What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walmsley to sign - Possm take a bow!

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Anyhow.... Back to Walmsley. I only saw him in one game. Can some of the better judges who watched him in the world cup consider what he is worth ? Is he all hype and slow to get up to play the ball as some are saying ? Worth 600k , 400k ? Whilst I think we really don't have a big bopper that's proven ( Kerr, Laurie ) would this guy be worth 500k and improve the side ??

Definitely not worth 600k, that's Paul Vaughan-type money. I wouldn't be paying more than 300-400k for him, especially considering he is an impact forward only.

giboz71

First Grade
Aitken on the bench, Mann at left wing and 3 bench forwards ( LAM, Sims, Leilua/Sele) effectively covers all injury scenarios if that is indeed what Mary is worried about.

- if a wing or centre goes down, Aitken slots straight in
- if a fullback or half goes down, Aitken to wing and Mann to half/fullback
- if the hooker goes down, Aitken to wing, Mann to half, Hunt to hooker
- if an edge forward goes down, Aitken slots straight in the the forwards (he’s strong enough to handle it)
- if a prop goes down, then our 3rd bench forward (Leilua/Sele) slots in and plays longer minutes.

Ideally we should have had a Havili type player that can cover hooker and 2nd row as our bench utility but we don’t have that. Aitken on the bench is the next best thing.

Gareth67

First Grade
Whalmsley , $600 k is a huge amount and he would need to be a combination of both Vaughan and Graham for that amount . Personally I also believe that we need another big bod to compliment Vaughan - a good pair of bookends so to speak.

However we were supposed to have signed this chap already for 2019 . So just how much truth was there to the rumour ? My point being is , if he has signed then whatever amount he signed for has already been agreed upon .

Whether that be $400k or even $600k , one thing is certain however and that is that he won't be leaving sunny England for a pittance , more so at his age .

SaintPauli

Juniors
A
Anyhow.... Back to Walmsley. I only saw him in one game. Can some of the better judges who watched him in the world cup consider what he is worth ? Is he all hype and slow to get up to play the ball as some are saying ? Worth 600k , 400k ? Whilst I think we really don't have a big bopper that's proven ( Kerr, Laurie ) would this guy be worth 500k and improve the side ??
Agree., Kerr, Blocker and Luc Leilua. One of these three if not 2 will be quality forwards. My favourite is Luc. Watch him go this year.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Aitken on the bench, Mann at left wing and 3 bench forwards ( LAM, Sims, Leilua/Sele) effectively covers all injury scenarios if that is indeed what Mary is worried about.

- if a wing or centre goes down, Aitken slots straight in
- if a fullback or half goes down, Aitken to wing and Mann to half/fullback
- if the hooker goes down, Aitken to wing, Mann to half, Hunt to hooker
- if an edge forward goes down, Aitken slots straight in the the forwards (he’s strong enough to handle it)
- if a prop goes down, then our 3rd bench forward (Leilua/Sele) slots in and plays longer minutes.

Ideally we should have had a Havili type player that can cover hooker and 2nd row as our bench utility but we don’t have that. Aitken on the bench is the next best thing.
Don't be surprised if the hooker is injured MANN or NICHOLLS might be used ..........

possm

Coach
Definitely not worth 600k, that's Paul Vaughan-type money. I wouldn't be paying more than 300-400k for him, especially considering he is an impact forward only.
He's an international who is playing well. I'd say 500k will be what we sign him for. Considering that he will make a hell of a difference to our prop rotation, I believe he is well worth the price. If he comes in 2019 it will be Allgood and Latimore who we let go and with the extra cap money, he will fit in nicely.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Very hard to put a figure on Walmsley (assuming he does come in 2019).
First of all he is an international player and that does add weight to a higher ceiling of salary.
Opposing that though is the fact that he isnt an NRL hardened prop, more than likely starting on the bench and used as an impact type and will be 28 (29?) by the time he gets here.
To throw a huge amount on him would be folly IMO particularly in year 1 of lets assume a 3yr deal. The big IF here is:
If he fails to live up to expectations we are stuck with a high ceiling earner producing zero and blocking a prospective youngsters pathway. Be honest a 600k salary wont be playing reserve grade. Even trading him off we would still be asked to dig in a major portion of his salary at another club.
The other if is:
If he does produce we then have the option of increasing proportionate to his productivity. Which to me makes much more sense.
So, IMO 400k would be the number i would sign him at with performance clauses thrown in as an incentive.
Signing him for more than that just isnt an economical advantage.

Gareth67

First Grade
Very hard to put a figure on Walmsley (assuming he does come in 2019).
First of all he is an international player and that does add weight to a higher ceiling of salary.
Opposing that though is the fact that he isnt an NRL hardened prop, more than likely starting on the bench and used as an impact type and will be 28 (29?) by the time he gets here.
To throw a huge amount on him would be folly IMO particularly in year 1 of lets assume a 3yr deal. The big IF here is:
If he fails to live up to expectations we are stuck with a high ceiling earner producing zero and blocking a prospective youngsters pathway. Be honest a 600k salary wont be playing reserve grade. Even trading him off we would still be asked to dig in a major portion of his salary at another club.
The other if is:
If he does produce we then have the option of increasing proportionate to his productivity. Which to me makes much more sense.
So, IMO 400k would be the number i would sign him at with performance clauses thrown in as an incentive.
Signing him for more than that just isnt an economical advantage.

If he has / does sign with the Dragons we will have a very good rotation in the front row . The man would need a season to acclimatise himself to the N.R.L. But in his second year he would , imo be a very potent force to reckon with .

He would have a slight reduction in weight and his fitness would be the best it's ever been after getting into some hard training . Also by next year we may have the joint venture in more capable hands so with the addition of Whamlsley there may only be one other forward required .

Therefore allowing recruitment to concentrate on a couple of class outside backs / finishers , not forgetting of course our own juniors whom shall make up one hell of a team .

Old Timer

Coach
So according to the pro Walmsley crowd there is evidently no NRL hardened prop worth chasing at a price between $400k - $600k.
I find that incredibly hard to believe.
All this tripe about him being an international, FFS it is only England that he played for and he wouldn't get anywhere near a rep spot if he was an Aussie.
IMO far too much love for an unproven (at least at NRL level) limey.
I can guarantee you he won't be the next Sam Burgess, James Graham or Adrian Morley far more chance of him being a 2019 version of Merv Hicks.

John moz

Juniors
He is highly rated better than Burgess and will sign with the Dragons 750.000 .At the age of 27 and plenty of experience that is what we need size and hands and speed plus a english international thats hungry for success in the nrl and a premiership on top with his good mates widdop and graham

Old Timer

Coach
He is highly rated better than Burgess and will sign with the Dragons 750.000 .At the age of 27 and plenty of experience that is what we need size and hands and speed plus a english international thats hungry for success in the nrl and a premiership on top with his good mates widdop and graham
You are joking aren't you????
Better than Sam Burgess (laughable)
$750,000 / year (imagine the animosity that would cause if we paid that money)
27 FFS if he comes in 2019 he will be 29 in the April of that year.
Who gives a shit who he is mates ,with the simple question is can he play at the highest level in the NRL the minute that he arrives and that is far more than likely to be a big NO.
Your better of going back to your Nov 1 thread

Brutalitops

Juniors
Is 3 hours the quickest that John moz has ever been proved full of shit?

Latest posts