What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warne Vs Murali

Red Bear

Referee
I think Vaas is a good bowler, Zaheer Kahn is over rated and Akhtar is a showpony. Akhtar can bowl well but has no heart.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Tommy Smith said:
Yes, because as we saw during the Ashes, Warney needed quality bowlers at the other end to take wickets.:oops: He averaged 20 during the Ashes, shall we put that down to the sustained pressure created by the accuracy of Lee, Tait, Kaspa and Dizzy?

No

What exactly is your point?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
GoTheBears said:
I think Vaas is a good bowler, Zaheer Kahn is over rated and Akhtar is a showpony. Akhtar can bowl well but has no heart.

Overall, Akhtar is an awesome test bowler. The only thing counting against him is all the time he spends off the field for dubious reasons.

JJ

Immortal
Thierry Henry said:
Overall, Akhtar is an awesome test bowler. The only thing counting against him is all the time he spends off the field for dubious reasons.

it's his teeeny weeeeny heart that causes the problems...

Thierry Henry said:
Nope, just one very large one.

What's your point? And could you explain Tommy's while you're at it?

He was saying that Warne had no support from any other bowler this series as they all were down on form but he still took 40 wickets and averadged 20. Proving wrong your point that He needs sustained pressure from the other end to take wickets.

Tommy Smith

Referee
waltzing Meninga said:
He was saying that Warne had no support from any other bowler this series as they all were down on form but he still took 40 wickets and averadged 20. Proving wrong your point that He needs sustained pressure from the other end to take wickets.
Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Oh and lol at Sanjanes claim that Bangladesh are better players of spin than England. How many wickets has Vettori taken against them? Plenty at a low average. And if Vettori can bowl them out imagine what Warney would do to them.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Tommy Smith said:
Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Oh and lol at Sanjanes claim that Bangladesh are better players of spin than England. How many wickets has Vettori taken against them? Plenty at a low average. And if Vettori can bowl them out imagine what Warney would do to them.

he's just trying to legitamise Chucky's plethora of wickets v the Bangers.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I would never say that Warne needs good bowlers at the other end to take wickets. That would be ridiculous. Why try to argue against something I never said and most certainly never would say?

I was pointing out the differences in the careers of Murali and Warne, trying to show how evenly matched they are. Surely you can't deny that having good bowlers at the other end helps, or might help?

JJ

Immortal
Thierry Henry said:
I would never say that Warne needs good bowlers at the other end to take wickets. That would be ridiculous. Why try to argue against something I never said and most certainly never would say?

I was pointing out the differences in the careers of Murali and Warne, trying to show how evenly matched they are. Surely you can't deny that having good bowlers at the other end helps, or might help?

can go either way - a good bowler at the other end can also take wickets that you'd otherwise get, or bowl overs that you'd otherwise bowl...

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I don't see how it can go either way. A bowler taking wickets at the other end would reduce your wickets per match, but it wouldn't make your average worse surely.....

Thierry Henry said:
I don't see how it can go either way. A bowler taking wickets at the other end would reduce your wickets per match, but it wouldn't make your average worse surely.....

Could do. If you have someone like Mcgrath up one end, the batsmen may favour going after the spinner and could get some runs off him by having a slog.

Lego_Man

First Grade
I don't know how anyone can argue for Murali over Warne given the statistics that have been exposed in this thread. After watching Warne's performance in the Ashes series, where he singlehandedly took on a team on fire and very nearly saved the day for them....you cannot compare any of Murali's efforts to that. He's an excellent spin bowler, nothing more - nothing less. A happy-go-lucky spin bowler who uses his innate phyiscal advantages. Warne though is a cricketing genius. His off-field bullsh*t should not count against his cricketing achievements - he showed in that Ashes series a drive and determination that you rarely see in any sportsman, and one that has been present in even fewer cricketers. Murali is probably fit to lace his boots, but not much more.

And as for Akhtar, he's got some good talent, but a pea-sized heart. That's why he'll never be counted among the greats.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Lego_Man said:
I don't know how anyone can argue for Murali over Warne given the statistics that have been exposed in this thread. After watching Warne's performance in the Ashes series, where he singlehandedly took on a team on fire and very nearly saved the day for them....you cannot compare any of Murali's efforts to that. He's an excellent spin bowler, nothing more - nothing less. A happy-go-lucky spin bowler who uses his innate phyiscal advantages. Warne though is a cricketing genius. His off-field bullsh*t should not count against his cricketing achievements - he showed in that Ashes series a drive and determination that you rarely see in any sportsman, and one that has been present in even fewer cricketers. Murali is probably fit to lace his boots, but not much more.

And as for Akhtar, he's got some good talent, but a pea-sized heart. That's why he'll never be counted among the greats.

What statistics? The ones that show that (DISCOUNTING ZIMBABWE AND BANGLADESH) Murali has a slightly better career average, and extremely similar stats home and away?

Murali has turned in huge performances in numerous series, are you suggesting that the fact that he is not Australian or English (and hence couldn't play in the recent series) discounts him from consideration?

Latest posts