What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors 'Close' to deal with Matai - in talks with White & Blair

AliN

Live Update Team
Good signing imo, except for injuries? Seems he winces and holds his shoulder quite often when he makes a hard tackle or scores. Or is that part of his tactics.

Certainly has a bit of mongrel which is something we are missing at times.

Rich102

Staff member
Interesting.
Also, since the June 30 deadline is past without any announcements, I presume the hope of buying a mid-season prop or centre has gone by the boards.

Last edited:

hitman82

Bench
Looks like all bets may be off for both Blair and Matai.......

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10656128

We're still to meet with Orr tomorrow, so who knows, maybe we will still get Matai, even if at a slightly inflated price now that Manly is keen to retain him.

Without knowing his current contract, and assuming $400k from Tate leaving, I'd be comfortable with us paying up to $350k for Matai.
After a read through his stats this season, he's in the top 10 NRL centres as far as attack goes, and is no slouch in defense either. Miles ahead of Ropati and Tate, and as played just as many games thanks to a nicer injury run of late.
Tate is awesome for us when on the field but I think a creative centre like Matai would suit us far better, considering we don't have superstar halves we need outside backs who can pull a try or try assist out of nothing - Matai has this.

As for Blair, I wonder how he (and others on "modest salaries" as mentioned in that article) feel now knowing that their "mates" have been receiving $185k illegal top ups to their already huge pay packets? I certainly wouldn't be happy... definitely wouldn't want to remain in that environment. That's what I am hoping could swing him our way. A clean break, with an honest and untarnished club, alongside a return home to play with a team stacked with fellow Kiwis.

Skinner

Coach
We're still to meet with Orr tomorrow, so who knows, maybe we will still get Matai, even if at a slightly inflated price now that Manly is keen to retain him.

Without knowing his current contract, and assuming $400k from Tate leaving, I'd be comfortable with us paying up to $350k for Matai.
After a read through his stats this season, he's in the top 10 NRL centres as far as attack goes, and is no slouch in defense either. Miles ahead of Ropati and Tate, and as played just as many games thanks to a nicer injury run of late.
Tate is awesome for us when on the field but I think a creative centre like Matai would suit us far better, considering we don't have superstar halves we need outside backs who can pull a try or try assist out of nothing - Matai has this.

As for Blair, I wonder how he (and others on "modest salaries" as mentioned in that article) feel now knowing that their "mates" have been receiving $185k illegal top ups to their already huge pay packets? I certainly wouldn't be happy... definitely wouldn't want to remain in that environment. That's what I am hoping could swing him our way. A clean break, with an honest and untarnished club, alongside a return home to play with a team stacked with fellow Kiwis.

350k may be a little on the high side for me. 300k tops and keep the 50k for a junior..

The bolded bit....they are nice warm fuzzies, but nothing more. Certainly not enough for a leap. Only my opinion though :D

Martli

Coach
If we can't get Blair for next season, then maybe the season after? If he isn't on much then I doubt the Storm will be able to hang on to him when it's time to renew. Their salary cap problems will haunt them for the next few seasons, surely.

Interesting.
Also, since the June 30 deadline is past without any announcements, I presume the hope of buying a mid-season prop or centre has gone by the boards.

I thought that because of the Storm issues, that the deadline had been extended to July 7?

Martli

Coach
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/3903788/Steve-Matai-close-to-becoming-Warrior

Steve Matai close to becoming Warrior

Kiwis international Steve Matai is expected to finalise his National Rugby League (NRL) future next week, with the New Zealand Warriors firming as the destination.

The Manly Sea Eagles are struggling to retain the hard-hitting centre and apparently have until Monday to negotiate a contract to retain the popular 25-year-old.

Matai is already considering a return home to Auckland after the Warriors tabled a two-year deal - the club view him as a ready made replacement for Brent Tate.

Matai has long feared he could not be accommodated under Manly's salary cap in 2011; the Warriors are not under the same financial constraints, after Tate's move to North Queensland and his brother-in-law Steve Price's retirement.

The Warriors have already signed outside back Krisnan Inu from Parramatta but Matai is still among the Auckland club's priorities - as are Melbourne forwards Adam Blair and Brett White.

It was understood Manly coach Des Hasler was keen to retain Matai, despite a concerning injury history and chequered past at the NRL judiciary.

Matai, who debuted for the club in 2005, has admitted negotiations had been frustrating.

"Now they are just stalling and I need answers so I can sort out my future," he said.

"It's disappointing because I am apparently not a priority for them ... I can't wait until the end of the year when clubs have signed up players and have no room."

The fact it took six years for Matai to reach 100 games for the club - in round 15 against the Rabbitohs - is thought to have made Manly keen to downgrade his deal.

Matai has missed the best part of two seasons through a combination of injury and suspension, the latest setback was a three-match ban after the game against Parramatta in round 10.

"The way I play the game has led to a few injuries and a few charges from the judiciary but I try and do the best for my team and coach," he said.

Martli

Coach
That's the first I've heard a 3 year deal mentioned. All the other stuff in this thread has said 2 year. You'd think they would go for a 3 year though.

Latest posts