What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors set to return to Mt Smart.

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors will return to Mt Smart Stadium during their 2021 NRL campaign after all, taking on the Canterbury Bulldogs at the Auckland stadium in August.

The match will be the first and only game the club will play at their home venue this season, and will double as a send off for departing captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, who will join the Blues in Super Rugby next year.

When they run out at Mt Smart Stadium on August 15, it will end a 716-day drought between matches on home soil, with the team having spent the last two seasons playing in Australia due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Warriors chief executive Cameron George said the occasion would reward not only the club's NRL players, staff and sponsors but especially the legion of long-suffering families, members and fans.

"This is going to be one of the biggest and certainly most emotional days in our great club's history," he said.

"We are all so excited knowing we are finally set to see the Vodafone Warriors, sponsors, families, members and fans coming together for a game day like no other on August 15.

"There's no doubt these will be the hottest tickets in town. What we want now is to see Mount Smart Stadium packed to the rafters to support the team and to farewell Roger.

"The club as a whole has made huge sacrifices to keep the competition going during the Covid-19 pandemic but it's our families, members and fans back home in New Zealand who have suffered the most through not being able to connect with their team. Their continued support and patience has been incredible.

"Our special thanks go to the NRL for providing ongoing support. We can't say enough about what they've done for us over the last two seasons."

Benek

Juniors
Interesting.

I wonder if this counts for season ticket holders.
I’m wondering the same. Never got refunded for season tickets yet for this lost season.

But from what I’ve heard tickets for this game go on sale for members this week, which makes me think its a separate ticket and members just get first dibs.

Blair

Coach
Good news, welcome home.

Shall I go? Let me think. I've never seen the Warriors in NZ, but this one-off game might be a bit full-on. I'll wait till next year.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Yes season ticket holders are covered, I got my tickets emailed to me yesterday. We can also buy extra tickets before they go on general sale.

Benek

Juniors
After the members pre-sale ended today, tickets are now on sale to the public. Buy em. Let's pack it out and make it loud.

sup42

Juniors
I am happy we look to have pulled off a surprising home trip in the time of Covid.

Now all we need is for Covid to come to the party...ah yeah sometimes these little sayings are all wrong...context...its about context.

I hear it is almost completely sold out...and so it will be a complete sold out event.

Fingers and toes crossed the bubble is open.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I hope the club gives an update soon on whether this is still on track. I can't work out if it's dead in the water or if the move to Queensland makes it more likely to be able to happen.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah I think that was inevitable with the escalating situation here. Bit of a kick in the guts but it’ll make the start of 2022 even more special. The NRL should ensure we get round 1 at home

Penrose_11

Juniors
Dare i say it, but the rate things are going, we’ll probably be playing out of the Central Coast again next season.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
2022 the Warriors need to play every game in NZ. Repay them for their sacrifice the last 2 years.

I like the sentiment but I'd rather see the "payback games" spread over a few seasons. Spread them over 3 or 4 years and play them at regional venues around NZ.

I like the sentiment but I'd rather see the "payback games" spread over a few seasons. Spread them over 3 or 4 years and play them at regional venues around NZ.
If we are winning crowds show up, I can imagine some empty stadiums if we are performing as we have the last 2years.

Latest posts