What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was this the most boring Grand final ever?

melon.... said:
The defensive standard from Easts and the Warriors in 2002 was absolutely ferocious. Even today, nobody can duplicate that ferocity and intencity. Had a chat with Ref Harrigan at the start of teh finals series in 02 and asked who he thought were good enough to win it. He simply replied teh Roosters by a country mile. It was the vicious defence of which the likes has not been seen since 02. Many teams have adopted an up and in gang defence, but its hard with the pace of the game to maintain that intencity for 80 minutes. But in 92, the hits were just as hard in the last 10 minutes as they were in teh first.
02 was a good Grand Final for 60 minutes. Sure Im biased as it was our first win in 27years, but there were quality players all over the park. Even 03, and 04 had you more rivetted than last weekends, GF which was liek a normal round. I keep expecting this weekend's teams announced. The season seems unfinished after that fizzer.

Why would anyone want to duplicate the defence that the Roosters had in 2002?

In 2003 and 2004 you were left at the altar and in 2005 you weren't even invited to the wedding.

The game evolves.....

Pantherjim.

Referee
bulldogs-champion said:
couldn't agree with you more. this was the GF the salary cap had to have. we will never see the great teams like we did in the 80's and early 90's. was watching the 1995 GF the other day (bulldogs vs manly), manly for example had toovey, lyons, menzies, hasler, carroll, roberts, kosef and more (i've probably forgotten someone)- great players. these days teams have maybe 2 good players and the rest are reserve graders. 2005 has proved how the salary cap has f**ked football

Incorrect.

If we didn't have a salary cap League would be F*cked, as you would have all the financially self-reliant clubs like the Roosters, Broncos, Dogs, Eels and Panthers buying all the house-hold name players in the N.R.L. Other clubs wouldn't have a hope in hell of success as their ranks would be made up of esentially junior players. Once these players established themselves, they would be poached by the aforementioned clubs. Financially weaker clubs would eventually wither and die.

The Salary cap spreads the talent pure and simple.

Better for the game, better for everyone.

Pantherjim.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Everlovin' Antichrist said:

In 2003 and 2004 you were left at the altar and in 2005 you weren't even invited to the wedding.

:clap: :lol:

So do we 'tinker' with the salary cap by increasing the playing stocks of the good clubs ie Tigers, Dragons, Brisbane, Parra at the expense of the dead wood clubs such as Canberra? Imagined if Canberra was pillaged of its already scarce playing talent- I could see a few players adjusting at other clubs and the rest would be on the metro cup scrap heap.
I remember back in the mid-nineties when a group of people had a shared vision to cull the number of teams to ensure that the standard of footy would be consistently high. They promised that every game would resemble a state of origin match.
Now in 2005 you want a situation where we have gross disparities in playing talent? Thats the only way that you will acheive a 'super team' unless we restrict the number of teams to 6.

melon....

Coach

The game evolves.....
Thats my point. Since 2002 we havent even been able to reproduce that intencity. it certainly isnt around any more as evident in this very laid back and tense less finals series. 03 and 04 we got left at the alter as you put it because we could not reproduce the starch when it mattered in the big one. yes teh game evolves, and unfortunately the quality of games has evolved backwards. Forunately we were saved by two Grand Finalists that were able to bring touch football to teh big stage. Wests and teh Cowboys I guess have revolutionised the attack with their touch like quick phase play around the ruck.

Relax, your team won a GF. They are Premiers. Im not disputing that, and if I could stop yawning I might be more audible.

You aren't yawning any less than I was during the 2002 & 2004 Grand Finals.

f**k defence. The Tigers all-out attack combined with a very-good scrambling defence was not only fun to watch, it turned out to be pretty effective against most teams.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
How about this story from todays SMH:

80 minutes of pure boredom
October 5, 2005

Rachael Jacobs find herself offside with all football codes.

Call me a traitor to my upbringing, my home state of NSW or even my country, but I have no interest in football. I'm not even biased against any code in particular: I despise them all.

So it's no surprise these past two weekends have not been the highlight of my year.

Unfortunately my feelings weren't shared by my husband, who follows every code and competition known to humankind: rugby league, rugby union, Aussie rules, premier league soccer, European football, even Gaelic football.

For the record, I want to state that I'm not a sports hater. I love competitive sport. Or, more accurately, I love playing competitive sport. I've always believed that sport is something to experience, not watch. Certainly it isn't something to froth and shout like a maniac.

What's so great about watching a bunch of blokes you've never met run around passing a ball, all the while yelping "Pass it, you idiot!" or "Go! Go! Go!"? Footy fans, here's a newsflash: they can't hear you.

Last Sunday, rather than fight the obscenities-shouting crowd that had gathered in front of my TV, I decided to watch. To see if there was more to footy than I had thought.

The pre-game conversation only highlighted my disdain. "Wests Tigers will win, for sure," offered one sage lounge-room critic.

"That's great," I replied, "So why do we have to watch the game?" Not surprisingly, my comments were met with more boos and heckles than the pre-match entertainment.

It wasn't long before the mandatory cliched footy commentary cranked up, with Captain Bleeding Obvious in the starring role. "This is a game of two halves", "There are two teams in this game" and "The team that wins will be the one that scores the most tries" were just some of the pearls of wisdom that failed to capture my imagination.

Later, the source of my frustration with footy dawned on me when the cameras panned across the crowd. There was a mix of colours and jerseys and, guess what? None of them was current.

