What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was it true?

Fairfax

Juniors
edited for accuracy.

I don't dispute the circumstances. but don't refer to it as 'well documented' when it's clearly laden in opinion and bias.

To be fair, which points are you disputing?

Souths got a lot of Easts clubs... FACT
Souths refused to return said clubs... FACT

macnaz

Staff member
Roosters say it doesn't matter, but it does matter. If Roosters gave a crap about junior development they would be going into overdrive right now getting kids in the Eastern suburbs signing up to junior footy. Instead they don't really care and the Eastern Suburbs is being donated by soccer and AFL coming in

Not only that their Leagues Club CEO has been pushing to build clubs in the western suburbs.. prick wants to even steal other teams punters :(

ek999

First Grade
lol... "7th worst"... i.e about middle of the pack.

That's excluding another three players who debuted elsewhere, where other clubs were responsible for their development into first graders but Knights fans want to claim them because they grew up in the area. Even one who was a Hunter Mariners junior

Valheru

Coach
I can tell you Mancs do, certain fans of English Premier League teams even get antsy about any fan that's not a "true" local and consider them to be "plastic" fans. (i.e. don't expect to be "embraced" by Scousers when you visit the Kop just because you grew up supporting Liverpool)

That’s the fans, not the players. As if any supporter of any premier league club, NFL club, NBA club etc. gives a crap about whether their players are from the local area. I am sure that if they have one or two it is a point of pride no one holds any real emphasis on it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Follwoing on from my previous post, here is a quick list of the teams and the number of players who debuted elsewhere. Numbers may not be 100% accurate but it is a good guide:

Broncos 6 (28 used) 21%
Raiders 11 (30) 37%
Bulldogs 15 (27) 56%
Cronulla 18 (29) 62%
Gold Coast 15 (30) 50%
Manly 10 (28) 36%
Melbourne 10 (28) 36%
Newcastle 15 (29) 52%
Cowboys 15 (30) 50%
Parramatta 7 (31) 23%
Penrith 18 (30) 60%
Dragons 11 (30) 37%
Souths 10 (27) 37%
Roosters 9 (25) 36%
Warriors 7 (28) 25%
Tigers 10 (34) 29&

Broncos, Parra, Warriors, Tigers are the best at debuting players. Cronulla, Penrith, Bulldogs and Newcastle are the worst

it's not a good guide at all when people are talking about juniors

fail

betcats

Referee
That?s the fans, not the players. As if any supporter of any premier league club, NFL club, NBA club etc. gives a crap about whether their players are from the local area. I am sure that if they have one or two it is a point of pride no one holds any real emphasis on it.

Generally you are probably right, but there are some exceptions.

Ask a local Chicago Bulls fan about Derrick Rose for example.

papabear

Juniors
It doesnt matter in terms of on field success.

Teams should be trying to put the best 17 on the park regardless of where they are from.

But in terms of fans and community engagement it matters hugely.

Is it any wonder that easts and manly have the least amount of fans when they have the least viable junior leagues. Even Freddy has been trying to get easts juniors going again... why on earth has the club dropped the ball in this area for so long.

That said they deserve a big congrats on the comp win.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It's about giving to the game.

Doesn't matter too much IMO if you sign players from other clubs. At some point, all clubs need to do it. But I think it's fair that for every player you sign, you should be producing one.

Also, a premiership would mean more to me if it would filled with players Parra have developed, rather then just signed. Near impossible these days.

perverse

Referee
That's excluding another three players who debuted elsewhere, where other clubs were responsible for their development into first graders but Knights fans want to claim them because they grew up in the area. Even one who was a Hunter Mariners junior
I just feel a bit for you that you give a shit about where a player makes their debut, rather than where their heart is. It's not relevant to Knights fans, we're happy with our roster and our local representation in it.

The Knights also have a pretty happy and proud history of adopting players from elsewhere as their own. Mad Dog and Robbie O spring immediately to mind. They're both as Newcastle as it gets and we happily identify them as fellow Novocastrians regardless of where they debuted.

firechild

First Grade
manly have the least amount of fans

Are you basing that on anything other than your opinion as a whiney Norffs fan? Memberships and crowd figures suggest this is not the case. Would you be willing to share any actual facts to support your claim?

Skreepe

Juniors
Does the Souff Sydney FOOTBALL club actually fund the junior clubs in the area?

If anything, they are taking away from local juniors as they are propped up by Souffs leagues.

Lol@Souffs

Joker's Wild

Coach
Its 2013.

Who gives a shit a bout local juniors in senior team any more?

As an out of town supporter of the Knights, I dont give a rats where they come from

However, I know that a fair chunk of my fellow supporters do and it is a huge part of the support culture of the club. Thats not a judgement on other clubs like the Roosters though, its just how it is at the Knights

Canard

Immortal

That?s the fans, not the players. As if any supporter of any premier league club, NFL club, NBA club etc. gives a crap about whether their players are from the local area. I am sure that if they have one or two it is a point of pride no one holds any real emphasis on it.

Thats true in relation to those respective teams "international" fan bases, but I can tell you living in UK for four years, it does mean a lot to the "traditional" fan base, it even means a lot to New Yorkers to have a "local" play for the Knicks etc.

I certainly agree that its not the be all, however. And Im not having a go at the Roosters either, they played within the rules (as far as I know) and were the best team of 2013. Job Well Done.

perverse

Referee
As an out of town supporter of the Knights, I dont give a rats where they come from

However, I know that a fair chunk of my fellow supporters do and it is a huge part of the support culture of the club. Thats not a judgement on other clubs like the Roosters though, its just how it is at the Knights
We need not explain ourselves mate. The Hunter area has produced many of the best players to ever lace a boot, and the Knights directly produced arguably the greatest of them all.

We've got f**k all to apologise for, the rest of you arseholes should be thanking our shallow gene pool and kissing our arses.

The Great Dane

First Grade
From time to time every club has to poach talent to field competitive teams and some a hell of a lot more then others, that's just a sad fact of life that's not worth worrying about.

What does piss me off is that clubs like the Raiders who do the expensive and hard work of developing their own talent have everything stacked against them in keeping the talent that they want to keep and then on top of that get the extra kick in the guts of not getting any compensation from the clubs that do poach their talent.

That's the problem that needs to be addressed by the NRL, not the poaching it's self.

It's funny that a Dragons fan was the one to bring this up considering that the Dragons are almost a Raiders B team.

The Great Dane

First Grade
We need not explain ourselves mate. The Hunter area has produced many of the best players to ever lace a boot, and the Knights directly produced arguably the greatest of them all.

We've got f**k all to apologise for, the rest of you arseholes should be thanking our shallow gene pool and kissing our arses.

Junee isn't in the Hunter :D.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Everyone in Jubliee Ave constantly pining for JMoz to "come home", for one.

Thats because he's a rad player.

No one would care if he played like Braith Anasta.

The NRL should be responsible for junior development like they AFL are in their game.

Its not fair on clubs who spend money on development in this day and age.

Latest posts