What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warne Vs Murali

The Colonel

Immortal
sanjane said:
And that's why he's got better figures than him?

Take off the 116 wickets against the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and his record stands behind Warne.....

Tommy Smith

Referee
The Colonel said:
Take off the 116 wickets against the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and his record stands behind Warne.....
Funny you should say that because i just did abit of research on that, and...

Take away the 116 wickets Murali has taken vs the nuffy nations and he still averages an impressive 24.02.

Take away the massive 6 wickets Warne has taken against them and his average decreases by .02 to 25.18.

However the big difference for me between Warne and Murali are their respective records away from home...or in other words their ability to perform in all conditions and not just those presented to them at home. And here is the difference:

Warne - 363 wickets at 24.39. 20 5-wicket hauls
Murali - 190 wickets at 26.92. 14 5-wicket hauls

Warney's record is much better. Both are great bowlers, the greatest leg-spinner and greatest off-spinner of all-time. However for me when you consider the above and also Warney's magnificent cricketing brain and unrivalled mental strength, he is THE MAN. The greatest bowler ever.

But Murali is certianly up there and people shouldnt discredit him. What he has done for Sri Lankan cricket is incredible.

The Colonel

Immortal
Tommy Smith said:
But Murali is certianly up there and people shouldnt discredit him. What he has done for Sri Lankan cricket is incredible.

I think the guy is a good bowler. It is just he has an inflated record (in regards to wickets taken) off the back of playing nations who aren't at a particularly high level and on friendly wickets......

The mind boggles at what Warne would have achieved had he been given the opportunities to play against the likes of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe that Murali has had.

J-Man

Juniors
What about stats for the World Cup, to provide some kind of neutrality in venue and opposition.

Warne - 17 matches, 32 wickets at 19.50

Murali - 21 matches, 30 wickets at 23.10

Warne also steps up in the finals against quality opposition:

Warne - 5 finals matches, 14 wickets at 14.85

Murali - 4 finals matches, 4 wickets at 31.50

lockyno1

Post Whore
Tommy Smith said:
Funny you should say that because i just did abit of research on that, and...

Take away the 116 wickets Murali has taken vs the nuffy nations and he still averages an impressive 24.02.

Take away the massive 6 wickets Warne has taken against them and his average decreases by .02 to 25.18.

However the big difference for me between Warne and Murali are their respective records away from home...or in other words their ability to perform in all conditions and not just those presented to them at home. And here is the difference:

Warne - 363 wickets at 24.39. 20 5-wicket hauls
Murali - 190 wickets at 26.92. 14 5-wicket hauls

Warney's record is much better. Both are great bowlers, the greatest leg-spinner and greatest off-spinner of all-time. However for me when you consider the above and also Warney's magnificent cricketing brain and unrivalled mental strength, he is THE MAN. The greatest bowler ever.

I disagree, from what I have seen I rate Jim Laker the best off spinner i have seen, Derek Underwood is right behind him. Murali gets too many wickets against "nuffy" nations to beat these two in my opinion.

I think everyone bar Sanjane and who has a quarter of a brain believes warne is the better bowler! They are worlds apart!

Red Bear

Referee
sanjane said:
dude, it wasn't I who called the bloke subhuman...
but think of it this way: he's a millionaire...he has the money to contribute and so he does. Don't get me wrong: I was immensely happy when he put his hand up, but that does not make up for certain other actions in my opinion. "Charity begins at home"...
Judging that response you dont dispute anything else i said. Good.
Warney is unparaleled in thinking a batsman out, better cricketing brain thatn anyone around imo.

sanjane

Juniors
GoTheBears said:
Judging that response you dont dispute anything else i said. Good.
Warney is unparaleled in thinking a batsman out, better cricketing brain thatn anyone around imo.

better cricketing brain?????????????????

thats y he elected to bat 1st and saw the FicaXI out for less than 100

the funny thing is guys like mr.lillee want the captaincy to be given to warne, because warne made up most decisions in the Ashes..so, then why blame ponting?

lockyno1

Post Whore
sanjane said:
better cricketing brain?????????????????

thats y he elected to bat 1st and saw the FicaXI out for less than 100

the funny thing is guys like mr.lillee want the captaincy to be given to warne, because warne made up most decisions in the Ashes..so, then why blame ponting?

