What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors owners aim to be 'best in Australasia'

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I don't think there's any misunderstanding bunniesderp that players that go through the academy will end up elsewhere. From the various 20s squads, Likiliki, Seluini and initially Steve Rapira are some of the blokes that have played elsewhere. Probably will lose Omar Slaimankhel as well. Point is you can't keep them all. But, you can attract more into rugby league through high schools, you can improve the player welfare opportunities to entice the premier teenage football talent (either code), and you don't have to go to the likes of Keebra to do that. Of course they won't keep them all. But if the three blokes I named above turn out to be 20 blokes, then it would suggest to me there was a higher quality of junior talent to pick from in the first place, and therefore a success.

The way the prestigious union schools recruit, you really reckon it is possible to attract the identified talent to commit to rugby league high schools, let alone stay there? I don't think so.

I think as far as NZ is concerned, League will have to get used to only getting the leftovers and overlooked. Which, in the case of Hurrell and co, is still very good. Either way, it decreases the Aussie exodus for League kids, committed to League.

Iafeta

Referee
Anti, this can only continue to improve things. When I was in high school back in NZ, it wasn't until I moved to the West Coast that I had actually been to a high school that had rugby league. It was freakin union everywhere, it was pathetic. Attitudes take a long time to change, but from what I've seen when I've returned, there has been somewhat of a change. Now is the time for a serious jab to the arm to really drive this further. If the Warriors are going to contribute funds to the high school game, if there is a better professional pathway through the U20s competition, and they continue to grow the player welfare and educatoin side of things, yes, I think there will be a natural effect.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
The way the prestigious union schools recruit, you really reckon it is possible to attract the identified talent to commit to rugby league high schools, let alone stay there? I don't think so.

I think as far as NZ is concerned, League will have to get used to only getting the leftovers and overlooked. Which, in the case of Hurrell and co, is still very good. Either way, it decreases the Aussie exodus for League kids, committed to League.
That's fine because the left over quiet often end being as good and in some cases better than the so called cream of the crop. You only need to look at top draft picks in the various sports around the world. Thee will also be playersthvat will be more suited to league or union as well. So plenty of talent to share I,m sure

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Anti, this can only continue to improve things. When I was in high school back in NZ, it wasn't until I moved to the West Coast that I had actually been to a high school that had rugby league. It was freakin union everywhere, it was pathetic. Attitudes take a long time to change, but from what I've seen when I've returned, there has been somewhat of a change. Now is the time for a serious jab to the arm to really drive this further. If the Warriors are going to contribute funds to the high school game, if there is a better professional pathway through the U20s competition, and they continue to grow the player welfare and educatoin side of things, yes, I think there will be a natural effect.

Oh it will improve things in that it may reduce the numbers moving to Aussie so young, the SBW's and Marshall's, but I am just trying to keep readers grounded that even with Owen Glenn, NZ'ers still know which dog is boss.

Australia has the same problem, albeit at a much smaller level. Tim Horan and Jason Little were originally Leaguies before, what I can only assume were prestigious, schools had their way. It is my understanding that Australia may actually have prestigious League schools. NZ does not. No offence intended to St Pauls, but it is not even on the radar if you know what I mean. It is at best, the poor and unknown cousin of Sacred Heart.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
That's fine because the left over quiet often end being as good and in some cases better than the so called cream of the crop. You only need to look at top draft picks in the various sports around the world. Thee will also be playersthvat will be more suited to league or union as well. So plenty of talent to share I,m sure

Absolutely!!$#^*%#$)(+@#()&^*(#$)(*#$_$#

That is what I repeatedly keep saying that the Warriors should do more of. Heck, tis alright for the Storm to do it.

They will never get the Dan Carter's or Rupenini's because that level of talent is undeniable at a young age, but they may find another Manu, Hurrell or Matulino.

It beats these Union kids trying to find a way to Europe or Japan as no names without Southern Hemisphere development coaching to attempt to be greats and trying to earn a living...

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
To me, all today suggested is two extremely wealthy gentlemen commited an inordinate amount of finances into rugby league and the community. The Warriors will be the biggest recipients of that, of course through the cap other clubs will get some benefit too, where in the heck is the issue with that? Its a win win, great news story. Its better to have this vision in place, and a commitment financially to make it work. Honestly, what type of moron could perceive any downside in this, whatsoever?
I didn't say what they were doing was a bad thing in terms of the money they say they'll pour in. That stuff is great. What I don't like is people making promises they can't keep.

