugby League, which already boasts former NRL players Daniel Wagon, Jye Mullane and Tony Duggan. AMNRL boss David Nui announced the two were headed to the US and is busy trying to recruit more players, with Chris Walker and Ryan McGoldrick having expressed an interest.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/monday-meeting-for-tahu-joey-20100625-z9q1.html

Really has made him look a real goose. But then its not the first time for him and probably will not be the last.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I thought it was a bit strange that he was supposed to be going to the Raiders. Hopefully this will teach Niu to be more professional about things.

roopy

Referee
There is no such thing as bad press.
Not that i want to see more silly hoaxes, but the more articles about US league in the australian press the better.

DC_fan

Coach
There is no such thing as bad press.
Not that i want to see more silly hoaxes, but the more articles about US league in the australian press the better.

Sorry roopy cannot agree with you. All the stories we hear from the USA about league turn out to be false. Makes Niu and the game in the US look really stupid

roopy

Referee
Sorry roopy cannot agree with you. All the stories we hear from the USA about league turn out to be false. Makes Niu and the game in the US look really stupid
It also means most league fans know that league in the US is happening - and most are now thinking ex NRL players go over there.

DC_fan

Coach
It also means most league fans know that league in the US is happening - and most are now thinking ex NRL players go over there.

Well if you want to believe that, thats fine. But most fans are smart enough to know what really is going on.

roopy

Referee
Well if you want to believe that, thats fine. But most fans are smart enough to know what really is going on.
99.9% of fans know less about American League than they know about the ancient dutch sport of canal jumping.

Latest posts