What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wallabies have no hope

aqua_duck

Coach
I think Graham Henry needs to do whats suits NZ rather than what suits Graham Henry. Henry inherited a team with one of the best backlines in decades, all he needed to do was fix up the pack, he's fixed up the pack but he's totally stuffed up the backline with his flat style of play which has proven to be ineffective and boring. This time last year the All Blacks were the most feared team in world rugby, now they're the most boring team in world rugby. The injury to McCaw is no excuse as he wouldn't be a key component of their try scoring ability. Guys like Umaga and Carter are continually getting hammered, Spencer is looking like a fish out of water and Howlett and Rokocoko are catching a cold out wide. Further more I don't see what is so special about Tuitupou, all I see him do his run straight and more often than not get smashed. At the moment it doesn't look like the players are enjoying their rugby. Graham Henry needs to be less of a dictator and let the backs work their magic instead of making play like robots.

bayrep

Juniors
I could actually see the Boks getting up and winning the last 2 games but they will need to get at least 1 bonus point to win it.

Martli

Coach
ThrashViking said:
Martli said:
All blacks need to learn how to score tries...

This, and the warriors=sh*t sporting weekend for me... I hope Johnsonville beat Ories in the hardam cup semi today...
Howd did J'Ville go?
My old team Norths are in the final against the scum of Wellington also known as Poneke in the jubilee cup \\:D/ .

Beat ories 30-15 :D. In the finals against Upper Hutt who thrashed Wests in their semi.

Iafeta

Referee
Did you hear Justin Marshall's comments? Justin Harrison has always come across as a cat, I bet if he did get in a bit of biff outside of a footy field he'd be taken down in 2 seconds flat. He looks like a bit of an unco-ordinated smart ar$e waiting to be b!tch slap. Who'll ever forget the face he pulled when he penalised a couple of years ago back in NZ? Soft c*ck.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I love seeing the Kiwis lose with passion but the All Blacks last year scored 4+ tries in every match they played except the semi final of the World Cup!

They have scored 2 in 3 matches! Thats ridiculous with the amount of tryscorers you have at your disposal!

For me Henry has 2 options
a) Drop Spencer, put Mertens in. I mean the All Blacks were more dangerous with him on the field.
b) Go back to a non-flat attack like last year. You only lost one game last year with it! Why change it!!

bayrep

Juniors
Different coach. Henery will not want ot be seen as carrying on the work that Mitchel started.

Mehrtens has been picked for the next test against SA with spencer dropped to the bench I think.

I agree about the flat back line I would rather see the AB's running onto the ball with quick passes to get it past the defence as you say it worked last year.

Iafeta

Referee
Agree Lockno and Bayrep. Mitchell was an outstanding coach who wasn't axed for coaching reasons. Rather sad really. At least with his team you could see a way out of most situations and you could see try scoring opportunities a plenty. I don't see them with Henry's style.

Spencer is off the bench I believe Bayrep.

ozbash

Referee
nope, carlos never even made the bench.
i dont know if carlos was the whole problem, i reckon marshalls passing has gone from slow to stationary.
give kelleher a run.

bayrep

Juniors
They have got Kelleher on the bench so I wouldnt be surprised if after 20mins things are going south then they bring Kelleher on. They have Nick Evans and Arron Mageur(? spelling) on the Bench. So it makes you wonder who they will swap in for Mehrtens if things dont go well or Mehrts gets injuried.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
ozbash said:
nope, carlos never even made the bench.
i dont know if carlos was the whole problem, i reckon marshalls passing has gone from slow to stationary.
give kelleher a run.
Marshall was shit, but then again so were Rush, Gibbes, Holah, Umaga, Howlett, infat apart from the tight 5 (still the best scrum in the 3N easily), Tuitupou (broken rib and all) and Muliaina basically everybody was crap. Henry has got to ditch the flat backline experiment NOW, it just isn't working, and he needs to do something with the loose forwards who have been outplayed big time two weeks in a row. We misss Richie McCaw and Keith Robinson BADLY right now.

SA to win next weekend and take the title.

lockyno1

Post Whore
We misss Richie McCaw

Yes, Holah is good but McCaw is up there with Waugh as the best in the world, you can't replace him easily and it showed on Saturday when Burger killed you at the breakdown!

This weeks game will be a cracker but! I hope the Wallabies win but it could go either way. My tip will be Wallabies by 3. :clap:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
We misss Richie McCaw

Yes, Holah is good but McCaw is up there with Waugh as the best in the world, you can't replace him easily and it showed on Saturday when Burger killed you at the breakdown!

