What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was it true?

Prometheus

Juniors
That is totally the opposite of how everybody I know sees it. Tribalism is based on local patriotism and pride in the skilled players that your region produces, not pride in how good your CEO is at whipping out his cheque-book.

macavity

Referee
it's a national club competition in the professional full-time era FFS. it's about head hunting and securing the services of the best players available and bringing them together within an organisation to achieve the same objective. no different to any other workplace.

we already have representative football at provincial, state & national level.

yeah no, sorry. It is about developing your own. At least it is to clubs with soul.

Silly us, it is the chequebook clubs that win it all the time.

Dragons01

First Grade
I think the NRL needs to look at some type of compensation for clubs that put both time & money into bringing through juniors. Why should some clubs have that added expense for other clubs to benefit?

adamkungl

Immortal
yeah no, sorry. It is about developing your own. At least it is to clubs with soul.

lol your club sold itself to a bloke who wanted a new plaything. Soul.

Headless Chook

Juniors
I have supported the Roosters/Easts since 1973. I didn't grow up in the Eastern Suburbs. I have no connection to the area and couldn't care less where players grew up.

The issue of areas' geographical boundaries in an interesting one. Ever since the Roosters base was decimated and handed to Souths we've struggled to produce local talent. Sadly not too many future stars are going to come from the CBD or Kings Cross!

Compare the Roosters breeding ground to the size of Brisbane's (or NZ where the Warriors can pick and choose from the whole country) and you'll see why this tired argument is ridiculous. It's 2013 not 1913, get used to it and please, please just get over it.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Dragons have tried for years to build a team from our strong junior bases, though we've always seasoned that with imports, usually journeymen or reserve graders from souffs. It's telling that at the start of 2009, we opened the check book for the first time in a long time to bring in Darius Boyd, Neville Costigan, Jeremy Smith, Luke Priddis (all rep players), Michael Weyman, and Jarrod Saffy. We'd also picked up Nathan Fien mid season in 08, Beau Scott at the start of 08, and Jamie Soward mid season in 07. So although we had plenty if locals in our GF team (Morris, Nightingale, Cooper, Gasnier, Hornby, Young, Creagh, Prior, Merrin), it required some astute purchases of outsiders to build a team capable of winning a Premiership.

The Roosters and Manly have to do the astute purchasing at a junior level as well, because they don't have massive junior bases that clubs like us, souffs (half stolen from the Roosters), Parra, Penrith, Caberra, the Warriors, or the donkeys.

Frankly, I can't see the issue, aside from being a basis for shit-stirring.

I should also point out that after a shit couple of seasons we've opened the check book again for next year.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
That is totally the opposite of how everybody I know sees it. Tribalism is based on local patriotism and pride in the skilled players that your region produces, not pride in how good your CEO is at whipping out his cheque-book.

you mean, all the Saints fans you know who merged with the Illawarra to have first access to those players.

Soul? No club has this mythical 'soul'. All clubs are organisations consisting of people from all backgrounds and areas who come together to achieve the same objective.

All clubs are run by paying their staff for their services.

I think the NRL needs to look at some type of compensation for clubs that put both time & money into bringing through juniors. Why should some clubs have that added expense for other clubs to benefit?

they do get compensated. they get the first opportunity to recognise and secure the talent in their junior zones. If raiders identify and offer them opportunities elsewhere, then perhaps their pride will keep them from leaving...........:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Dragons01

First Grade
you mean, all the Saints fans you know who merged with the Illawarra to have first access to those players.

Soul? No club has this mythical 'soul'. All clubs are organisations consisting of people from all backgrounds and areas who come together to achieve the same objective.

All clubs are run by paying their staff for their services.

they do get compensated. they get the first opportunity to recognise and secure the talent in their junior zones. If raiders identify and offer them opportunities elsewhere, then perhaps their pride will keep them from leaving...........:sarcasm:

With the salary cap no club can keep all their local juniors and have money to buy some talent as well. How is that compensation when you can't keep them?
You are missing the point, it costs a lot of money for clubs to bring juniors through, money that most Sydney clubs are fighting and struggling for.

As for pride that will only go so far, the might of the dollar is very powerful for all of us, especially if you have one or two players ahead of you in first grade.