We blame Ponting, I wonder why? It may have something to do with the fact that the CAPTAIN should be making the decisions!:roll:

sanjane

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
We blame Ponting, I wonder why? It may have something to do with the fact that the CAPTAIN should be making the decisions!:roll:

yeah but wasnt mr best crickting brain the 'pseudo' captain or stg?

Red Bear

Referee
Your disputing Warnes cricketing brain? He may be a dumbarse off the field, i dont know, but he is bloody brilliant out there.

TheParraboy

Staff member
sanjane said:
So Warne would've had more wickets had D.K.Lillee not been bowling from the other end?

:roll:

How about trying McGrath and Gillespie ?

Warne 40 ashes wickets eh ?
Dont know if he would have got close to that if Gillespie was in form and McGrath played those two tests he was out.

A problem Murali never has had

fish eel

Immortal
sanjane said:
because warne made up most decisions in the Ashes..so, then

Thats just rubbish and you know it.

There were plenty of reports that during the ashes series there was a rift between warnie and punter....that warne wasnt happen with the direction the side was taking.

would warne be a good test skipper?

Dont know, he has certainly shown a lot of flair when he has skippered australia in the one day game.

Test matches, he is untried. I remember reading reports though that when he capatined victoria he was a bit of a disappointment. Still, skippers grow in their job the longer they are in it.

My concern about punter though is he doesnt seem to be accepting any responsibility......so if thats the case, how is he gonna learn from it??

TheParraboy

Staff member
Interesting statistics in SL regarding both bowlers

Is Shane Warne a better bowler in Sri Lanka than Murali?
Well 3 out of the 4 grounds would suggest yes.
How many wickets would Warne be on now if Australian tracks were doctored for him too? 800?, 900?, 1000?

Asgiriya Stadium, Kandy (SL)
Murali 13 games, 91 W @ 17.23
Warne 2 games 15 W @ 15.00

Galle International Stadium (SL)
Murali 11 games, 87 W @ 16.14
Warne 2 games 13 W @ 14.84

P.Saravanamuttu Stadium, Colombo (SL)
Murali 5 games, 25 W @ 27.32
Warne 1 game 11 W @ 17.09

R.Premadasa Stadium, Khettarama, Colombo (SL)
Murali 6 games, 36 W @ 21.13
Warne no games

Sinhalese Sports Club Ground, Colombo (SL)
Murali 18 games, 118 W @ 21.91
Warne 3 games 9 W @ 37.33 0

Murali won't come to Australia because he is scared of copping a bit from the crowds, AND being called for no balls.

Yet Warne goes through a divorce, has his name rubbished through the English press and is going through a personal crisis, yet still tours England, plays county cricket and takes 40 wickets in the ashes.

Shane Warne is a much better bowler than Murali, however Murali is probably a much better thrower than Warne...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
it's funny how you guys always bring down the kumbles, the mushtaqs, the muralis and the harbhajans by saying they play on spin-friendly wickets but will not rate the zaheers, the chamindas and the akhtars anywhere near your McGraths & co...despite them playing on pace-friendly wickets.

Excellent point.

sanjane has easily provided the most coherent debate in this thread.

:lol::lol: at waltzing meninga and lockyno1 trying to lay down the law a few pages back.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Take out Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and Murali has slightly better figures. Look at performances away from home and Warne has slightly better figures. Warne's average is surely helped by him having better bowlers at the other end putting the pressure on though. Yes, Murali takes more wickets per match cos he has worse bowlers at the other end, but I can't fathom how that could improve his average.

To me it's very nearly a tie and if I was forced to choose.....well, no, it's a tie. I would probably say Murali just to annoy people.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Thierry Henry said:
Take out Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and Murali has slightly better figures. Look at performances away from home and Warne has slightly better figures. Warne's average is surely helped by him having better bowlers at the other end putting the pressure on though. Yes, Murali takes more wickets per match cos he has worse bowlers at the other end, but I can't fathom how that could improve his average.

To me it's very nearly a tie and if I was forced to choose.....well, no, it's a tie. I would probably say Murali just to annoy people.
Yes, because as we saw during the Ashes, Warney needed quality bowlers at the other end to take wickets.:oops: He averaged 20 during the Ashes, shall we put that down to the sustained pressure created by the accuracy of Lee, Tait, Kaspa and Dizzy?

Latest posts