What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors Chase Big Signing

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Captain Charisma said:
I'm looking forward to hopefully having Tate join the ranks.

And I think most people will be happy when he starts playing fo us, atm I say most people would not be happy with any signing unless they are a New Zealand player.

Yeah that's a fair cracker of a comment and it's what many think. I don't think it's wrong by any stretch of the mind but still...if you've got half a chance of getting someone of quality of Tate (ok, not exactly hot property I know) then give it a shot. Alot of big gun players wouldn't ever think of leaving. Many of them consider themselves as one-club players.

On the other hand, recent article about the Broncos searching like mad for a hopeful 'quick fix' halfback. The cut of the story is, they know they have a huge bunch of young guys who can play as halfbacks...etc but the Broncos feel those guys are still a year or two away from being 1st graders or what not.
Maybe that's how the Warriors are thinking?? I don't know, granted the money being laden on the table for Tate is bambozling but obviously they have something in mind.

I might get shot for this, but as CC says, if this happens and we do get him I'll be happy and I'll support the move. I do trust what the Warriors are doing so even if I have quealms with it. I think they have the right ideas.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
yep $350k sounds heaps better. He got that killer instinct/mongrel and nows how to find the tryline. I reckon they'll intially play him in the centres - give him a go and then if he hogs the ball like every one says he will chuck on the wing.

Rich102

Staff member
NZ Warrior said:
Can I interest you in a half price membership to the Jerome Ropati Haters' Society?

That's double the hate, for half the price.

Rich102

Staff member
I like the way the current Warrior team is playing - though they still have too many flat spots. But when they click - watch out!
Witt seems to be getting more feel for the standoff position, but I feel future improvement lies in the backline.
Some thoughts:
Mannering is a class centre - he is wasted in the forwards.
The team doesn't go as well with Ropati at standoff. (In fact I don't know where they will fit him in - I don't think he is big enough for a loose forward.)
Rapira is going to get better and better.
I thought McKinnon was a wrong buy - it was me that was wrong; he hates losing and that's good.
I doubted there was life after Stacey - wrong again.
The forwards are still getting sucked into hitting it up the middle - if they spin it wide they look far more dangerous. Look at what happened against Souths - the Warriors were a 20 point better team - even after the officials all had a say.
Where to now for Lance? Standoff was his best position.
But rule number 1 - play at the opponents end of the field!

Which brings me to the Brent Tate issue. It seems like an awful lot of money, and a long term commitment of money, for rather questionable gain. We need someone who can make linebreaks - not just finish off breaks. And what happens if one of the key positions has a long term injury, or one of the young fellows needs an upgrade? This is too much money in one pocket.
If it was Hodges I would be tempted. Brent Tate - no!

Just my thoughts!
Go the Warriors!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Houhora...I think I bought beer there once....is that the last set of shops before Rarawa, and where there are like the furthest north shops in NZ or something?

AliN

Live Update Team
Thierry Henry said:
Houhora...I think I bought beer there once....is that the last set of shops before Rarawa, and where there are like the furthest north shops in NZ or something?

Te Kau is the furtherest shops north TH.

Houhora as we know Jess is where the big fish grow and the people are friendly.
Miss the place.

ozbash

Referee
Rich102 said:
Not that far north Ozbash!
Taipa - but still winterless north..

good stuff, its an awesome place. welcome aboard.

houhora is withouit doubt the best place in nz to catch fish jess.
they used to have a good league team too, the houhora panthers.
thats where you'll find us when we retire...

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Rich102 said:
2 for 1! Can't be bad.
Count me in!

You'll get your secret gold rings as soon as the cheque clears.

Don't listen to Ozbash. He may be a great man, but his love interests are rather wayward (Apart from AliN of course :D ).

He is the resident JBro luva. You criticise JBro, you have to fight Ozbash. That's the deal.

Rich102

Staff member
I watched a bit of the Wigan / St Helans game yesterday. A lot of Ex warrior and NRL players in the teams. Iafeta Paliasena went well, a good offload that led to a try. Francis Meli looked sharp as did Willie Talau. Thomas Leulai went OK.
BUT low and behold there at fullback was Paul Wellens; had a great game and would be a brilliant signing. Can kick goals too.
Please, please tell me he is who we have bought.