What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wally Lewis vs Andrew Johns

Who is the better player?

• Andrew Johns

Votes: 93 63.3%
  • Wally Lewis

Votes: 54 36.7%

• Total voters

gregstar

Referee
LESStar58 said:
This is a terrible thread. how can you compare the two players?

The game is a lot faster and played under different rules and such nowadys.

They are both top of their game for their time.
dead right!

lewis is an immortal & johns will be an immortal

for the same reasons that fulton, gasnier, raper, langlands & beetson are immortals.

they are the best of their era.

if you have to attempt to drag one down to make a case for another, you aren't a good judge.

Nikki

Coach
Joey is a spoilt brat. I watched yesterdays game and i have seen under 6's play with more respect for the other team than him

roopy

Referee
gregstar said:
he probably handled the ball in every set of six in every match he ever played in.
I thought you were passionate, but now I think you are delusional.
I often had to count the players to see if Wally was on the field till he did something brilliant. I sometimes think that was his secret - make everyone forget you are playing.

gregstar

Referee
roopy said:
I thought you were passionate, but now I think you are delusional.
I often had to count the players to see if Wally was on the field till he did something brilliant. I sometimes think that was his secret - make everyone forget you are playing.
what the hell are you talking about? he was the only decent player in the coast's team. why wouldn't he be the focal point of the attack and handle the ball every set? especially when there was no one else with his ability. he was the kicker for heaven's sake. LOL!

please tell me how many seasons you watched him play football.

Tigertread

Juniors
roopy said:
Did you watch the Johns brothers play through the minor grades at Newcastle and see Andrew play his way into junior Aus sides.
I'm talking at their peak not at junior level.

Tigertread

Juniors
gregstar said:
i am getting that impression.

an overwhelming impression.
I'm sure he hasn't.
He must think the Brisbane comp back in the 80s was like junior league in Newcastle.

Kiwi

First Grade
roopy said:
I suspect all champions will blow up when they see others not rising to their standard - but the difference is - that is all Wally had to offer at the GC - Johns will blow up and then try his guts out - Wally blew up and pouted till he got his paycheck.

Wally never limped around the park nearly everytime his team was losing. How often do we see Johns do it? The limp would suddenly dissapear if the Knights got back into matches and suddenly Johns would be the reason for the win and the hero despite guys like Kennedy, Buderus, Simpson, O'Davis being the ones getting them back into games.

gregstar

Referee
it's sad that people have to pull one apart to make the other look good.

that's not your go kiwi.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Kiwi said:
Wally never limped around the park nearly everytime his team was losing. How often do we see Johns do it? The limp would suddenly dissapear if the Knights got back into matches and suddenly Johns would be the reason for the win and the hero despite guys like Kennedy, Buderus, Simpson, O'Davis being the ones getting them back into games.

:lol: Here's another lie you can add to your signature Kiwi. It's like your personal one, you love bringing this one out, despite it obviously being bullsh*t.

Please provide an example of Johns dogging it (that's what you're trying to insinuate here yeah?) in a game, only to come back to life when the Knights were winning.

You're talking out your arse, because what actually happens is Johns puts on a cramp to buy extra time for his team to recover, then he more often than not is the catalyst for the Knights to come back and win the game (when they do).

Pigskin

Juniors
roopy said:
Wally played with one of the greatest club sides of all time and looked fantastic - then he went to the Gold Coast and was just embaressing.

Johns has played with some very ordinary Newcastle sides over the last 13 years - and has managed to win a very healthy percentage of games surrounded by Neville Nobodies.

In cricket teams - Wally was a 'slow track bully' meaning he really rubbed it in when he was in a dominant side, but he proved with Gold Coast that when the going gets tough - he just stands around with his hands on his hips looking grumpy - or throwing passes to where he thinks Steve Renouf would have been if he was in a decent side.

this is just a very embarrassing post ... hand in your moderators badge and do your homework for school tomorrow

by the time he went to the GC he was like Jason Smith at the raiders today ... do you think the Broncos would let him go at the peak of his powers ?

lets face it, in those days, the game was tougher ... a more brutal physical battle ... the majority of players were finished by the time they were 30 or 31

Wally was at his best in the mid 80's ... but i'm glad you recognise the quality of the brisbane comp in those days

as for feeding passes to Renouf (played 2 years of reserve grade at the broncos - in all 1988 - 1999) ... they only played together at club level for a handful of games at the Broncos and never for Queensland ... so i guess you luck out here also ... but thanks for playing kid

yes Joey played in some ordinary Newcastle sides ... but he has hardly dominated the league or at Origin level bar the last few years ... Wally dominated all for a decade and was rarely out of action barring his broken arm

if you never saw Wally play, just politely say, Joey is the best i've seen and then stfu

Oink !

bluesbreaker

Bench
Pigskin said:
this is just a very embarrassing post ... hand in your moderators badge and do your homework for school tomorrow

You might like to follow your own advice.

Pigskin said:
Wally was at his best in the mid 80's ... but i'm glad you recognise the quality of the brisbane comp in those days

The QLD comp wasn't the same standard as the NSWRL comp. There is clear evidence of this, just look at how state games went before the elidgeability business came into it. NSW trounced QLD most of the time. Therefore, NSW had a better competition. Care to argue this?

Pigskin said:
yes Joey played in some ordinary Newcastle sides ... but he has hardly dominated the league or at Origin level bar the last few years ... Wally dominated all for a decade and was rarely out of action barring his broken arm

Wally dominated in a lower standard competition than Johns did. This is a fact. Johns has been the best player in the best competition in the world since at the least 1998 (Actually, I could find you articles from 1996 where Warren Ryan, Jack gibson, Peter Sterling, bob Fulton and a host of others were saying he's as good as any other halfback that's played... Not bad for a guy 2 years into his career). That's nearly a decade of dominance.

And Charlie_saab, Johns played all his junior football under the 5 metre rule, it's not like he wasn't experienced with it. Nothing he has shown would indicate he'd struggle under it, considering he has better skills than Wally all the way across the board (passing, kicking, vision, speed... You name it).

Mr Saab

Referee
I never said Johns couldnt handle the 5m rule. Find me a quote where i wrote that.

As for the passing, kicking, vision etc....thats your opinion....now go and find that comparrison the Telegraph made between the two of them to make you happy.

Kiwi

First Grade
gregstar said:
it's sad that people have to pull one apart to make the other look good.

that's not your go kiwi.

True

I guess i'll leave the joey brigade to their usual spank the monkeyathon