This weeks game will be a cracker but! I hope the Wallabies win but it could go either way. My tip will be Wallabies by 3. :clap:
Totally agree. McCaw, Waugh, and Berger are a class above anyone in that department. Holah is merely solid by comparison.

bayrep

Juniors
SA vs Aus game should be a great game with SA slightly ahead in the favourites stakes as they seem to have their tails up at the moment. Also Aus doesn't have such a great record winning in SA over the last few years. But then NZ had a great winning streak against the SA's and look how that helped the AB's :) or should that be :(

Im picking SA by 10.

Martli

Coach
I'd rather Australia won the tri-nations cup thatn South Africa.

World Cup 1995. ;-)

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Martli said:
I'd rather Australia won the tri-nations cup thatn South Africa.

World Cup 1995. ;-)
Nah, I'll go for SA for the same reason I went for England in the WC final - I live in Sydney and it'll knock the Aussies back to our level so they can't gloat at me :p

ozbash

Referee
South Africa 23 Australia 19

Who was to deny them? Certainly the Wallabies had no magic answers as South Africa claimed their second Tri Nations title in Durban, with a lot of passion and just the right amount of precision.

The South Africans, bidding to complete a clean sweep of home victories in the three-nation competition, scored just two tries to three but got home on the back of Percy Montgomery's accurate kicking boot as they established a 23-7 buffer midway through the second spell and then held on with no little discomfort.

The South Africans had to survive two late yellow cards and a George Smith try that got the Wallabies within striking distance at the death to win the match and another Tri Nations title.

Kiwi referee Paddy O'Brien sin-binned fullback Percy Montgomery with 11 minutes to go and right wing Breyton Paulse with a minute on the clock, but still there was no denying the fact the home team had this match under control.

Well at least they did after lock Victor Matfield and No 8 Joe van Niekerk hit back with answers to Lote Tuqiri's first-half try that had seen the visitors out to an early 7-0 lead.

The Springboks had reduced the deficit to 3-7 at the end of a tight but dour first half, but struck back upon the restart when Matfield and van Niekerk both crossed to take the Boks out to 20-7 barely a quarter of an hour into the spell.

A further Montgomery penalty made it 23-7 midway through the half, and from then on there was too much for the Wallabies to do, despite a sustained rally over the closing period that saw Stirling Mortlock give the visitors a sniff with a 31st-minute try.

But even though Smith summoned one moment of magic near the end, it was not to be for a Wallabies side that had been out-hustled up front and had largely relied on its swift back attack that met a wall of green jerseys.

Clearly the South Africans had wanted this match the most, and had subsequently been rewarded for that endeavour with a second Tri Nations title.

Much credit must go to coach Jake White and skipper John Smit for the manner in which they have led this turn-around in Springbok rugby.

These two leaders have set the tone and after the decider in Durban it was hard to escape the reality that the rest of the Boks troops had fallen nicely into line to reward their country with another title.

There will be more emphatic days for South African sport, but maybe no more decisive. Well done the Springboks.

South Africa: Victor Matfield, Johann van Niekerk tries; Percy Montgomery 3 con, 2 pen.

Australia: Lote Tuqiri, Stirling Mortlock, George Smith tries; Matt Giteau 2 con. Ht: 3-7.

hmmm, the cupboard is looking veeeery bare :p

weasel

First Grade
Tri-Nations table

TEAM P W D L PF PA PD TF TA BP PTS
South Africa 4 2 0 2 110 98 12 13 9 3 11
Australia 4 2 0 2 79 83 -4 8 6 2 10
New Zealand 4 2 0 2 83 91 -8 4 10 1 9

Start getting used to that position, Ozbash. :p
Bledisloe will be back in the cupboard in 2005.

weasel

First Grade
South Africa deserved to win, I don't know if they were the best side allround but they certainly played great attacking rugby, and it's a positive to see the team who did that best take the title, especially after the debacle in Christchurch. The tries for and against on that table is interesting reading.

SA- 13 tries for, 9 against.

Aus- 8 tries for, 6 against.

NZ- 4 tries for, 10 against.

You guys had nothing. :twisted:

Te Kaha

First Grade
And exactly what silverware to the Wannabies have????? ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH, NOTHING, NADA, NOUGHT.

Does coming second make the wannabies the kings of the losers?????

Latest posts