What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors owners aim to be 'best in Australasia'

Juju

Juniors
Most overrated young squad you mean. They've gone backward. I reckon they won't make the finals this year and all those young players are a year older from when they made the grand final.

They're not as good as people think they are and those players they have that are good will get split up when it's time for them all to get paid. That's the reality of clubs with big junior bases.
Bwahahah. You said the Warriors team weren't good before the Warriors belted your numptys last year too. What was the score? where did the Warriors end up in October?

What was the score when the Warriors play

Where are the Warriors u20s placed in the comp right now?

The Jnrs conveyer belt just keeps rolling and The Warriors have had success that Souths can only dream of.

Grapple

Bench
Most overrated young squad you mean. They've gone backward. I reckon they won't make the finals this year and all those young players are a year older from when they made the grand final.

They're not as good as people think they are and those players they have that are good will get split up when it's time for them all to get paid. That's the reality of clubs with big junior bases.

I think that's more the change of coach than anything else, and they're still all pretty young regardless. I also think they've got all the talent, and are starting to hit some form.... A bit of a let down year though, considering last season.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I loved how Hurrell was saying the other day how much he wanted to play for The All Blacks back in Tonga but now likes League better. A good kid.

Only a matter of time before Union takes a back seat to League in this country, and we'll be better for it, and I think Union will be too.

Rugby rejected him, hence why he is in League.

Personally I think League should be more active in finding talented Union rejects - there is plenty of them.

Grapple

Bench
Rugby rejected him, hence why he is in League.

Personally I think League should be more active in finding talented Union rejects - there is plenty of them.

Thank God for that... and regardless of who rejected him, he likes League better.

Juju

Juniors
A whole 3 points ahead of the u20s powerhouse that is the Roosters.
And tell me who won the last two u20s comp.
Tell me who is the only club whose 20s have made the playoffs every year.

If you had a brain and actually did your research into what has been announced you would see this is actually the biggest announcement ever for NZ Rugby League.

Maybe get a bit more educated & worldly before ranting your uninformed rants.

Juju

Juniors
But bunnies man. Just remember the thing that will make the difference is the love.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I think Souths can be proud of 20 premierships and the current work of its charity "Souths Cares". Souths may not have the best record in the last few decades but Warriors have chocked quite often and no premiership in 17 years is nothing to crow about.

i like the Warriors, can't wait to see them win their 1st premiership but will defend my club against some crass & ignorant comments.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
Well, this was one of the new expansion clubs that they were very close to culling at the end of Super League and post SL rationalisation.

Good to see that the game is reaping the rewards now with the Warriors. They have had their struggles to get where they are, but it just proves the merits of new market expansion over the long term.

Perth Red

Post Whore
People seem to be mixing up "team" and "club". Warriors have the best potential to be the biggest RL club in the world. They have a whole country to promote to, in the country where they play 12 away games a year every city has 50,000+ Kiwis they can market to. Merchandise sales, away following and home memberships should be the biggest in the world by far.

They need to take at least one game a year to Wellington and Christchurch and possibly Dunedin. Sort out a Warriors in your city Kiwi away membership pack and push for an eventual Wellington NRL club to join them and really drive the game forward in that country.

After the debacle of the NZRL in the 2000's it is great to see the game at a professional and NZRL level getting it together.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Why did they reject him - because he couldn't kick penalty goals or because he couldn't pause hold touch engage?

Nah he was a running centre at Grammar.

Just wasn't deemed to be good enough.

Rugby Union standards in NZ are ridiculously high. Which is good for the Warriors, lately they have been sniffing around the Auckland Union Schoolboys comps and signing up those who union do not want. They got a great winger from King's last year. The King's centre would have been better - but Union want him.

BunniesMan

Immortal
And tell me who won the last two u20s comp.
Tell me who is the only club whose 20s have made the playoffs every year.

If you had a brain and actually did your research into what has been announced you would see this is actually the biggest announcement ever for NZ Rugby League.

Maybe get a bit more educated & worldly before ranting your uninformed rants.
Yeh and all those juniors have added upto 0 premierships in heading towards 20 years of existing.

They're further away from a premiership than they were 12 months ago.

The importance of a huge junior nursery for a clubs on field success is incredibly exaggerated. Look at Manly and Melbourne's recent success compared to Penrith and Parra.

Penrith, Parra and New Zealand have no premierships in the last 9 years and a combined 1 in the last 20 years.

My problem isn't with clubs trying to build a culture of success and consistency. That's what we're trying to do now at Souths. My problem is when clubs stupidly say things like they're aiming to become superpowers when that just isn't possible in a comp with both a strict salary cap and pure free agency.

The reason we have a cap is to stop exactly what they say they're trying to do. It can't and won't happen.

They'll spend money on an academy which is great, it really is. But a lot of those players will be tearing it up in Redfern and Townsville and Melbourne rather than Auckland.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My problem isn't with clubs trying to build a culture of success and consistency. That's what we're trying to do now at Souths. My problem is when clubs stupidly say things like they're aiming to become superpowers when that just isn't possible in a comp with both a strict salary cap and pure free agency.

The reason we have a cap is to stop exactly what they say they're trying to do. It can't and won't happen.

They want to be a superclub, not a superteam! Big difference. Our salary cap artifically creates equality on the field, off the field they could become the biggest RL club in the world, that is their aim. With being a superclub comes consistent on field playooffs and occasional premierships. see Broncos for example.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

They'll spend money on an academy which is great, it really is. But a lot of those players will be tearing it up in Redfern and Townsville and Melbourne rather than Auckland.

True, but hopefully these players remain eligible for the Kiwis and don't do a Tamou. If so, that will keep Owen Glenn relatively happy.

The funniest thing about Owen Glenn, is that he is a self-confessed Unionite. The man is truly philanthropic.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/7287906/Warriors-co-owner-cold-on-signing-Sonny-Bill

''I enjoy the sport[rugby league],'' he said. ''But I'm a rugby union man, all my life.''

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee
I don't think there's any misunderstanding bunniesderp that players that go through the academy will end up elsewhere. From the various 20s squads, Likiliki, Seluini and initially Steve Rapira are some of the blokes that have played elsewhere. Probably will lose Omar Slaimankhel as well. Point is you can't keep them all. But, you can attract more into rugby league through high schools, you can improve the player welfare opportunities to entice the premier teenage football talent (either code), and you don't have to go to the likes of Keebra to do that. Of course they won't keep them all. But if the three blokes I named above turn out to be 20 blokes, then it would suggest to me there was a higher quality of junior talent to pick from in the first place, and therefore a success.

To me, all today suggested is two extremely wealthy gentlemen commited an inordinate amount of finances into rugby league and the community. The Warriors will be the biggest recipients of that, of course through the cap other clubs will get some benefit too, where in the heck is the issue with that? Its a win win, great news story. Its better to have this vision in place, and a commitment financially to make it work. Honestly, what type of moron could perceive any downside in this, whatsoever?

Latest posts