What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Waldron an AFL/Union plant?

m0nty

Juniors
Ah, now the truth comes out, SLF. It's all architected by those lizardmen at the centre of the earth.

Brutus

Referee
Sources claim a former Melbourne employee - now believed to be working with an AFL club - had turned whistle-blower.

That would be right.

Brutus

Referee
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...hitect-of-deceit/story-e6frexnr-1225857172372

STORM boss Brian Waldron was never going to take the rap on his own. Half an hour before David Gallop opened his press conference and revealed the full extent of Storm's salary cap rorting yesterday, a panicking Waldron told me: "There were people on the board who knew about everything that was going on.
"It's happening everywhere. What about [name withheld] leaving us and getting paid $200,000 by [sponsor withheld] outside the cap by the [team name withheld].
"This is a joke. All clubs do it. I can't say any more.
"Ring me back after they announce what they've got."
It was the last of a dozen phone calls The Daily Telegraph exchanged with the disgraced former Storm boss since we were tippped off about an impending scandal on Monday afternoon.

Now at the fledgling Melbourne rugby franchise the Rebels, Waldron has been described by News Limited chief executive and chairman John Hartigan as "the architect" of league's biggest fraud.
Waldron had been happy to talk all week but at 4pm yesterday he suddenly stopped taking calls or replying to our text messages.

The alarm bells started ringing at 3.30pm on Monday when a senior NRL coach rang me and suggested the Storm were about to be nabbed for massive breaches.
"It's as big as the Bulldogs," the coach said, "maybe even bigger."
So I had the first of around a dozen phone conversations with Waldron.
On Monday afternoon he said there was nothing in it, telling me in his usual confident style that competition points would remain intact but conceding the possibility of a small fine.
"Ian Schubert is aware of everything we did in my time at the Storm," he said.
"Let me check it out with a few people and I'll ring you back."
At the same time I checked the story out with NRL boss David Gallop.
He said he was aware salary cap auditor Ian Schubert was checking a number of issues but investigations were still to be finalised.
He indicated it was nothing major - certainly not in the same league as the Bulldogs in 2002.
About half an hour later Waldron rang back.
"Now don't make a big issue out of this but there are four very minor things they are looking at," he said.
"Cameron Smith's contract with Fox Sports, the pay-out to Dallas Johnson [who is not implicated] and a couple of other things. We've also been making payments of about $25,000 a year for the players end-of-season holiday. Schubert knew about that.
"They are also looking at fringe benefit taxes which were paid on player agents' fees. That's the full extent of it. It's all bullsh*t."
We now know Waldron was either lying or suffering from severe memory loss.
In another phone call on Wednesday, he attempted to distract me with the promise of a major signing story at the Rebels.
"I might have something for you tonight - Mark Gasnier is close to signing," he says.
"I'll ring you as soon as we know. You should have it by Friday."
Last night, Waldron was no longer so chatty. His phone was ringing out.
Phone call after phone call went unanswered and text messages were ignored.
His career, once the envy of sports administrators across the country, is in tatters.
His position at the Melbourne Rebels, believed to be worth $400,000-a-year, is untenable.
The Rebels' franchise - which must establish credibility in a hostile market - will have no choice but to sack him or ask for his resignation.
It's all over for the the biggest salary cap rorter in Australian sporting history.

After all its written by BUZZLIGHTYEAR. is he even credible

How convenient Buzz, you got a tip off on the story and you work for News LTD.

Get this company out of the game now!!!

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Yes it is unlikely that there is a conspiracy at work, but you have to admit that there are lots of questions, not many answers and various elements in this saga that certainly leave space for such theories to develop. Time will tell...

Brutus

Referee
I really hope Roy Masters gets on the case.

It's the only truth we are ever likely to see.

The other Fairfax journos are too scared to have a crack at News LTD for fear it could damage future job prospects.

bobmar28

Bench
Ribot should be mentioned in this conversation too. Not that he was a plant, which is obviously ridiculous, but that he was only in it for himself and couldn't give a tinker's about the fabric of the sport. Ribot should be sacked and barred from any RL position in future.

What's his connection to the Storm?

Bulldog Force

Referee
With details of the horrendous mismanagement of the club emerging one must ask questions about the honesty and motivations of the senior executives.

It is well known that Waldron has an AFL background. He is now CEO of the Melbourne Rebels. It seems all too convenient that the details of this rorting come to light only months after his departure. A parting shot on behalf of his new paymasters?

Is it possible that the greatest atrocity against the game has been committed by its enemies, from the inside?

RL is done as a force South of the Border.

This is a momentous event on par with the Super League War. If anyone wanted any evidence as to what forces there are out there that want League dead, there should now be no doubt.
I strongly doubt that's the case. It's not possible to do something like this in Union as they have no salary cap. So he cannot do much damage there. It's just safe to say that he's looking at time in prison and will never be the CEO of anything again.

Parra

Referee
Do you live in some kind of fairyland?

Its far more likely that the "whistleblower" was given motive by some negative dealing(s) to do with Melbourne, in whatever capacity that may be. Why else do you think it took so long to come out. People don't grow morals overnight. "Whistleblowers" are usually complicit until something doesn't go their way.

Whistleblowing sooks. If things go to form the whistleblower will be outed, lose his job and be hung out to dry. Plenty of prior form for that scenario. Do you consider that the history of what happens to whistleblowers is a deterrent? To use your warped exaggeration - some of them must be unusually fair & honest.

Smells like Victorian rot has got into our game.

Wish we could have a deal with the Victorians. Get your game out of our state and we will get ours out of yours.

You really think the Vics have a mortgage on cheating? :crazy: I'd think there are people in both sports who could teach each other plenty about salary cap cheating.

On another note, I don't know why people get so bothered by AFL in Sydney and RL in Melbourne. Truth is the Storm and Rebels are probably only ever going to be fighting it out over 5% of the market in Melbourne and the Swans and GWS about the same in Sydney. Neither are any sort of serious threat to the other.

Father Jack

Juniors

The other Fairfax journos are too scared to have a crack at News LTD for fear it could damage future job prospects.

Roy Masters and truth are two things I have never, ever thought of in one sentence. Without doubt he will put this into the context of the AFL v the NRL. That's the only way he thinks. he epitomizes the worst kind of RL fan. Not the majority, but the worst (at least i hope not the majority).

i doubt his a union plant,afl maybe
but this guy has been apparently doing it for years its affecting afl as well as league
and to the afl guy who dobbed,hes a bitch that deserves to go to jail as well for not telling the police straight away and costing the tigers a finals spot :crazy:

I'd like to see some of their business journos get stuck in - someone who has no vested interests or agendas to push with the sport. Given that there are potentially crimes under corporations law that were committed, its highly likely they will.