What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WARNE @ 55.45

lockyno1

Post Whore
did you get that pitch report from shane warne or mark waugh???

any idea on the weather??

Maybe the ground staff can tell you, as everyone knows they doctor the piches over there like anything! :clap:

pogo

Juniors
good to see warne admit he bowled "rubbish" in the second innings at bangalore! i guess he differs in that view form mcsheep.

i hope this new found honesty will extend to all areas of his cricket on and off the field.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Interresting to hear his comments on JJJ news today.

He said he was looking at trying to break the world record, and his last 5 overs were rubbish, instead of being patient, like he normally bowls.

Macca

Coach
Ahhh, so in context he said his last 5 overs were crap not that he bowled crap in the entire second innings?

pogo

Juniors
fantastic he bowled his " best " and couldnt remove either harbajhan singh( 11 wickets) or parthan!!

then.......he got tonked!!!

how is his average mcsheep ?? is time still going to see that corrected??

despite all your excuses it stands at around 54 and his match figures , despite every opportunity 4/193!!

dont let facts stuff a good story!!

lockyno1

Post Whore
fantastic he bowled his " best " and couldnt remove either harbajhan singh( 11 wickets) or parthan!!

then.......he got tonked!!!

how is his average mcsheep ?? is time still going to see that corrected??

despite all your excuses it stands at around 54 and his match figures , despite every opportunity 4/193!!

dont let facts stuff a good story!!

Ok Harbajan got 11 wickets, um did he win the game! NO :roll:

Warne got 4 and they won the game! Who cares what his average is! If he gets 4 wickets every test and they win the series, I'm sure Gilchrist and/or Ponting will be congratulating Warne!

pogo

Juniors
like all sheep lockyno1 you are following the flock.

tell me mate if damien martyn got 10 0r 15 runs in each innings or had a very poor average would others here criticise him??

yes my oath they would!! but warne IS a sacred cow!!! uncriticisable!!

you and mcsheep and the rest cannot accept warne s record for what it is in india!

i personally reckon he will improve it on this tour as he will get every opportunity thrown at him to bowl, and all on spinning wickets.
so far though he HASNT thats all i am saying.

the facts are he couldnt dismiss singh or parthan on a last day indian wicket , if you are happy with him ...so be it.

like i said before dont let the facts stuff a good story!

wittyfan

Referee
Warne's career in India has been affected by various injuries in the past. Plus India play spin bowling very well on their own pitches. Warne is on the verge of holding the world record for most wickets, something that he richly deserves.

pogo

Juniors
in india?? what would posters consider acceptable??

considering his rank failures on previous tours!

Broncodroid

Juniors
I will give this a first attempt keeping my "patriotism" out of this not to mention Warne ranking as one of my favourite cricketers of all time. Let's see how we go...

At the moment, Warne's record vs India stands as:

13M - 3700balls - 129mdn - 1926runs - 39wk - 49.38avg

Pretty ordianary in comparison to Richie Benaud (LS) or Ashley Mallett (OS) with their records reading:

Benaud; 8M - 2953balls - 198mdn - 956runs - 52wk - 18.38avg

Mallett; 5M - 1792balls - 129mdn - 535runs - 28wk - 19.10avg

Their is the argument that Benaud and Mallett played in different era's, ok, fair call, how do other modern day spin wizards rank vs India in the modern era:

Muralitharan (SL); 12M - 3822balls - 154mdn - 1680runs - 51wk - 32.94avg

S. Mustaq (PAK); 4M - 1385balls - 51mdn - 707runs - 25wk - 28.28avg

P. Adams (SA); 5M - 947balls - 30mdn - 546runs - 23wk - 23.73avg

[unable to retrieve stats for D. Vetorri of NZ)

It should also be said, former Pakistan Legspin bowler Abdul Quadir struggled in his day as well:

A. Quadir (PAK LS); 16M - 2559balls - 74mdn - 1391runs - 27wk - 51.51avg

My answer to the question asked of pogo is this...

I would accept an average of 35.00 and under with 4 wickets p/test. Thus far Shane Warne is failing me on both criteria I have put forward and at this stage of his career we may not see him reach my desired goal.

This tour, Warne is fit and has no excuses, as it stands, he has taken 10 wickets so far with an average of around 30 or 31 (someone correct me there, I am guessing). With 2 tests to play, I would be expecting at least a 20 wicket haul over 4 test matches remaining at the current tour average which would be under 35.00. This expectation is rather modest, though we cannot hide from the fact that the Indians do not fear Warne which makes each wicket one that is earnt.

Just my opinion.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
You make some good point and thanks for all your research.

Important note that his current tour average is just over 30, which means he has picked up abit on his past efforts.

I would expect a tour avarage of less that 35 with about 30 wickets, would be a sucessfull tour for him.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Twizzle said:
You make some good point and thanks for all your research.

Important note that his current tour average is just over 30, which means he has picked up abit on his past efforts.

I would expect a tour avarage of less that 35 with about 30 wickets, would be a sucessfull tour for him.

Cheers Twizzle...

Though I am an unashamed Shane Warne fan to the highest degree, I cannot envision the man taking 20 wickets in 2 more tests to get to 30 wickets for the tour...Look, I hope I am dead set wrong, though history would tell me the safe money is that he won't get there.

pogo

Juniors
i see that international bookies have the human headline aka shane warne at 1.83 take your pick to take over or under 12.5 wickets in the nagpur test!!

very interesting considering the pitch reports of the past few days.

looks like the close shave of the deck has happened after all.

if ever warne is going to fire in india i reckon this might be the time.

it wont be from lack of opportunity thats for sure....can he bowl from both ends???

pogo

Juniors
that preious post is incorrect , the odds equate to 6.5 wickets or more my sports betting accountant informs me...........it will be interesting however to see the impact he has on this game.

whats your tip mcsheep australia to win mate???

Latest posts