What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

War Movie Buffs

Parra

Referee
Watched the beginning of Full Metal Jacket the other night. Haven't seen it for years. Is there any other movie that opens with such impact? It is full on for about 20 minutes straight. No time to reflect.

Another good war movie with Donald Sutherland is the 1981 film Eye of the Needle. Sutherland plays a nazi spy in England who is trying to discover the Allied plans for D-Day and where the landing will be (Calais or Normandy). Is more a thriller than an action movie but it is very good.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Another good war movie with Donald Sutherland is the 1981 film Eye of the Needle. Sutherland plays a nazi spy in England who is trying to discover the Allied plans for D-Day and where the landing will be (Calais or Normandy). Is more a thriller than an action movie but it is very good.
Good call. Another one is The Eagle Has Landed which has a very strong cast besides Sutherland.

soc123_au

Staff member
I just discovered the old mid 80s mini series "Anzacs" is on Stan. I started watching it last night. It doesn't really measure up that well by todays standards, but I'm enjoying it for the nostalgic value.

Besides the usual classics such as
Kelly's heroes
The Dirty Dozen
Etc
I have looked for years without success for a low budget English made Vietnam movie
Called How Sleep the Brave
Saw it in the early 80s &it stuck with me for a very long time .
Acting was ordinary ( lol some British accent pops out occasionally )but it was brutally realistic ..not many actors but the story is very good ..
Basically the story is raw young recruits arrive ..
Sent straight into the jungle .
& after their first mission with loss of life & gore everywhere they are sent straight back..
Into the madness .
I thought platoon was just a far bigger budgeted with the Hollywood fanfare crap ..well not rip off but similar.

Maybe if I find it it won't be near as good as I remember .
But there's one line in it that I loved

Sir ..an Elephant has just wandered into the perimeter .
Kill the F##ker he's probably VC

Ah the 80s. So many movie memories .

myrrh ken

First Grade
Watched the beginning of Full Metal Jacket the other night. Haven't seen it for years. Is there any other movie that opens with such impact? It is full on for about 20 minutes straight. No time to reflect.
The rest of the movie is pretty forgettable

cerberus

Coach
i don't know if "empire of the sun" is a full scale war movie.
but i would consider it in the 5 best films ever made

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
I mentioned this one in the 1917 thread but thought I should add it to the discussion here - Oh! what a Lovely War

Matua

Bench
thin red line is pretty good
I dislike this movie hugely.

Was supposed to be awesome:
1. It was based on a decent book.
2. Malick was hyped.

Was actually:
1. Basically ignored the source material, eschewing narrative and structure for a B/S romanticised travelogue and a bunch of cameos.
2. Malick is way overhyped.

cerberus

Coach
I dislike this movie hugely.

Was supposed to be awesome:
1. It was based on a decent book.
2. Malick was hyped.

Was actually:
1. Basically ignored the source material, eschewing narrative and structure for a B/S romanticised travelogue and a bunch of cameos.
2. Malick is way overhyped.

never read the book . i just liked the film