What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors Chase Big Signing

Jesbass

First Grade
Captain Charisma said:
Wow. No one here really likes Tate.

I think he is a pretty good player myself.

As do I. Shall we go sit in the corner voluntarily before the others throw us there? :sarcasm:

AliN

Live Update Team
Don't worry Jess I'll come and join ya, but not in the corner. ;-)

Just haven't got round to saying I thought Tate had picked up his game the last year or so.

Victor Meldrew said:
Martin + Tate.

Great centre combination.

Martin + Tate.

Most boring centres combination to pull on a Warriors Jersey. If I wanted to be bored to that degree I'd go and rent out The English Patient .

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10436724&ref=rss

Off-contract Brisbane centre Tate sparks Warriors interest
Sunday April 29, 2007

The Warriors may have a fight on their hands if they want to secure the services of Brisbane and Kangaroos centre Brent Tate.

The 25-year-old is one of a handful of high-profile Broncos coming off contract and has sparked the interest of the Warriors.

Top-line centres are hard to come by, so a host of clubs is likely to bid for Tate. The Knights have been mentioned and Tate has been sounded out about rugby union.
Justin Hodges and Shaun Berrigan are also coming off contract.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen has told George Mimis, agent for Tate and Hodges, to see what money he could get for them before reporting back.

Hodges' worth on the open market is hard to gauge, while Berrigan is tipped to continue his career in the UK Super League in 2008.

Meanwhile, Cullen quashed concerns some of the club's stars are thinking more about contracts and money than about playing football after the Broncos tumbled to their fifth loss in seven games at the hands of the Storm on Friday night.

"We're giving those players due respect," Cullen said when asked about contract negotiations.

"Tate and Hodges are probably looking at the biggest contracts of their lives and at their ages, it could be their last, although Hodges probably has a few more years."

Tate (hip flexor) is in doubt for Friday night's home match against South Sydney, with coach Wayne Bennett again facing some selection decisions after Melbourne put the blowtorch to Darren Lockyer in his new halfback role.

While Lockyer and Berrigan were effective in the halves against Newcastle, the Storm were much better at pressuring Lockyer.
Tell you what I can't figure out - Brisbane have hardly been going that great themselves this year, and Wayne Bennett has a very good record as keeping the players he wants - so why is Tate on the outer?? If it's all because of the salary cap then you'd think they'd chop a few other players before giving Tate the heave-ho.

By Phil Rothfield
April 29, 2007

THE Brisbane Broncos have two weeks to come up with more than $1 million to prevent Test centre Brent Tate from joining the New Zealand Warriors.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned that Tate has received a $1.4 million offer to join brother-in-law Steve Price at the Warriors next year.

The Cronulla Sharks also had Tate at the top of its shopping list but cannot match the money being offered by New Zealand.

Tate's manager George Mimis was in Brisbane last week to discuss Tate's future with Broncos coach Wayne Bennett. The difficulty for the Broncos is finding enough money in the salary cap to keep Tate and Justin Hodges.

"Wayne has asked for a couple of weeks to try to come up with the right offer," Mimis said.

"The offer from New Zealand is a very good one. Brent's sister is married to Steve Price and there are obviously close family ties."

Tate and Hodges are the top two centres on the market, and sources in Brisbane indicated the club is confident of retaining Hodges but not so hopeful about Tate.

The Broncos have been in negotiations with Test utility Shaun Berrigan but are resigned to him playing out his career in England

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Victor Meldrew said:
I wouldn't want Hodges TBH.

Who knows how he'll be outside of Brisbane. He was pretty f**king terrible in Sydney.

thats crap.
people come up with these theories it wasnt just because he went to sydney - he went to the roosters - heaps of good players go to roosters and either play crap or become crap.
i.e harrison
myles
anasta (2 a degree)

Hodges would thrive in NZ - but he'll probably take an extra 100k a year compared to tate who sounds like he is definatly leaving the broncos.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
EJS said:
Tate knows how to help win the big games, that why he'll stay in Bennett's squad

He will leave - unless Broncos pay him under the table - which they are probably already profressionals at doing so.
He would have to take a 200k cut to stay at the broncos compared to his best offers.

dazza

Staff member
NZ Warrior said:
The Brent Tate Haters' Society is now open for early membership opportunities.

Come and feel the hate.

sign me up NOW mate!!!

cheers dazza

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I'm looking forward to hopefully having Tate join the ranks.

And I think most people will be happy when he starts playing fo us, atm I say most people would not be happy with any signing unless they are a New Zealand player.