What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors owners aim to be 'best in Australasia'

shiznit

Coach
from: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7309904/Warriors-owners-aim-to-be-best-in-Australasia

The Warriors have announced a range of initiatives they believe will make them "the best single sporting franchise in Australasia", including a new elite academy aimed at fostering young talent and a new secondary schools championship in Auckland.

Club owners Owen Glenn and Eric Watson announced the club's new direction in Auckland today.

The highlights were:

- The formation of a Warriors Charitable Trust

- A commitment to form a Warriors Elite Academy

- The upgrading of training, sports science, medical, talent identification, IT and other team support facilities

- Improved membership offers to fans outside Auckland and in Australia

- A Vodafone Warriors Championship for Auckland secondary schools First XIIIs and significant involvement in grass roots rugby league

- Increased Vodafone Warriors merchandise range and the establishment of the club's first Warriors Shop.

They were hammered out at a board meeting in Auckland last weekend.

"These initiatives we are announcing today will pave the way for an era of unprecedented growth in the club's on-field success, profile and community presence," Warriors chairman Bill Wavish said.

Watson left no doubts where the owners want to take the Warriors.

"We want this club to become the best single sporting franchise in Australasia, taking it to levels never seen before in this part of the world," he said.

"This is a conscious effort to significantly raise the bar for the Vodafone Warriors as a club and as a brand," he said.

"The Warriors Elite Academy, the Warriors Charitable Trust, the facilities and training upgrades and the other initiatives have allowed Owen and me to give tangible support to the Vodafone Warriors."

Glenn added: "These decisions highlight the confidence of the shareholders, board and management that we are on the right track in developing New Zealand and Pacific talent with the best facilities without significantly resorting to recruiting in Australia."

Wavish believes the planned Warriors Elite Academy would create unmatched education and personal development opportunities for younger players including those involved in the Junior Warriors' NYC squad.

"We've seen our juniors win the NYC premiership for the past two seasons and they're leading the competition again right now," he said.

"We've made a difference for young players coming into this sporting organisation but we can do so much better. With an elite academy, we can take this to another level in the area of formal education as well as the practical development of these young players in a football sense."

The formation of a Warriors Charitable Trust would lead to an increase in the Warriors' profile, presence and participation in the community.

"We have a responsibility to the community and while we are doing great work in this area we are committed to increasing our charitable work and community-based activities," said Wavish.

Wavish stated categorically that the club's single most important goal would always be straightforward - to win the NRL premiership. To do this he said it was paramount the Warriors' football staff and players were given all the tools needed to help them to achieve the ultimate.

"Our commitment is to invest in this area so our club leads the way," he said.

"It's about setting the highest possible standards and ensuring our players have all they need to perform to optimal levels."

Another key target area was membership. While this had grown substantially, CEO Wayne Scurrah believes the weekend's think-tank had established there was scope for exceptional improvement.

"We've just seen the results of a survey done in Australia which has established we're among the most popular teams in the NRL," he said.

"We continue to see exceptional levels of support for our club when we play away games. In fact the crowds for the games against Gold Coast and Brisbane were almost like home crowds. We also know there's a huge groundswell of support for us in New Zealand outside Auckland."

Scurrah said the development of grass roots relationships in rugby league was another priority.

"We're committed to maximising this in a range of ways, including creating a Vodafone Warriors Championship for Auckland secondary schools First XIIIs," he said.

"We have a strong partnership with the Auckland Rugby League and we've been working with them in several areas. With support from the owners and the board we're committed to making changes that would raise the bar for all players connected with the club, whether it is in the NRL, the NYC or with the Vulcans in the New South Wales Cup."

Watson believed the club's future was more exciting than ever.

"I've been involved for over a decade now but with Owen as a shareholder and new board members there is energy and drive to bring this to fruition," he said.

"Everyone involved in the Warriors and in rugby league should be more excited about the future than ever. We definitely are."

- © Fairfax NZ News

I know many will complain that this is primarily Warriors news...

but IMO its massive news for general RL fans.

