What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was this the most boring Grand final ever?

The first game that you guys won was a travesty, even my mates who are passionate tigers fans could not beleive you won that game.
The second game it was fairly even for 30 mins then your guys hit another gear that we just didnt have.

maybe we class a game as exciting diffently, i class a good contest as one with a couple of points in it,last man standing, no winner until the dying seconds.

a 38 30 scoreline may have plenty of tries, but not as exciting for me as a 10-8 scoreline

Calixte

First Grade
Not only was it an excellent match, it will set the style for 2006 with two attacking sides making it through to the big game.

Certainly the skills shown in the NRL GF surpassed the messy, error ridden AFL GF this year. If the latter hadn't been close, it would have been a disastrous spectacle for Demetriou and Co.

rufus youngblood said:
The first game that you guys won was a travesty, even my mates who are passionate tigers fans could not beleive you won that game.
The second game it was fairly even for 30 mins then your guys hit another gear that we just didnt have.

maybe we class a game as exciting diffently, i class a good contest as one with a couple of points in it,last man standing, no winner until the dying seconds.

a 38 30 scoreline may have plenty of tries, but not as exciting for me as a 10-8 scoreline

Well then 2005 must have been torture for you.

The best game of the season for me finished 37-36.

Knight76

Juniors
As far as grand finals go I thought it ranked pretty low. I even commented to a mate watching with me that I thought Grand finals have lost their intencity.

This game was just the same as a regular season match. There seemed to be no intencity to either team, they just seemed to be playing like it was only worth two points. No big hits in defence really, no softening up period through the forwards. A boring contest really.

Bengal

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
You missed the point. Melon's constant bleating that season 2005 and the 2005 GF were of poor standard is obviously an attempt to belittle a season where his side slid to also-ran status after being "the benchmark" for a number of seasons (in his eyes anwyay). Nothing more than sour grapes.

To add…I can’t help but feel there’s always an underlying agenda whenever he brings up such notions as the mediocrity of most teams or the lowering of standards of play etc in the NRL.

I see it as a thinly veiled attempt to help gauge, perhaps gather support for future salary cap increases (or even abolishment) wrapped up in a “we need to increase the standard of play for the good of the game” type statement… but the (salary cap increase) point won’t be sprung on people until enough support has being deemed to have been won.

In short…the Roosters wanna win and the easiest and surest way they no how to achieve that is with money!

....and what's in their way???

El Diablo

Post Whore
Bengal said:
To add…I can’t help but feel there’s always an underlying agenda whenever he brings up such notions as the mediocrity of most teams or the lowering of standards of play etc in the NRL.

I see it as a thinly veiled attempt to help gauge, perhaps gather support for future salary cap increases (or even abolishment) wrapped up in a “we need to increase the standard of play for the good of the game” type statement… but the (salary cap increase) point won’t be sprung on people until enough support has being deemed to have been won.

In short…the Roosters wanna win and the easiest and surest way they no how to achieve that is with money!

....and what's in their way???

Typical Roosters fan thread about the cap http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=116712

Bengal

Juniors
Interesting thread

*LRC* had many valid points, namely the length of the season and the rep schedule being contributors to the evenness of the comp.

*Perverse* also brought up a good point about injuries also playing their part in the evenness of this comp

Still...

Lots of salary cap talk, but no real understanding as to the underlying purpose of why they're talking salary cap issues tho.

rufus youngblood said:

I'm sure Canberra beat Newcastle with a similar scoreline up in Newcastle. Wests beat Cronulla last year 12-4 as well. I can unequivocally say that these games were the most tedious matches in the respective years. I would have to go back to the super league days to dredge up a game of comparitively poor skill.

I expected Wests to beat the Roosters in round 4 and in the corresponding match at Homebush it was simply the Roosters incredible defence and an off day in attack for the Tigers that gave the match an appearance of closeness. That was a fairly uninspiring game and the pinnicle of entertainment was Crocker's self-capitulation.

melon....

Coach
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
You missed the point. Melon's constant bleating that season 2005 and the 2005 GF were of poor standard is obviously an attempt to belittle a season where his side slid to also-ran status after being "the benchmark" for a number of seasons (in his eyes anwyay). Nothing more than sour grapes.

