What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors may play every game at home in 2021.

I'm all for it. And my reasons are pretty much covered across the posts of other here.

I don't have the stats to back it up, aside from the annual Anzac clash in Melbourne, I would think that Warriors games are one of the lesser drawcards for the away gate of all the NRL teams - so the gate revenue for a season in NZ would prove a huge surplus. However I would suggest that any club who has to go to NZ twice has one of their games as a home gate for revenue purposes.

Loose Cannon

Bench
As previously mentioned, gate should go to the “home” team, all Warriors “away” games (and a couple of home games) for the early Friday game, and as many of those as possible should be allocated around NZ.

Good initiative, if above conditions are met.

Headless Chook

Juniors
I’m all good with the reciprocal support but the reality is this virus might be with us for a long long time yet. 2021 might not be any better.

nick87

Coach
100% on board with this. The sacrifices that club has made for the code, they deserve this. The rest of the league are in debt to them. This would be a fair repayment plan.

Im not worried about the gate takings either. it's at best one game per team lost, the NRL can cover the shortfall for the clubs for one year and cut the "away" teams a cheque to cover their loses. This is about thanking a organisation who has sacrificed so much.... let them get all the money they can, the NRL has come out way ahead than they were entitled to be BECAUSE of their sacrifice... giving the 12 away teams a little sugar and letting the warriors collect as much as they can is a small price to pay for that

Make it happen

_Johnsy

Referee
Even though we love giving you west island convicts as much stick whenever we can, I'm honestly pretty touched by the positive reaction to this thread.

On behalf on Warriors fans, its pretty cool to see most of you guys backing us up and trying to help us out, despite the fact that we are a shit club and you guys have been subjected to watch our braindead plays.

FWIW, thanks guys for supporting this kind gesture. You are all cool.

Except that Dragon slayer guy. f**k him
I even became a financial member this year (as thousands also did) to show my gratitude. That says a bit as I have decided not to support our club until McFraud is punted.

simmo05

Bench
Compared to what the Warriors have sacrificed the Storm‘s hardships are nothing, and if we start offering recompense to everybody that’s been inconvenienced by covid-19 then a bunch of clubs and people are going to come out requesting that their misfortunes are made right, then it’ll become hard to offer any of them a thank you for their sacrifice without either giving all of them one or it looking like the NRL is playing favourites.

For example, if we’re going to give back to the Storm for them having to move out of Vic, then why not give back the home games that the Knights and Raiders lost because they couldn’t play in their home cities, why not give back to the Sydney clubs that couldn’t play at their home grounds, why not compensate the players and officials who’ve had it tough because of the NRL’s bio-security rules, etc, etc.

The Warriors deserve something for their sacrifice, but everybody else should only get something if it’s purely symbolic.
They need to give the storms a higher salary cap

shear_joy9

Coach
I'd be on board and sympathetic of their "sacrifice" if the warriors actually competed in games. They have been nothing short of pathetic so far.

Living it up in a resort all expenses paid. They are basically on a paid vacation that only requires them to turn up once a week to jog around a field for 2 hours.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
They've sacrificed so much to be here and keep this comp alive. Its a huge reward for them.

Should their first game be at Eden Park to get a bigger a crowd, or least one home game?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
By plunder their juniors do you mean offer young men employment?
It’s hardly the west African slave trade ffs.
Well yes, but they need to start keeping the good ones.

For example we nicked Briton Nikora, not even sure how. He should be a warrior.

Australia clubs poach.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'd be on board and sympathetic of their "sacrifice" if the warriors actually competed in games. They have been nothing short of pathetic so far.

Living it up in a resort all expenses paid. They are basically on a paid vacation that only requires them to turn up once a week to jog around a field for 2 hours.

I hope this is satire. Either it is or there's a mushy grey thing inside your brain that you have no idea about the function and behaviour of.

Also at the risk of backlash I do think Storm should also be offered an extra home game or two at AAMI
You think your club has been hard done by?

Your club got to keep Smith, Slater and Cronk after the salary cap scandal.

How does a club keep 3 players of that callibre under their cap, after they've been caught cheating it for years, when most other clubs cannot even afford 1 of them?

Dogs Of War

Coach
On the revenue point, I am sure the warriors would be happy at the very least to split the gate with the AUS based team for 'away' games.

This doesn't read as if it is about money to me, more of a "you came to us all season so we will come to you next year".

I would think that the purpose is to allow NZ players to not have to travel internationally. The home team would keep all profits. The NRL can assist in underwriting games in places outside of Auckland to ensure all clubs got a minimum amount of money depending on the risk of where they are playing.

I still think that it should only be applied to teams they play once only. Would only add another 3-4 NZ games which I think is more than fair. A whole season might be a bit of an overreach.