TheDalek079

Bench
maybe if we got a club kicked out to steal their junior clubs, then got half another team's junior clubs then our lack of juniors would be a problem

thommo4pm

Coach
Dragons have tried for years to build a team from our strong junior bases, though we've always seasoned that with imports, usually journeymen or reserve graders from souffs. It's telling that at the start of 2009, we opened the check book for the first time in a long time to bring in Darius Boyd, Neville Costigan, Jeremy Smith, Luke Priddis (all rep players), Michael Weyman, and Jarrod Saffy. We'd also picked up Nathan Fien mid season in 08, Beau Scott at the start of 08, and Jamie Soward mid season in 07. So although we had plenty if locals in our GF team (Morris, Nightingale, Cooper, Gasnier, Hornby, Young, Creagh, Prior, Merrin), it required some astute purchases of outsiders to build a team capable of winning a Premiership.

The Roosters and Manly have to do the astute purchasing at a junior level as well, because they don't have massive junior bases that clubs like us, souffs (half stolen from the Roosters), Parra, Penrith, Caberra, the Warriors, or the donkeys.

Frankly, I can't see the issue, aside from being a basis for shit-stirring.

I should also point out that after a shit couple of seasons we've opened the check book again for next year.

Jason your dates with a lot of the players you mentioned joining us are wrong.

Haffa

As a fellow Knights fan, I must say that's the dumbest thing I've ever read. Developing your own at what age? Blokes like Cordner are more rooster then they are knights. They started first grade with them Ffs. I wish we were half as good at talent identification as the roosters are.

Prometheus

Juniors

No, I'm from the Illawarra. Most of the Dragons fans I know were (like myself) Steelers fans before the joint venture. We've always been proud of the talent we produce down here and our passion for our team stems from that.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Jason your dates with a lot of the players you mentioned joining us are wrong.

Let me try again:

Beau Scott - 2007
Jamie Soward - 2007 (mid season)
Jon Green - 2008 (played in the PF)
Jarrod Saffy - 2008
Michael Weyman - 2009
Neville Costigan - 2009
Jeremy Smith - 2009
Darius Boyd - 2009
Luke Priddis - 2009 (covered for Fien most of the 2010 season)
Nick Emmett - 2009
Nathan Fien - 2009 (mid season)
Michael Greenfield - 2010

Chucked Green, Emmett, and Greenfield in for good measure, as they all had a part to play during 2010 even if they didn't play in the GF.

Fairfax

Juniors
I had a bit to do with St George and they did nothing at all for their junior clubs. It may have changed now. Guys like Dean Whare and Matt Mundine weren't developed and left. The hard work and cost of developing juniors is done by volunteers at junior level in this case, nothing to do with the senior club who reaped the benefits without doing the work.

Lambretta

First Grade
Of course it does. How can anybody be proud of their local team if there aren't any locals in it?

I figure that he meant juniors as players who were born or raised in the eastern suburbs and played as kids for the local teams.

Yeah, but I didn't realise the extent of it.

There are four junior clubs in the Eastern Suburbs - FOUR

We used to have far more - about ten or twelve or so, but they either folded, were given to Souths as part of boundary changes or chose to join Souths as Souths juniors pays for all the registrations and provides funding etc to their junior teams.

Coogee, Kensington & Randwick have all produced juniors that play NRL football, but all these areas clubs are considered part of "South Sydney" even though they're in the heart of the Eastern Suburbs.

Imagine Woollongong teams being drafted into Cronulla's area and being called part of the Sutherland Shire and then people telling you that St George doesn't create juniors. I wonder how you'd feel?

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade

So the size of your soul relates to the size of your working class population?

To suggest that the Roosters don't develop their own players is about the most laughable thing I hear on these forums.

Go through the Roosters squad and name the players that have played for other NRL teams

Then go through the squads of every other NRL team and do the same.

The Roosters have fewer players that have played elsewhere than most. The Warriors have fewer from memory. The Knights certainly don't.

Do you want us to start up a collection for a stepladder for you?

Fairfax

Juniors
Given by whom?

For those who came in late...

In the 1950s the demographics of South Sydney had changed and was heavily industrial. The Rabbits appealed to the NSWRL which was run by Souths stalwart SG Ball and they sheared off the southern end of Easts.junior area and gave it to Souths.

Fast forward to the 70s when the Rooster junior comp was struggling.They applied for the return of their clubs but were turned down by Souths head honcho Terry Parker.

This tale is well documented here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Roosters_Juniors

Latest posts