What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors 'Close' to deal with Matai - in talks with White & Blair

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/warriors-close-steve-matai-deal-3620709

Warriors 'close' to Steve Matai deal

Many Sea Eagles and Kiwi international centre Steve Matai is close to signing a two-year deal with the Warriors.
Matai's agent Gavin Orr confirmed to ONE News league reporter Andrew Morrison that a deal has been put on the table and he is very interested.
Orr will travel to Auckland on Sunday to meet with Warriors administration, where the finer details of a two-year contract will be discussed.
Matai comes off contract with the Sea Eagles at the end of the season.
Meanwhile, Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah has confirmed the club is currently weighing up several players.
Along with Matai, the Warriors are in talks with Melbourne Storm forwards Adam Blair and Brett White to fill the void left by retiring prop Steve Price.
"They're certainly names on our list and definitely the sort of players we want at our club," Scurrah said of Blair and White.
The salary cap's been well managed and there's enough money there to recruit for the two positions we're looking at which will be front row and centre. "We'll only bring players in that we think can make a difference. We're certainly talking about some deals but it's too early to say anything."
White is on contract with the Storm until the end of 2011 while Blair's deal runs until 2012.
For either of the players to come to the Warriors, Melbourne would have to agree to an early release which could happen given the salary cap space they need to shed.

Last edited:

Martli

Coach
I think White is being talked to by a number of clubs so i'm not sure how our luck is going to go there. Personally wouldn't mind him. Not a fan of signing Matai, but if he's cheap then I don't see many other options at the moment. Blair would be fantastic but it would seem the storm are very keen to keep him.

Imagine if we did get Matai and either White or Blair, combined with Mateo and Inu this would have to be one of our biggest spend ups since we got Wiki and Price.

Im hoping its a White or Blair situation. We dont need both. And we only need Blair if hes willing to move back to prop. Wouldnt be a bad propping rotation:

Rapira
Packer
Blair / White
Matulino
Lillyman (If here)
Latimore
Royal (If here)
Poaching
Gavet

devoid

Juniors
Im hoping its a White or Blair situation. We dont need both. And we only need Blair if hes willing to move back to prop. Wouldnt be a bad propping rotation:

Rapira
Packer
Blair / White
Matulino
Lillyman (If here)
Latimore
Royal (If here)
Poaching
Gavet

Interesting proposition. Without any inside info I had always thought Lillyman would not be retained; pretty sure he was signed on overs (200+). Not sure how much cap Jess has taken, but if he is kept or not, and Lilly is not re-signed, I would've thought we were in the position to chase BOTH Blair and White - which I think we need.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
as long as he's cheap. we don't need another expensive, injury (and judiciary) prone centre.

A little more in this article. Sounds pretty 50/50

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/3875231/Warriors-close-to-Matai-deal-Manly-not-giving-up
Kiwis international Steve Matai could be close to putting pen to paper with the Warriors on a two-year deal.
But the Manly Sea Eagles aren't about to give up their man without a fight.
Sunday News reported last weekend that the Kiwis and Manly hard man, who is off contract this year, was being lined up by the Auckland-based club as a replacement for Brent Tate next year.
At the time, Matai's agent - Gavin Orr - suggested the Aucklander was interested in moving home.
''I think Steve would move home because he's still got a lot of family over there in New Zealand,'' Orr told Sunday News.
Since then, the Warriors have moved fast and it's understood a two-year deal has already been tabled to Matai.
But Manly CEO Graham Lowe said despite the Warriors' interest in the hard-hitting centre, he was optimistic a deal could be done to keep him in Sydney.
"We are working through that and I'm pretty optimistic that we will be able to keep him," Lowe told Stuff.
"But it's always difficult, particularly when the player wants to stay.
"But sometimes if you have got to let players go, you have to let them go.
"I'm optimistic in Steve's case that we will be able to keep him.
"I know (coach) Des Hasler is working pretty hard on that."

blain

Juniors
^^^^^ That would be perfect. Re-sign Matulino, we would still have plenty of dosh to up a few contracts also.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
That's what i'm thinking. If Manly want to hold on to him then the Warriors will have to offer quite a lot you'd think.

