What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WARNE @ 55.45

pogo

Juniors
yes boys read em and weep thats his average per wicket in tests against india.....

hope he doesnt get a sore neck watching the ball disappear back over his head into the crowd....

i see where he publicly states he is targeting rahul dravid, the question is who was he targeting on previous trips??

lockyno1

Post Whore
yes boys read em and weep thats his average per wicket in tests against india.....

hope he doesnt get a sore neck watching the ball disappear back over his head into the crowd....

i see where he publicly states he is targeting rahul dravid, the question is who was he targeting on previous trips??

I'm not disputing his average at all, but he has hardly been 100% fit on any of his Indian tours before, and this will be the first one he is near full fitness!

Iafeta

Referee
pogo said:

Mr Heinz Baked Beans.

azza

Juniors
Warne went into the last tour of India saying he was 100% fit and then has changed his tune after that tour. He should probably just shut up and do his talking on the field.

pogo

Juniors
yes azza its always best to be cautious about such predictions as they can come back to haunt you.

i was surprised he didnt state that vvs laxman was his target or maybe tendulkar i always considered those to be better players of spin......or was he choosing the easier target of the three if there is such a thing.

cricket in india is a fantastic test of skill, so much different from the australian conditions where the wickets dont deteriorate anywhere near as much.

thank goodness india have been competitive in recent times it makes for an enthralling series, hopefully slashin sachin tendulkar will be able to take his place in the first test, if not as soon as possible.

Eddie.

Bench
Warne will get over 20 wickets in the series. Fit or not fit he is bowling a hell of a lot better then he was in 2001.

Broncodroid

Juniors
I will acknowledge Warne's poor record vs India. Stats don't lie in cricket we will find, but I will say this.

I learnt a valuable lesson back in 1996 when writing off a champion when all seems stacked against him or her, I look to the 1500m final where Kieren Perkins from lane 8 did what he was not supposed to do...win. Here we were talking about the best swimmer Australia had seen at the time, and MOST were giving him next to no chance. What happened is now history, that day is one of the great sporting memories I have in my 24 years. Perkins won gold.

Other examples of where a champion athlete has done what he was not supposed to do:

* Michael Jordan at 40+ y.o. coming back to the NBA for the Washington Wizards and being competitive. He wasn't the MJ in his prime, but he was MJ enough to be as good any bar a handful in the NBA.

* Mark Taylor breaking the slump that would of saw off many Test cricketers (he was captain) and then going on to equal the Don with 334* vs Pakistan.

* Shane Warne himself after a 12mth layoff coming back to Test cricket mesmerising the hapless Sri Lankans picking up 10for in his first test back.

What I am getting at is this.

Shane Warne's track record suggests he is going to struggle against the best players of spin in world cricket. India remain the final frontier for Shane Warne and with his career nearing the end, I see Shane Warne re-writing this last chapter and playing the lead role bowling wise in this series.

Yes, Warne has been in and out of injury when tackling the Indians, but when a player takes the field in any sport, IMO, he leaves excuses in the dressing shed.

I am happy for guys like pogo to write off Warne, we are only talking about the greatest spinner of all time and perhaps the best bowler of all time as well...I will put my money with Warne despite the mediocre results in times gone by.

Can't wait for the series.

pogo

Juniors
not only am i writing him off i am death riding him miamiasaurarse i hope he gets tonked deluxe all around india!!

he is certainly a champion at bowling out the tail in one day and test cricket no question about that !!!

lets see if his mouth can back up his claims!!!

by the way warne should never be mentioned in the same breath as keiran perkins............one is squeaky clean the other a convicted drug cheat rubbed out of his sport for twelve months wasnt it?? for taking a banned substance!!!!!!!!!

GO INDIA

Broncodroid

Juniors
pogo said:
not only am i writing him off i am death riding him miamiasaurarse i hope he gets tonked deluxe all around india!!

he is certainly a champion at bowling out the tail in one day and test cricket no question about that !!!

lets see if his mouth can back up his claims!!!

by the way warne should never be mentioned in the same breath as keiran perkins............one is squeaky clean the other a convicted drug cheat rubbed out of his sport for twelve months wasnt it?? for taking a banned substance!!!!!!!!!

GO INDIA

Playing on my screen name, "miamiasaurarse"...hillarious, we are dealing with another immature poster ladies and gents :roll: Moving on though.

As for mentioning Shane Warne in the same breathe as another Australian champion athlete, unfortunately, I am entitled to my own opinion in spite of what you have been led to believe. Both in their chosen fields are champions despite Warne's off field dramas that have followed him throughout his brilliant career. I am not giving an opinion in relation to Shane Warne the everyday human being, I am soley looking at his deeds on field in which no one can argue his standing in the history of the game.

"he is certainly a champion at bowling out the tail in one day and test cricket no question about that !!!"

The above shows your blinded by the feelings against Shane Warne the individual when we are only discussing Shane Warne the sportsmen. Your comment is misinformed and from this point on, I will not bother replying to one who is simply posting to get a rise out of Australian cricket fans.

Go ahead, mock Warne, call for him to get knocked all of the sub continent...I am sure this is no skin of my nose nor any other Shane Warne fan. The thing about Shane Warne is he will not die wondering, if he again fails, he will fail knowing he was near his absolute best and Indians were simply too good. No excuses.

pogo

Juniors
dont get testy miami its all good discussions and i did spell your name accidentally incorrectly....

warne is a great bowler absolutely no doubt, and EXTREMELY effective at bowling to the tail, he s not bad either at bowling at the top order.

i agree with you he will never die wondering.....bring on a great series.

GO INDIA

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
india are the best team in the world at playing spin, so it's always going be hard for him. He has now got his loop back and is turning the ball again. So he should go alright.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Bring it home Knights said:
india are the best team in the world at playing spin, .

Thats very true, but I also think they are one of the worst at playing fast bowling, which is why they have been exposed in the first test.

pogo

Juniors
ahh yes how good was that watching warne get plastered into the stand by world class top order batsmaen HARBAJHAN SINGH and IRFAN PATHAN....lol, and on a fifth day indian wicket!!!!

the only surprise was warnes arm didnt drop off from the number of overs he bowled.........talk about putting the individual before the team!!

i was wrong when i said he was a champion at bowling out the tail wasnt i miami???

count your lucky stars you won the toss australia!!!

GO INDIA

Latest posts