The Warriors and they're owners are looking at taking RU head on in the games biggest nursery.

The intent from the owners is great to see... now hopefully the club can turn into a side like the Broncos on and off the field.

_Johnsy

Referee
Massive thumbs up to the bro's. good to see them getting serious, should be applauded.

Awesome, means more Warriors juniors for us.

You know the drill Todd.

--------

Seriously though I like the initiatives especially the elite academy and the tournament.

Great for the game in NZ, hopefully its a step towards making RL an institution in NZ like RU is(still a long way off though).

In 1994 the talk was that the Warriors would be the next Broncos. It never happened. I don't know that these things will make it so, but it's a start.

What we really need is a second club that represents the rest of NZ. The game is always going to be somewhat rooted in south Auckland so long as the Warriors are the only pro team over there.

ona2001

Juniors
Couldn't agree more. More competition and ambition within the game, especially from a new quarter, means everyone pulls their socks up. And they're well overdue to capitalise on their local market and its resources to get them a premiership.

Who you get when you put your club up for ownership's a bit of a roulette wheel, obviously..

shiznit

Coach
How about winning a title before running your mouths about being the "best club in the NRL"
for sure... they need to produce on the field... but the intentions from the owners are good to see...

i wonder with Stephen Kearney getting the boot from Parra... perhaps he could take up a role at the academy... he seemed to bring some good kids through Parra...

Dresden Dan

Juniors
Even with an academy NZ will continue to leak talented juniors until the ARL stops the Origin loophole that makes it a more attractive option to move to Australia in mid teens to qualify for Blues or Maroons.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Good news..

I'm an Aussie but i'd love to see a genuine North v South Island NZ Origin in my lifetime..

The game seems to be having a massive growth spurt over there...Long may it continue..

Izz

Bench
Even with an academy NZ will continue to leak talented juniors until the ARL stops the Origin loophole that makes it a more attractive option to move to Australia in mid teens to qualify for Blues or Maroons.
whut? kiwi kids don't move to australia in their mid-teens so they can play origin.

Juju

Juniors
Owen Glenn also started a charitable trust and donated $80 million to stamp out domestic / family violence.

I don't see Rusty doing any other projects out side of vanity music projects, so it's quite cool to see the Warriors owners take these two stands within a week.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
for sure... they need to produce on the field... but the intentions from the owners are good to see...

i wonder with Stephen Kearney getting the boot from Parra... perhaps he could take up a role at the academy... he seemed to bring some good kids through Parra...

I reckon this is a great idea. SK involved in preparing them for life as a footy player, professionalism, clean living, the pressures of the spotlight, the importance of training, the value of teamwork etc, etc.

Leave the top grades to someone else.

Dresden Dan

Juniors
whut? kiwi kids don't move to australia in their mid-teens so they can play origin.

SBW? You don't think managers & Australian NRL clubs aren't telling NZ boys & their parents that if they sign on a scholarship with a NSW or Queensland NRL team & move across they will also qualify for Origin?

Izz

Bench
SBW? You don't think managers & Australian NRL clubs aren't telling NZ boys & their parents that if they sign on a scholarship with a NSW or Queensland NRL team & move across they will also qualify for Origin?
The emphasis would be on them having a pathway to play NRL. Origin would be a footnote.

shiznit

Coach
I reckon this is a great idea. SK involved in preparing them for life as a footy player, professionalism, clean living, the pressures of the spotlight, the importance of training, the value of teamwork etc, etc.

Leave the top grades to someone else.
mate... this is all pie in the sky stuff...

but with all due respect for Bluey...

With some talk that Craig Bellamy may be looking at a new gig outside Melbourne... Bellyache would be a great coach to oversee the top grade... to bring the discipline and structure which is needed to the first grade squad.

And Kearney could be the assistant to oversee the academy...

but im sure Melbourne fans have other ideas...

like i said... all pie in the sky stuff...

Latest posts