I was brought up in a footy household, so I do have a vague idea of how the game works. I'm probably showing my age now, but my father was a Newtown supporter. I briefly feigned an interest in Parramatta. A guy from my school played for Norths. So here's the problem: on Sunday I had no idea who these teams were. Wests Tigers? In my book, they're either Wests, as in Magpies, or they're Tigers. And Wests don't make it to grand finals. As for the Cowboys, to me they sound like a Yankee baseball team from the Deep South. Yee ha!

All this, peppered with advertising that insults the intelligence of even the Bundy bear, made for 80 minutes of pure boredom. I did, however, get 80 minutes to write this article and check my email, interrupted only by boofy people squeezing past me to get their paws on the portable cooler. Maybe football is good for something after all.

Readers are invited to apply wit to anything that makes the blood boil. Send 600 words, with day and evening phone numbers, to heckler@smh.com.au. Submissions may be edited and published on the internet.

feel free to email the pompous twerp.

gaterooze

Bench
at the expense of the dead wood clubs such as Canberra? Imagined if Canberra was pillaged of its already scarce playing talent

Someone hasn't been paying attention...

The Raiders are doing exactly what the Tigers have been doing the past few years, building a core of incredible young talent.

Bengal

Juniors
Bulldog Power said:
99 was exciting with st george choking massively

Disagree with this...you need the ball to choke...Melbourne got the best roll-on I've ever seen...you don't see those sorts of roll-ins in the game today.

Bengal

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
This definately was one of the more boring GF's of the Modern Era. Full credit to the tigers, they deserved their win thoroughly, but I can't help but notice how much the General standard amongst the top teams has slipped this year compared to last, and that is the reason why the comp is so even.

The slary cap has made the poor teams average and the good teams average, so we don't get to see that classic GF we all want, and I don't think we will see another classic GF untill the salary cap is tinkered with.

I think the roosters Bulldogs and panthers of the last few years would do the tigers by 20 - 30 points on their day.

Whilst everyone is saying " the salary cap is great it makes the comp so even and intersting!" yes it does. it levels it out. But come finals time we miss the great games by the big heavy wieghts that can produce great footy in attack and defence.

Disagree...the salary cap has made the big guns more susceptable to outside influences, namely injuries,but at full strength, they're just as strong as ever. They just don't have the luxury of having near limitless stocks of international quality reserves to cover their ars*s. anymore.

As for a classic grand final...

To me a classic gf is one where the result is not known until the very last minute (maybe beyond). Any two sides are capable of doing this.

As to whether it needs to be mistake free or near enough to really give it meaning...it's rather subjective, cause for allwe know a mistake free game could also have been one where both sides refused or were incapable of...using the ball.

Long live the salary cap...and not ONLY because it evens out the competition (I've always said that this is a happy by-product), but primarily because it allows us to live within our means

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Not for me it wasn't.

I didn't follow or hate either team

If you can't enjoy a game without following or hating one of the teams then that's unfortunate

and the game itself just wasn't that good.

I disagree. It was an intense contest.

simon says

First Grade
Hhahahahha...Im loving this you bunch of sour pusses.

Great tries,huge defense,blokes playing on one leg and with $%^$^% shoulders.

80k screaming tiger fans making the ground a sea of orange.

There has never been a GF like it....

Ohhh,and did I mention Benjis try????

WOOHOOOOO 2005 premiers you can alll suck my $%^&%&^%&^%.

WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

Thierry Henry said:
If you can't enjoy a game without following or hating one of the teams then that's unfortunate

I disagree. It was an intense contest.

You missed the point. Melon's constant bleating that season 2005 and the 2005 GF were of poor standard is obviously an attempt to belittle a season where his side slid to also-ran status after being "the benchmark" for a number of seasons (in his eyes anwyay). Nothing more than sour grapes.

2005 is, and will be in the forseeable future, my favourite season this century.

Why?

For the same reason 2002 is Melon's favourite and 2005 his least favourite this century.

His team won the comp in 2002, my team was crap.

My team won the comp in 2005, his team was crap.

You missed the point. Melon's constant bleating that season 2005 and the 2005 GF were of poor standard is obviously an attempt to belittle a season where his side slid to also-ran status after being "the benchmark" for a number of seasons (in his eyes anwyay). Nothing more than sour grapes.

2005 is, and will be in the forseeable future, my favourite season this century.

Why?

For the same reason 2002 is Melon's favourite and 2005 his least favourite this century.

You hit the nail on the head with those last 2 sentences
Im a rooster through and through, alot of my disappointment at 2005 as well as melons was a repercussion of our poor form, which really made it hard to get excited and caught up in the hype.
Good luck to the Wests Tigers, deserved winners

But i must say there was some really ordinary football played this season.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach

Why?

lol, I didn't miss the point. I've never given a sh*t what melon has to say.

rufus youngblood said:
You hit the nail on the head with those last 2 sentences
Im a rooster through and through, alot of my disappointment at 2005 as well as melons was a repercussion of our poor form, which really made it hard to get excited and caught up in the hype.
Good luck to the Wests Tigers, deserved winners

But i must say there was some really ordinary football played this season.

You should have watched games not involving the Roosters, there were a lot of fantastic games this season. Especially the two that we handed your arses to you in. ;-)

gaterooze

Bench
I think the roosters Bulldogs and panthers of the last few years would do the tigers by 20 - 30 points on their day.

Utter rubbish. Panthers of 2003 would be a good contest and could go either way, but the Tigers would have had the wood on either of last year's Grand Finalists.

Latest posts