What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walker fined 10% of salary and dropped from Roosters team

rossy

Juniors
Well done to the Roosters for swift action in this case.

==============================

Statement Regarding Chris Walker

Author: Sydney Roosters
Monday, 3 May 2004

The Sydney Roosters are deeply disturbed by the assault allegations and the subsequent charges laid against its player Chris Walker while in the QLD State of Origin camp.

The club has considered the matter and takes immediate action as we did not wish to procrastinate. The following penalties will be imposed:

1. Already Chris has been stood down from the QLD team for the first State of Origin game;
2. He will be stood down by the Roosters for next Saturday’s game against the West Tigers;
3. Chris will be fined 10% of his 2004 annual salary which will be donated to the Randwick Children’s Hospital;
4. A full alcohol ban will be imposed on Chris for the 2004 season;
5. Chris will undertake counseling for the issues that led to these charges.

The Sydney Roosters take the reputation of the club and the game of rugby league seriously, and believe these penalties identify our strong position.

==========================
Statement from Chris Walker

Author: Chris Walker
Monday, 3 May 2004

Firstly, I wish to apologise for any embarrassment or hurt I may have caused my family, teammates, coaches, sponsors, fans and all involved in the game of rugby league.

I will defend these charges in court. I would never intentionally do anything to damage the club or the game.

I have been strongly penalized, particularly losing a State of Origin spot, letting down my Roosters team-mates by being stood down next weekend, and incurring a 10% salary fine.

The fine will be paid to the Children’s Hospital in Randwick.

I regret that this has occurred, but I am sure this experience will make me a better person and help me better understand the privileged position I hold, and the example I provide to all young people.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Its great to support a club who takes such swift action. Nice to see something good come of it too...the money going to Randwick hospital.

DRRRAGONS

Juniors
I regret that this has occurred, but I am sure this experience will make me a better person and help me better understand the privileged position I hold, and the example I provide to all young people

Sure you do Chris

Razor

Coach
10%...? hes not on much anyway is he...?

$50,000 a year

He can't expect much when he says he wants to play for a top inner-city Sydney club when there's just one club that matches that criteria.

xwizit

Juniors
Razor said:
10%...? hes not on much anyway is he...?

$50,000 a year

He can't expect much when he says he wants to play for a top inner-city Sydney club when there's just one club that matches that criteria.

*waits for the dogs fans to appear*

:lol:

Chook

First Grade
Yeah a bloody well done to the club for swift decisive action and a punishment measurable to the offence. Sends a good message to the other Rooster players.

Chook.

ibeme

First Grade
I can't see how any club can impose such an alcohol ban on anyone. It's a nice sentiment, but are they going to be at his next family bbq telling him he can't have a drink? I can't see how they have the power to impose such a ban. He's well within his rights to have a drink in his personal time.

As for the rest, congrats to the Roosters for taking swift action.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah.........I wonder who wrote the "prepared statement" for him.

KulaShaker

Juniors
I agree with what a lot of you are saying, good work on the Rooster's part to take action so soon and avoid too much media propaganda.

Actually I have no idea what happened (shows how much news I read) but it's better for all of us than being dragged out.

We Tiger fans have no problem with him being stood down ;-)

With Fitzgibbon out, and now Walker, does this mean ol' Freddy will be goal kicking?

DJ1

Juniors
It definitely helps when the player can be identified and charged with an offence.

In a situation where the players are still unable to be identified by the alleged victim and charges were not laid we have to rely on being drip fed facts, fiction and opinion on both.

NPK

Bench
I wonder of he still would have been stood down for the Roosters' next game if they were playing a top team like the Bulldogs...

RB30DETT

Juniors
He just showed what a goose he is.

Only person he wrecked anything for was himself, he doesnt need a fine from the NRL, Im sure the QLD police will have a nice criminal record lined up for him.

Clevo

Juniors
Interesting the contrast to a similar Morely incident earlier in the year....

Walker is obviously more expendable....wheras Morely's was swept under carpet and roosters managed to "convince" Immigration Dept to let him in.

Sucked in Walker! :lol:

supermario

Juniors
Clevo said:
Interesting the contrast to a similar Morely incident earlier in the year....

Walker is obviously more expendable....wheras Morely's was swept under carpet and roosters managed to "convince" Immigration Dept to let him in.

Sucked in Walker! :lol:

Atually, morley is paying very dearly, he was in the process of applying for a permanent residency visa, now that has been blown out the window, also he was delt with by the police as well.

The IRL board were the ones making the desicion on the morley incident.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
ibeme said:
I can't see how any club can impose such an alcohol ban on anyone. It's a nice sentiment, but are they going to be at his next family bbq telling him he can't have a drink? I can't see how they have the power to impose such a ban. He's well within his rights to have a drink in his personal time.

As for the rest, congrats to the Roosters for taking swift action.
Maybe not at the family BBQ, but Walkers known for swanning around certain Sydney bars (Cargo for example) like he owns the place. It would be pretty easy for the Roosters to tell him that if he's spotted on the piss in public this year he's sacked.