What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wales,ireland,scotland World Cup 08

Sam_the_man

First Grade
At the end of the day Bender we obviously want the same thing and are both league fans....however the way in which we want to get there is poles apart.
That team that played in the 2000 WC was a joke, how many players in it were from the IRL ? none. They were almost all aussie journeymen.
When you watched them play....you weren't left wondering "gee whos that player, he's good i wonder who he is" no you were left thinking "gee whys that guy that was dropped from the Bulldogs NRL side playing for Ireland"
And how can you play with passion for a nation you didn't know you had ties to until someone from the IRLF asked if your grand father was Irish. You can't.
As for the millions watching on TV.....what sort of message was sent to them when they saw empty stands?

bender

Juniors
Sam_the_man said:
At the end of the day Bender we obviously want the same thing and are both league fans....however the way in which we want to get there is poles apart.

agreed, and while i realise i am in the minority on this board, i am 100% convinced that i am correct on this point (with the provisos i argued above)

That team that played in the 2000 WC was a joke, how many players in it were from the IRL ? none.They were almost all aussie journeymen.
There were only about 4 or 5 aussie journeymen at the most. Admittedly there were a lot of Englishmen Journeymen, although the term journeyman might be a bit harsh, Ricketson and Campion achieved high honours and could play at any level. And the performance of the Irish team, particularly against England but also in the preliminary games was of the highest quality.
When you watched them play....you weren't left wondering "gee whos that player, he's good i wonder who he is" no you were left thinking "gee whys that guy that was dropped from the Bulldogs NRL side playing for Ireland"

You might have been, but most of the Irishmen who watched it were probably thinking wow look at that Irishmen who plays for the Bulldogs go, I would like to do that. Maybe with some work i will play in that side, like Brian Carney does.

And how can you play with passion for a nation you didn't know you had ties to until someone from the IRLF asked if your grand father was Irish. You can't.

Tell that to Ken Nagas when he represent NSW, or Australian Fulback Karmichael Hunt, or New Zealand Fulback Brent Webb. I mean even Nathan Fien played with plenty of passion for New Zealand and he had zero affiliation.
As for the millions watching on TV.....what sort of message was sent to them when they saw empty stands?

And banning those few players from playing in those games would have increased the crowds? I would guess that the message that most got was that the torrential rain that stopped the English public transport and grinded the country to a virtual stop had a massive effect on the crowd (that was the right world cup wasnt it?) Or they might have thought gees what a great game i will be at the next England vs Ireland game next time they play, shouldnt be hard to get a seat either! Of course the fact that the next game is 8 years and 10000 km away may mean that in all practicality few of them actually take up that option.

Sam, dont get me wrong, in the ideal world, these sides would all have strong domestic comps at that should be the long term aim, but it is impossible for these amateur sides to compete with the big 3. Not even NZ, Aus and Eng can compete with players from outside the Main competitions. For the lesser countries to get there, they need the big 3 to earn $$$ from the international game and to really want a successful world cup. In the short term, this could only happen if we have a competitive world cup right from the group stages. That is why we have less teams and that is why we are looking at the possibility of putting the big 3 in the one group. It sounds ridiculous but it may be in the long term benefit of all involved. Grass roots development is great but you need to build the World Cup into a money making juggernaut like the union world cup did. I think that this world cup has the potential to do that, it will depend on a number of things including:
an interesting format and scheduling being settled on,
Proper televising of the entire world cup (with knowlegeable commentators)
Positive media campain
And most of all, at least one stunning upset by one of the minnow countries.

If any of the minnows can spring an upset it would do wonders. A repeat of the 1996? results would be absolutely massive for the sport.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
The 2000 world was indeed a mud bath for the most part and the 1995 world cup was highly successful with stadiums full for 90% of the matches.

You may or may not know 3 interesting facts Bender about Ireland (Ireland being your main point of interest)
1. Ireland now has a strongish domestic comp (check out there web site) So in future look to see Ireland with a strong line up of local players in there test team.
2. The Irish Wolfhounds are touring New Zealand next year....this has the potential to really improve there game locally when they return home to Ireland having learn't from the way the New Zealand players play the game.
3 (rumor only) Irl is going to receive a sizable grant from the government so development could increase further.

All great news for a fledging nation wouldn't you agree?

deluded pom?