2005 is, and will be in the forseeable future, my favourite season this century.

Why?

For the same reason 2002 is Melon's favourite and 2005 his least favourite this century.

His team won the comp in 2002, my team was crap.

My team won the comp in 2005, his team was crap.
bullsh*t. you know I call it as it is. No way do i resent teh fact the Maggettes won. No way. they thoroughly deserved it. more than anyone. 04 was teh worst year, simply because the Dirty Dogs prospered. That is a travesty.

But it is how i call it. 2005 will be remebered as the year Benji Marshall stamped his authority and showed his freakish skills.

It will also go down as a year were the majority of games were pour quality, and the refereeing went a long way in evening this comp up.

Thats how it is.

Pantherjim.

Referee
melon.... said:
bullsh*t. you know I call it as it is. No way do i resent teh fact the Maggettes won. No way. they thoroughly deserved it. more than anyone. 04 was teh worst year, simply because the Dirty Dogs prospered. That is a travesty.

Funny how you can say the Tiges deserved their Premiership last Sunday night, yet when it comes to us kicking your arse in 2003, "It was a fluke" all because It was YOUR boys that came off Second best. Same Re:Bulldogs 2004: "A travesty" again, because YOUR boys were the runners up. :lol:

Get back to us when you've developed some credibility Melon.

Pantherjim.

Smartman

Juniors
melon.... said:

Yeah it must suck not beating a Bulldogs outfit to win a premiership.
icon6.gif

Doesnt Nick Politis have anymore brown paper bags because the halves and prop department look thin next year.

shadow grinder

First Grade
Smartman said:
Yeah it must suck not beating a Bulldogs outfit to win a premiership.
icon6.gif

Doesnt Nick Politis have anymore brown paper bags because the halves and prop department look thin next year.

they have alot of bags...not all of them brown

choisir

Juniors
My opinion is it wasnt boring.But this is the funniest thing Ive ever read on a Footy Forum.
http://www.rabbitohs.com/hutch/showthread.php?t=10276

Congrats News Ltd, Western Suburbs Magpies + Vlad
I do apologise to the above winners for not acknowledging the result of last Sundays media circus.

To begin a very hearty pat on the back to News Ltd or to those of us on a friendly basis to this Corporation that is - Bastard Incorporated for again succeeding in brainwashing the dumb and the gullible that exterminating two fine old Rugby League Clubs to produce the most hideous scientific experiment since Dolly the Sheep - that is a Tigers body with a Magpie shoved up its arse to produce a Tigpie was a "winner"

Yes good on you marketing gurus in Bastard Incs publicity dept for coming up with this concoction of naming the side the Westssssss Tigers who only Terry Hill or Ita Buttrose can pronounce. What a fine example of a so called 50/50 joint venture with apart from Mark the Magpie not one iota on this hideous creations jumper of a black and white bird and a pathetic attempt to acknowledge the Maggies by wearing white shorts.

Whats even more laughable is that the Cowboys got home to their neighbourhood 5 thousand km's away quicker than the Tigpies got back to Campbelltown the following day. Why was there not a big black Magpie on the arse of those baggy white Shorts? Joint venture Moi's very bareass!

Next on the congrats list is the meek, the uneducated,the impoverished good citizens of Sydneys south western suburbs who jumped on the bandwagon in the last five minutes to claim this concoction as their own. Yes the nightly stealing of motor vehicles and torching them for no reason was put on hold out at Macquarie Fields last Sunday night to at least 8.30pm while the lawabiding residents sat glued to their black and white TV'S in their hardiplank Dept of Housing castles until the final siren.

What great rolemodels for these starstruck snotty nosed kiddies to hear their representatives utter expletives while waddling around the ground with Matty Johns asking the the question of 'how does it feel?"

No wonder 9 year old Zac Bludger was heard to yell out the expletive of "**** it feels good" at 10.30 pm when the first VN Commodore of the night was stolen and subsequently torched in honour of the Magpies win...( at least it was for a reason!)

.....Next for congrats is for the second worse team ever to make a Grandfinal ..( the Cowboys were without a doubt the worst team) and congrats for the 2nd worse team to ever actually winning it!