I bet they don't make the top 4 more than 2 times between now and 2020. The over/under on the amount of premierships they'll win between now and then would be 0.5.

Money for juniors is great, but the club won't become what these owners think it will become because it is simply impossible.

BranVan3000

Coach
Owen Glenn also started a charitable trust and donated $80 million to stamp out domestic / family violence.

I don't see Rusty doing any other projects out side of vanity music projects, so it's quite cool to see the Warriors owners take these two stands within a week.
How do the Rabbitohs or Crowe have anything to do with this thread?

And for the record, Rusty started the Souths Cares Trust to help disadvantaged youth years ago. At least educate yourself before making ignorant statements

Dragon_psa

First Grade
I think Souths can be proud of 20 premierships and the current work of its charity "Souths Cares". Souths may not have the best record in the last few decades but Warriors have chocked quite often and no premiership in 17 years is nothing to crow about.

i like the Warriors, can't wait to see them win their 1st premiership but will defend my club against some crass & ignorant comments.

As opposed to lol@50uff$ consistently "chocking" (sic) since 1972?

The Warriors have made 2 GF's and a fair few finals series in that time, and imho are taking a positive step in the right direction. A premiership is not too far off for them.

BunniesMan

Immortal
As opposed to lol@50uff$ consistently "chocking" (sic) since 1972?

The Warriors have made 2 GF's and a fair few finals series in that time, and imho are taking a positive step in the right direction. A premiership is not too far off for them.
How is Souths relevant to this? Bringing up a random unrelated club and dissing it is the last weapon of the beaten fool. Souths aren't the ones going on about becoming the biggest thing in Australasia.

And going in the "right direction"? Grand final in 2011, good chance of missing the 8 in 2012. Great direction.

user_nat

Coach
Warriors owners want stadium overhaul
Watson also outlined a long-term vision of a sports facility for the Warriors housing a 40,000 to 60,000-capacity stadium with impressive gym facilities, a smaller ground to host a semi-professional New Zealand competition and a rugby league museum.

He says the obvious place for this was the Warriors' current home of Mt Smart Stadium, a council-owned property badly in need of an upgrade.

"Mt Smart has had no investment for a long time. It's an embarrassment and it needs to be fixed," Watson said.

"But 90 per cent of our customers we have surveyed want Mt Smart to stay as the home of rugby league."

Watson said he's hopeful Auckland Council will back the plan, which he thinks will be self-funding in the long term.

Glenn agreed with the idea, which he thought could be done for an initial $NZ25 million ($A19.45 million) investment and a subsequent $NZ200 million ($A155.60 million).

"It should be as quickly as possible converted to a 30,000 stadium, with a seven or eight-year commitment to a 60,000 stadium, and all the adjacent facilities we are talking about should be planned immediately.
I really can't see why they need or even want a 60,000 seat stadium. Seems like it would never be used to potential.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
How is Souths relevant to this? Bringing up a random unrelated club and dissing it is the last weapon of the beaten fool. Souths aren't the ones going on about becoming the biggest thing in Australasia.

And going in the "right direction"? Grand final in 2011, good chance of missing the 8 in 2012. Great direction.

You really are a short sighted idiot.

They're a very inexperienced team, and that inexperience has cost them games that last year they probably wouldv'e won (Sharks, Tigers, Broncos). Add to that, the old heads are the ones that have suffered injuries. Ropati, Rapira, Lillyman, Luck, Friend have all spent large chunks of the season on the sidelines.

The NYC has only in its 5th season and already 10 of the 17 who took the field last week have come through the NYC. With a new coach after 6 years of Cleary it was always going to be a bumpy transitional year even if fans had hopes of it being smooth sailing after the 2011 GF.

Maybe if you watched the games with any knowledge of league you might be able to see where inexperience has cost the Warriors this year rather than a lack of talent, but instead you take what is a very positive announcement and once again hijack a thread with your ignorant posts.

