What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was that the greatest Grand Final ever?

Greatest Grand Final ever?

• Total voters

BranVan3000

Coach
I know you were emotionally invested, but last year was a shithouse game.

Hard to detach myself and see it from a neutrals perspective. But it was a very tight game up until the 70th minute before Souths blew them away, which made it better because the game was in the balance for so long. Throw in a Herculean Sam Burgess's performance with his broken cheekbone and it was a hell of a game.

The Prelim was a better game in 2014 but the GF was still very memorable.

Can't argue it objectively beats what I just saw though from the Cowboys

HowHigh

Coach
I don't think it was the greatest but it was good quality footy for most of it and the fact it stayed close the whole game and obviously the way it finished I'd rate it as one of the best I've seen.

yobbo84

Coach
The field goal finish - meh. The flick pass out of nowhere to tie the game on the bell - absolutely epic.

Great finish to an OK game.

alien

Referee
it will definitely go down as one of the most memorable grand finals, with the way it ended. i'm happy for JT, and i'm glad the broncos didn't win it. i'm happy for north queensland winning their first premiership after 20 years. how nervous did JT look taking that conversion at the end there, lol

alien

Referee
The field goal finish - meh. The flick pass out of nowhere to tie the game on the bell - absolutely epic.

i kinda know what you mean. it felt like JT should have kicked that conversion, but the footy gods had a back up plan :)

Without doubt the 1978 Grand Final that Cronulla would have won with any referee besides the cheating low life grub lily livered low life Gregory (I'm a cheat) Hartley."You wouldn't want to win a Grand Final from a penalty goal would you", he said to Steve Rogers. If I ever met him face to face I would spit in his eye, the rat.

Its the greatest GF not just soley on the performance of the contest but also the feel good story behind it;

1) First ever Queensland GF
2) Hodges last game
3) NQ Cowboys finally winning their first ever premiership after years of bad luck with refs
4) Broncos quest for redemption,
5) JT finally earning the right of being an immortal after an end of an amazing year
6) Bennet GF winning streak coming to an end.
7) Mate against mate

Last Week

Bench
Its the greatest GF not just soley on the performance of the contest but also the feel good story behind it;

1) First ever Queensland GF
2) Hodges last game
3) NQ Cowboys finally winning their first ever premiership after years of bad luck with refs
4) Broncos quest for redemption,
5) JT finally earning the right of being an immortal after an amazing year
6) Bennet GF winning streak coming to an end.
7) Mate against mate

8) Queensland.
9) Maroon.
10) Origin.
11) Queensland.

And if course, don't forget, Queensland.

Norths Tiger

Juniors
Greatest finish? Yes.
Greatest grand final? No no no no NO. Roosters Manly a far better game in recent times. But no media darling teams in that one.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cowboys vs Broncos. Well, was it?

With quality both sides displayed throughout the game combined with the drama of the last try, the Hunt knock on and it being poetic for Thurston to kick the field goal. For me, it was the best ever.

The theatre at the end has to be up there with one of the best.

The game in general wasn't the best though.

It was very gripping to watch.

nrlnrl

First Grade
First half was high quality, 2nd half dropped off. The finish was incredible when all seemed lost for the Cowboys. Overall, I'd rate 1997 & 1989 clearly better. For the short term / everything is better these days fans, they'll all vote for 2015. ( the social media driven approach of 'the greatest ever is now', will lead many to vote for 2015).

Remember, these are the same people who each week want you to say that a good try from each round is the 'try of the year' or the very good game with a close finish is ' the greatest game ever'.

Last edited:

DRAGONS2016

Juniors
First half was high quality, 2nd half dropped off. The finish was incredible when all seemed lost for the Cowboys. Overall, I'd rate 1997 & 1989 clearly better. For the short term / everything is better these days fans, they'll all vote for 2015. ( the social media driven approach of 'the greatest ever is now', will lead many to vote for 2015).

Remember, these are the same people who each week want you to say that a good try from each round is the 'try of the year' or the very good game with a close finish is ' the greatest game ever'.

Very well said. A good observation of today's society and rugby league demographic. However, I'd still say 97 was tainted because of the turmoil surrounding the competition at the time, although the game itself was superb. I can't vouch for 89 as I was only young at the time. As far as 'fairytales' go, this will be hard to top. Very dramatic and satisfying (unless of course you support Bris).

I haven't felt such Euphoria since Dragons won the comp.

RedVDave

First Grade
It gets my vote for best ever from my lifetime other special mentions go to:

2013, 2004 & 1997