What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War Movie Buffs

Love a good war movie, best served on a rainy Saturday afternoon .. (particularly those from the 60’s or earlier).

The Dirty Dozen is my favourite old school war movie.

Mark B

Juniors
An old school war movie I can always watch again is Kelly’s Heroes. What a class line up of actors from that era. That piece at the end when both the US troops and the German Tank Commander decide it’s time to get rich and stop shooting at each other is a great finish to this film.

Jim Rockford

Bench
An old school war movie I can always watch again is Kelly’s Heroes. What a class line up of actors from that era. That piece at the end when both the US troops and the German Tank Commander decide it’s time to get rich and stop shooting at each other is a great finish to this film.
My favourite part is when OddBall is explaining how they fill their shells with paint, "We got our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes... pretty pictures. Scares the hell outta people! We have a loudspeaker here, and when we go into battle we play music, very loud. It kind of... calms us down."

Mr Spock!

Referee
Even the song in that movie is great..

My kids ask for that movie.

Mr Spock!

Referee
This was the first movie I saw at the movies.

An old b-grade war movies starring Lee Van Cleef. Basically Allied commandos pose as Italian soldiers to capture a base which led to a huge shootout with Germans at the end.

Sort of like a spaghetti Western standard but really entertaining like when we went to see the terrence Hill and bud Spencer trinity movies.

Full move is on YouTube...

Mark B

Juniors
This was the first movie I saw at the movies.

An old b-grade war movies starring Lee Van Cleef. Basically Allied commandos pose as Italian soldiers to capture a base which led to a huge shootout with Germans at the end.

Sort of like a spaghetti Western standard but really entertaining like when we went to see the terrence Hill and bud Spencer trinity movies.

Full move is on YouTube...
Lee Van Cleef is a legend. His roles were many but a few stick out, Escape From New York, which is in my top ten cult classics. Another movie done on a shoe string budget but you would never know. The other one being The Octagon with the legend Chuck Norris. Both these films especially the Octagon were filmed at the long closed but classic Indian Dunes Ranch in northern LA County.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Lee Van Cleef is a legend. His roles were many but a few stick out, Escape From New York, which is in my top ten cult classics. Another movie done on a shoe string budget but you would never know. The other one being The Octagon with the legend Chuck Norris. Both these films especially the Octagon were filmed at the long closed but classic Indian Dunes Ranch in northern LA County.
Escape is my all-time favourite movie. In fact I absolutely love everything John Carpenter has ever done. You're right too about The Octagon, definitely one of Chucks best movies.You should also check out the 3 episodes of Gunsmoke that Lee appeared in.

Mark B

Juniors
Escape is my all-time favourite movie. In fact I absolutely love everything John Carpenter has ever done. You're right too about The Octagon, definitely one of Chucks best movies.You should also check out the 3 episodes of Gunsmoke that Lee appeared in.
I am not a big fan of Tarantino, but he nailed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Whether the story was questionable, but the way he was able to recreate the entertainment business such as the western tv shows and war movies of that era not to mention the Hollywood area of that time was awesome.

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
I am not a big fan of Tarantino, but he nailed Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Whether the story was questionable, but the way he was able to recreate the entertainment business such as the western tv shows and was movies of that era not to mention the Hollywood area of that time was awesome.
While he didn't direct it only wrote it, True Romance is the best Tarantino film.

Mark B

Juniors
This link takes you to some very rare photos. I visited this site back in 2019 before it is completely developed. Interesting for Escape From NY fans. It’s where the glider scenes along with the Chock full of Nuts scenes. Also where Vic Morrow lost his life. The area is changing rapidly and I’m glad I made the trip when I did. The area around the Santa Clara river is very over grown and just about impregnable for the most. Little wonder a lot of war movies were filmed on location there.
http://www.theefnylapage.com/articles/Prop_Sets_at_the_Dunes.pdf

Jim Rockford

Bench
This link takes you to some very rare photos. I visited this site back in 2019 before it is completely developed. Interesting for Escape From NY fans. It’s where the glider scenes along with the Chock full of Nuts scenes. Also where Vic Morrow lost his life. The area is changing rapidly and I’m glad I made the trip when I did. The area around the Santa Clara river is very over grown and just about impregnable for the most. Little wonder a lot of war movies were filmed on location there.
http://www.theefnylapage.com/articles/Prop_Sets_at_the_Dunes.pdf
Awesome stuff. Thanks for the link.

Mark B

Juniors
I had not seen The Odd Angry Shot in years. It’s now on Fox, so I watched it. Forgot just how good that movie is. Great cast and story. The mix of humour with the reality of fighting and death is bloody brilliant. The scene where the boys go to get their money exchanged when on R and R is awesome. Graham Kennedy at his best.

Mark B

Juniors
Quite a few outstanding actors in it but it's Patricia Arquette that does it for me.
The whole Arquette family had the acting gene, even poor old Robert/Alexis had his moments over his career. Patricia is the pick of the bunch. David is underrated. But wholly smokes the family is a weird one, even by Hollywood standards.

Matua

Bench
While he didn't direct it only wrote it, True Romance is the best Tarantino film.
I think there's too much of Scott in True Romance to call it a Tarantino film (but if it is it's top 3 for me, having my cake and eating it to).

Some of the best war movies I've seen -

• The Guns of Navarone (1961)
  • Midway (1976)
  • Patton (1969)
  • Battle of the Bulge (1965)
  • The Dam Busters (1955)
  • Battle of Britain (1969)
  • Heroes of Telemark (1965)
  • Where Eagles Dare (1968)
  • The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
  • Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
  • Enemy at the Gates (2001)