Coach
And you seriously think Sam that if 25 true Irishmen had been selected to compete for Ireland in the 2000 WC that the crowds would have turned up in droves? 500 turned up because there was/is very little awareness of RL in Ireland. Forget the fact that there are about ten teams playing in an Irish summer conference that very few Irishmen, apart from those involved and their family and friends, know even exists. Now if Ireland had beaten England to qualify for the WC semi with a team predominantly of Aussie descendents then you can bet your bottom dollar that the profile of the game in Ireland would have increased a hundred fold. It's about winning and competing not being naive and putting a team of first generation Irishmen out to be thrashed by 70 points.That would have set the game back years. Of course you can't do this for every WC and local players have to be developed.It's just that this was the first WC that Ireland had played in. I still see no problem with Ireland utilising any player who is eligible for them within the rules laid down by the RLIF. Australia do exactly the same thing. Just check out the Australia squad that played in the recent TN for proof of that. As for your comment about international league being a joke, well I don't think you're too wide of the mark, but that's down to the administrators not the developing nations who need a hand to be able to compete on a fairly even playing field.

yankeerugger

Juniors
IMHO, with the tri-nations series, there is no real need for a world cup. You have a competition that pits the numbers 1,2 & 3 nations against each other every year... What more is left to be decided?

What would be of more importance would be to have a world cup amongst the minnows (#4 and below) and have them made up of actual players from that country! Make it legitimate. Make this the real focus of the international game. Maybe when there are more countries that have decent teams, made up of natives/locals (not imports) with 3 or more capable of upsetting one of the top 3 every now and again... maybe then a world cup would be justified. But then I think a trinations comp would be redundant, and would actually detract from the world cup.

Just my openion.

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
LeagueXIII said:
It sure is, we could have a 16 team WC from players born in Sydney, it's a joke.

A bit like our Australian Soccer team. None live in Aus. Viduka wasn't born in Aus for an example.
Lets get over the grandparent rule because every other sport has it.
Time to move on.

carlnz

Bench
whatsdoing1982 said:
A bit like our Australian Soccer team. None live in Aus. Viduka wasn't born in Aus for an example.
Lets get over the grandparent rule because every other sport has it.
Time to move on.

I agree but we need to police it so they cant swap countires later on down the track.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
It's about credibility and perception. These teams do nothing for league. I have nothing against a nation picking 3 or 4 "outsiders". It's like Catalan Dragons stacking their team with Aussies, would this be a good thing?

Nz

Juniors
yankeerugger said:
IMHO, with the tri-nations series, there is no real need for a world cup. You have a competition that pits the numbers 1,2 & 3 nations against each other every year... What more is left to be decided?

What would be of more importance would be to have a world cup amongst the minnows (#4 and below) and have them made up of actual players from that country! Make it legitimate. Make this the real focus of the international game. Maybe when there are more countries that have decent teams, made up of natives/locals (not imports) with 3 or more capable of upsetting one of the top 3 every now and again... maybe then a world cup would be justified. But then I think a trinations comp would be redundant, and would actually detract from the world cup.

Just my openion.

*Opinion.

What chance does International league have to prosper if the same 1,2 & 3 teams play eachother over and over again.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
deluded pom? said:
And you seriously think Sam that if 25 true Irishmen had been selected to compete for Ireland in the 2000 WC that the crowds would have turned up in droves? 500 turned up because there was/is very little awareness of RL in Ireland. Forget the fact that there are about ten teams playing in an Irish summer conference that very few Irishmen, apart from those involved and their family and friends, know even exists. Now if Ireland had beaten England to qualify for the WC semi with a team predominantly of Aussie descendents then you can bet your bottom dollar that the profile of the game in Ireland would have increased a hundred fold. It's about winning and competing not being naive and putting a team of first generation Irishmen out to be thrashed by 70 points.That would have set the game back years. Of course you can't do this for every WC and local players have to be developed.It's just that this was the first WC that Ireland had played in. I still see no problem with Ireland utilising any player who is eligible for them within the rules laid down by the RLIF. Australia do exactly the same thing. Just check out the Australia squad that played in the recent TN for proof of that. As for your comment about international league being a joke, well I don't think you're too wide of the mark, but that's down to the administrators not the developing nations who need a hand to be able to compete on a fairly even playing field.