Would have to be the case, every quote coming from him so far is that he doesn't want to leave Manly, and every quote coming from the club is that they want to keep him, so you would think the Warriors would have to beat Manly's offer by a fairly big amount

Was also an article I read last year, where Matai had taken his little brother to Manly to live with him to get him out of the gang life he was getting into in Auckland, whether that will also play a part, who knows

maddest_kiwi

Juniors
Blair would be fantastic but it would seem the storm are very keen to keep him.

With regards to this:

FORMER New South Wales origin stars Ryan Hoffman and Anthony Quinn have been linked with Super League club Wigan as the Storm prepares to shed up to 10 players in a plan to get below the salary cap next season and retain the big four of Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis, Billy Slater and Cooper Cronk.
With the audit by News Ltd-appointed accountants Deloitte having dragged on for more than two months, Melbourne officials have contacted player agents to determine whether the amount their clients expect to be paid next season tallies with the contracts registered with the NRL, and believe the club will exceed the salary cap by $1.3 million if no action is taken.
Deloitte is expected to provide News Ltd with the findings of its investigation in coming days, with the report believed to include an estimated $1.5 million blowout in 2011, although doubts have been raised about the firm's understanding of the salary cap. At one stage, representative bonuses for players unlikely to earn them were reportedly added to the total breach.
Despite the discrepancy, the plan devised by non-News Ltd-aligned Storm board members Peter Maher and Gerry Ryan would enable Smith, Inglis, Slater and Cronk to stay at the club.
But another eight to 10 players may be forced to leave, and reports in England have already linked Hoffman and Quinn with a move to Wigan, which is coached by former Storm assistant Michael Maguire.
It is understood Maher and Ryan have discussed several variations of their proposal with club staff and are confident that Smith, Inglis, Slater and Cronk can be retained to form the nucleus of a new-look team in 2011.
With the NRL lifting the salary cap by $100,000 to $4.2 million next season and Smith willing to forgo his $100,000-a-year deal with Fox Sports, the figure Storm needs to cut from its wages bill has already been reduced and the plan does not factor in a $150,000 rise in the marquee player allowance.
The Storm has already lost props Aiden Tolman and Ryan Tandy to Canterbury, and five-eighth Brett Finch is also expected to leave, but the club will have to release some players before the start of next season to get within the salary cap.
A number of clubs are believed to be in a similar position and are trying to manage their rosters to accommodate recruits or players with upgraded contracts, but Melbourne's position is more severe because of the salary cap rorting that resulted in it being stripped of the 2007 and 2009 premierships and all competition points this year.
New Zealand Test prop Jeff Lima had already been granted a release before the salary cap scandal, and it is believed Hoffman, Quinn and Kiwi forwards Adam Blair and Sika Manu would also be allowed to leave if they found another club in a bid to ease the Storm's salary cap burden.
The Storm would replace them with players of lesser quality and therefore a lower value, to play alongside rookies Matt Duffie, Justin O'Neill, Gareth Widdop and Jesse Bromwich.
With players of that calibre coming through the ranks, Storm officials believe they can still field a competitive team next season if Smith, Inglis, Slater and Cronk remain to guide them.
The star quartet wants to stay in Melbourne but has had approaches from rival clubs or codes.

Found it on The Sydney Morning Herald website...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...nn-in-bid-to-keep-big-four-20100630-zmtg.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Martli

Coach
Pretty subtle wording there though i.e. "it is believed", but here's hoping there's some substance to it.

Rovelli

Bench
Matai will be getting the some/all $$$ Tate was offered. I can live with getting Matai for a reasonable price because he is a quality centre.

I'm not so sure Brett White wants to come over here - I feel he'd want to be back in NSW somewhere, in the limelight, to prolong his representative career. Also, he knocked out Pricey in Origin last year.

Blair OTOH would a great signing. He's much younger and we'd love him...we already do.

Our team could be stacked next season.

Rich102

Staff member
So far as Matai goes the best outcome I can see is that the Warriors offer him all Tate's money, Manly offer him more and keep him.
That way we can buy someone more suited and Manly use a big chunk of their cap.

I would rather we bought a younger player and coached him up....oh, sorry, forgot we don't do that.

Skinner

Coach
I'll take Steve for sure...he's only 25. Just needs a little more discipline (but only a little). Gotta love his passion.

Ya can take the boy out of Ponsonby but but ya can't etc etc

Latest posts