Dragon_psa

First Grade

It became relevant when you and other lol@50uff$ fans started taking the piss out of what was a positive announcement. You lot are the last club that should be carrying on about other clubs "chocking", or berating them for perceived lack of achievement.

Juju

Juniors
. Souths aren't the ones going on about becoming the biggest thing in Australasia.

Idiot. I've heard you a lot grander statements from Souths management & fans - (you especially).
Your criticisms are a bit rich from a supporter who can't be bother going to games of a club that can barely make it to the playoffs.

I don't think there's any misunderstanding bunniesderp that players that go through the academy will end up elsewhere. From the various 20s squads, Likiliki, Seluini and initially Steve Rapira are some of the blokes that have played elsewhere. Probably will lose Omar Slaimankhel as well. Point is you can't keep them all. But, you can attract more into rugby league through high schools, you can improve the player welfare opportunities to entice the premier teenage football talent (either code), and you don't have to go to the likes of Keebra to do that. Of course they won't keep them all. But if the three blokes I named above turn out to be 20 blokes, then it would suggest to me there was a higher quality of junior talent to pick from in the first place, and therefore a success.

To me, all today suggested is two extremely wealthy gentlemen commited an inordinate amount of finances into rugby league and the community. The Warriors will be the biggest recipients of that, of course through the cap other clubs will get some benefit too, where in the heck is the issue with that? Its a win win, great news story. Its better to have this vision in place, and a commitment financially to make it work. Honestly, what type of moron could perceive any downside in this, whatsoever?

Great post Iafeta totally agree.

Iafeta

Referee
I didn't say what they were doing was a bad thing in terms of the money they say they'll pour in. That stuff is great. What I don't like is people making promises they can't keep.

They're not making promises. They're espousing an ambitious vision. FTR, what possible promises has Eric Watson made in respect to the Warriors or NZRL since he began his association with them that he hasn't kept?

I bet they don't make the top 4 more than 2 times between now and 2020. The over/under on the amount of premierships they'll win between now and then would be 0.5.

So what would be your vision to get them a better shot? Surely to heck improving the quality of player per dollar spent coming into the squad is going to give you the best possible chance, yes? Would you rather the Warriors hit the player market looking for that premiership? How well has that worked for them? Lets be honest here, who aside from Campion, Marsh, Price, Alexander and Tate were elite Australian signings (although Marsh was more a development) who made a real difference? They pay massive overs to get blokes over there, so why not focus on improving what you can mould?

I'd really like to see your vision bunniesderp, this appears the only logical way to make it happen. Play to your strengths, minimise your weaknesses.

Money for juniors is great, but the club won't become what these owners think it will become because it is simply impossible.

Hows it impossible? Just because something may not have been done before does not make it impossible. Holy smokes, look around the world. 50 years no bloke had stepped foot on the moon. 10-15 years ago the current EPL champs were in what, Division 3? Of course its possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's not impossible at all, Broncos spend more than any team on off field stuff and have made the playoffs more than any other team. Coincidence?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Oh please Souths fan, strike me with your wisdom about how a club can go about making the top eight and win premierships!!

I think we can all agree we have the nursery over here. All we need to do is identify the best of them, mould a squad of 25 of them and make it work. I'm not fussed what the make-up of our side but absolutely it could get to a point where we are able to field an all-NZ qualified side.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It's not impossible at all, Broncos spend more than any team on off field stuff and have made the playoffs more than any other team. Coincidence?
Finals appearances don't make super power teams. They make good teams. That's what I said is the maximum any club can achieve. Superpower team win premierships consistently and even Brisbane has won just 1 since 2000.
Oh please Souths fan, strike me with your wisdom about how a club can go about making the top eight and win premierships!!

I think we can all agree we have the nursery over here. All we need to do is identify the best of them, mould a squad of 25 of them and make it work. I'm not fussed what the make-up of our side but absolutely it could get to a point where we are able to field an all-NZ qualified side.
And half of that squad will play their 2nd contract at another club. There just isn't the capspace to build these super teams Kearney, Gould and now Watson are dreaming of.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Would love to see a Super 8 league comp established, these schools compete in 8 or 9 other sports already so its just a case of getting it up and running. So muh hidden talent to be unearthed in the Super 8 schools since they all cant play 1st XV. Just hope they dont get ignored because they arent in Auckland

Latest posts