Lets have a Chinesse team in the next world cup. I'm sure we can find 13 aussies that have eaten sweet and sour pork at some stage. We'll get 500 Chinesse to the game on the basis that they thought it was going to be a chicken fried rice cook off and another million on TV that thought they were going to watch union.
Give me strenght.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
yankeerugger said:

Just my openion.

Well as it happens the big 3 are going to be joined by Franch in 2009 which will make the big 4.
France arn't the worlds best league nations as they used to be (thanks mainly to the vichy collaboraters banning league and all assets being given to union durring the second world war)
But they are on the improve.
Also Yankeerugger, PNG are very close in abillity to France so you could argue that the big 3 are infact the big 5 (PNG being the only nation in the world that has league as it's national sport).
Next are the strong pacific island nations of Fiji and Tonga. Of lesser strenght are Samoa and the Cook Islands.
The drop off from here is large however it can be argued that six nations have made great strides recently, Scotland, Ireland, Russia, Serbia, Lebanon and your own USA.
So as you can see theres 15 nations with viaable domestic competions and not all will make the world cup....do you so still say there is no reason for a world cup?

carlnz

Bench
How about every two years have a Four Nations, and the Fourth team as to earn the right to be there. For example France would have to play PNG, Tonga and Say Wales with the Winner being the fourth nation....

Or just include France see how they go and if they go all right add PNG and so on

deluded pom?

Coach
Sam_the_man said:
Lets have a Chinesse team in the next world cup. I'm sure we can find 13 aussies that have eaten sweet and sour pork at some stage. We'll get 500 Chinesse to the game on the basis that they thought it was going to be a chicken fried rice cook off and another million on TV that thought they were going to watch union.
Give me strenght.

Come on Sam if you're going to slate me at least have the decency to actually read my post first. I said that I had no problems with Ireland picking any player who is ELIGIBLE for them under RLIF rules. In your scenario none of the players that you'd pick for your mythical Chinese team would be eligible. As long as players don't just use the developing teams to play in a WC before they are picked for Australia or New Zealand or just flit from one country to another then I have no problems with it. In another post I stated a fact that the Irish soccer teams from the late 80's early 90's were stacked with players who for all intents and purposes were English /Scottish. How insulting is this to any player worth his salt that was still playing in the Irish soccer league. The Irish people never cared because THEIR team was qualifying for big tournaments and upsetting the top teams along the way.

Angry_eel

First Grade
As long as the "descendents" stick with the team they represent im fine with it. Once a player plays for a country they cannot change.

deluded pom?

Coach
Sam_the_man said:
Luke Ricketson, Tony Carrol ?

I totally agree with you on this one Sam.RLW(UK) recently had a list of players who had played for two different countries in the last twenty years(?). If I recall correctly there were around 25 to 30 players on it. Not only did it include players who had played for the newer nations after playing for an established country but people like Chris Morley (Mozza's brother) who played for England before deciding he was Welsh! This is the sort of thing that holds the game up to ridicule.

colonel_123

Juniors
Sam_the_man said:
Luke Ricketson, Tony Carrol ?

That's a problem with players playing for more then one country, not Australians playing for another country under heritage rules.

Does it matter that the Cayless brothers play for NZ despite being born in Australia? Is the NZ side held to ridicule in NZ because those players were born in Australia? Do people not go to international league games in NZ because the Cayless brothers are playing? Would lmore people go if the Cayless brothers were not in the side?

Of course not because the Cayless brothers, despite being born in Australia and playing in Australian (and now English) pro sides are committed and passionate about playing for NZ.

The issue is not players playing for minnow nations under the heritage rule, it's players turning out for minnow sides then playing for Australia or England or NZ when they become stars. Or established players turning out for minnow nations in a world cup then playing for a big three nation in a test match.

I'd have no problem in a young player of Tongan heritage or descendance based in the NRL or even born in Australia turns out for Tonga in the world cup, as long as that player committs to playing for Tonga, or Fiji, or Scotland, or Lebanon post the World Cup.

And the best way to do that is to continue to have regular scheduled world cups that will ensure meaningful matches (qualifiers and finals) for countries outside the big three. Having rugby league played at the Pacific games will also help to ensure meaningful matches for minor nations. Initiatives like this will encourage young players like say Sam Moa or Taniela Tuiaki to continue to play for Tonga or similar nations even in the become stars while playing for Wests Tigers. But I have no problem with them turning out for Tonga despite being based in Sydney.