What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warren Ryan takes up coaching role at Canberra

Ryan to assist Raiders
By Brent Read
May 19, 2006

DUAL premiership-winning coach Warren Ryan has agreed to take up a consultancy role with Canberra next season, giving incoming coach Neil Henry one of the sharpest minds in the game to work with.

The Australian revealed in March that Canberra was ready to approach Ryan to gauge his interest in assuming a part-time position with the club.

However, Ryan was only secured after Henry, appointed last month to replace Penrith-bound Matthew Elliott next season, agreed to bring the 65-year-old on board.

Ryan is regarded as one of the most astute tacticians the game has known, having coached Newtown, Balmain, Wests, Canterbury and Newcastle during a first-grade career stretching over 17 seasons and 411 games.

He has been out of frontline coaching since parting ways with Newcastle at the end of 2000. Even so, he remains a highly respected figure as both a media analyst and sounding board to some of the game's coaches.

It is understood Ryan will not have a hands-on role with the team. Rather, he will cast his eye over the Raiders's set-up and provide advice to Henry on opposition players and teams as the season progresses.

"When we were talking to Neil about the position we asked him if it would be an assistance to have someone of the calibre of Warren Ryan to bounce things off," said Canberra chief executive Simon Hawkins.

"We didn't force it on Neil. It was entirely up to him. He saw there could be some positives in it for him."

Ryan and Henry had not met before holding recent talks, which confirmed the pair would join forces next season.

Meanwhile, Canberra playmaker Jason Smith is expected to miss at least two weeks with a broken hand.

Wests Tigers have lost prop Ryan O'Hara for the trip to New Zealand, with Kiwi international Bronson Harrison joining the squad as an 18th man.

The Australian

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19184503-23214,00.html

-------------

Can only be a good thing, IMO. The Wok is one of the smartest men in the game. Next year could be a good fresh start for the Raiders.

The Preacher

First Grade
You lucky bastards. The Wok has one of the best footy brains I've seen in action. If he can't help the new coach to get the Raiders playing good footy again, nobody can. Great coaching coop.

rabs

Staff member
listening to him on the ABC regularly tells me this is a coup for the Raiders, wok still reads the game well and should provide some good insights to the new coach, well done Canberra

Jono078

Referee
Wow, VERY good signing IMO.

Well done Canberra management.

Given some luck with injuries and some good signings this year, I can see Canberra being a top 6 team next year tbh.

Paullyboy

Coach
I think it could be an excellent signing, but it could also lead to de-stabilisation.

The master/apprentice thing could become an issue if one becomes upset with how the other operates.

Hopefully though this will be a great thing for the Raids.

The Preacher

First Grade
Paullyboy said:
I think it could be an excellent signing, but it could also lead to de-stabilisation.

The master/apprentice thing could become an issue if one becomes upset with how the other operates.

Hopefully though this will be a great thing for the Raids.

I'd be more than happy to run the risk of de-stabilisation if it meant having Wok onboard.

drake

First Grade
Excellent signing by Canberra. If Henry has half a brain he'll take everything Wok advises as gospel.

Mr Saab

Referee
Paullyboy said:

Possible, but i doubt that Wok would take up coaching again.

Scoddy

Juniors
Both Wok and Neil henry have terrific footy brains,however I think that sooner or later there will be blue and it will end in tears.

reptar

Juniors
I think it's great news! A fresh coach with new ideas, experience with assisting setting up the great system at the Cowboys, teamed with the old nut with a life-time of knowledge and a great analytical (at least when it comes to football!) brain.

I think the kind of role he's being asked to play would prevent any kind of "blue" as mentioned.

The Preacher

First Grade
Scoddy said:
Both Wok and Neil henry have terrific footy brains,however I think that sooner or later there will be blue and it will end in tears.

If that does happen, Scoddy, it would be the Raiders supporters crying. As long as it's a consultancy by the Wok, and not dual coaching, I think this could bring the Raiders back up near the top

reptar

Juniors
I think Wok would be too busy with other committments for it to end up as a dual coaching situation.

super_coach

First Grade
Its like a Shane Warne and Mark waugh thing--cash for comment--he not coaching,just getting paid to throw his two bobs worth in the ring. You only have to listen to him to know he is a guru.What the green frogs really need is a bloke who can get quality players to relocate to the nations capital

reptar

Juniors
super_coach, they need some on field success before that will happen. Just like the Raiders of the 80s, and just like the Cowboys now.

Raider_69

Post Whore
2007 cant come quick enough

We've gone from having the most pedestrian coach in the comp - Elliott, two have two master minds of the game on board

2007 - cleaning up elliotts sh*te
2008 - the begining of a new raiders era!!!! :D

sharknows

Bench
I often listen to Wok on the ABC calls and it is uncanny the way he will make a prediction about what he thinks will transpire in the game and sure enough it usually happens. Not many have his knowledge and insight.

Glenn

First Grade
Nice pick up by Canberra, will be interesting to see what the consultancy role actually involves.