The 1969 Balmain Tigers is without a doubt is the worst winning Grandfinal side and this 2005 side is right up thier clacker. This foul mouth uncouth mob have one genuine superstar in Marshall, a competant Fullback and a tradesman Half and thats it but somehow they won it!

....and finally it would be very remiss of Moi not to state my best wishes to Moi's old sparring partner Vlad from the Oz League forum who embraced the Tigers pulling down their pants for News Ltd to have thier way with them quicker than George Michael embraced Homosexuality!

Vlad or B2 to his closet freinds ( he was the original B2 in Bannanas in Pyjamas ) is the very last of the old Balmain supporters now that Laurie Nicholls' heart was broken and is now sadly gone.

B2 I have no doubt is currently sipping on his Earl Gray Tea down at Darling street Ferry Wharf Balmain internally having orgasm after orgasm on last Sundays result, black and yellow scarf around the neck, proudly wearing his Phillips 1989 Balmain Jumper safe in the knowedlge that his premiers Trophy is not sitting in the glass cabinet at victoria rd Balmain but 60 kms ways out a Cambelltown where 9 year old Zac Bludger is about to throw a rock thru the Glass Cabinet to hock it a Cash Convertors!

Hats off B2 your a winner!

melon.... said:

But it is how i call it. 2005 will be remebered as the year Benji Marshall stamped his authority and showed his freakish skills.

It will also go down as a year were the majority of games were pour quality, and the refereeing went a long way in evening this comp up.

Thats how it is.

You're a sook.

We would have made the 8 last season if it hadn't been for refereeing decisions.

But we didn't deserve to be there. It all works out in the end, the cream rises to the top and the sh*t finishes 9th.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
choisir said:
My opinion is it wasnt boring.But this is the funniest thing Ive ever read on a Footy Forum.

I do apologise to the above winners for not acknowledging the result of last Sundays media circus.

To begin a very hearty pat on the back to News Ltd or to those of us on a friendly basis to this Corporation that is - Bastard Incorporated for again succeeding in brainwashing the dumb and the gullible that exterminating two fine old Rugby League Clubs to produce the most hideous scientific experiment since Dolly the Sheep - that is a Tigers body with a Magpie shoved up its arse to produce a Tigpie was a "winner"

Yes good on you marketing gurus in Bastard Incs publicity dept for coming up with this concoction of naming the side the Westssssss Tigers who only Terry Hill or Ita Buttrose can pronounce. What a fine example of a so called 50/50 joint venture with apart from Mark the Magpie not one iota on this hideous creations jumper of a black and white bird and a pathetic attempt to acknowledge the Maggies by wearing white shorts.

Whats even more laughable is that the Cowboys got home to their neighbourhood 5 thousand km's away quicker than the Tigpies got back to Campbelltown the following day. Why was there not a big black Magpie on the arse of those baggy white Shorts? Joint venture Moi's very bareass!

Next on the congrats list is the meek, the uneducated,the impoverished good citizens of Sydneys south western suburbs who jumped on the bandwagon in the last five minutes to claim this concoction as their own. Yes the nightly stealing of motor vehicles and torching them for no reason was put on hold out at Macquarie Fields last Sunday night to at least 8.30pm while the lawabiding residents sat glued to their black and white TV'S in their hardiplank Dept of Housing castles until the final siren.

What great rolemodels for these starstruck snotty nosed kiddies to hear their representatives utter expletives while waddling around the ground with Matty Johns asking the the question of 'how does it feel?"

No wonder 9 year old Zac Bludger was heard to yell out the expletive of "**** it feels good" at 10.30 pm when the first VN Commodore of the night was stolen and subsequently torched in honour of the Magpies win...( at least it was for a reason!)

.....Next for congrats is for the second worse team ever to make a Grandfinal ..( the Cowboys were without a doubt the worst team) and congrats for the 2nd worse team to ever actually winning it!

The 1969 Balmain Tigers is without a doubt is the worst winning Grandfinal side and this 2005 side is right up thier clacker. This foul mouth uncouth mob have one genuine superstar in Marshall, a competant Fullback and a tradesman Half and thats it but somehow they won it!

....and finally it would be very remiss of Moi not to state my best wishes to Moi's old sparring partner Vlad from the Oz League forum who embraced the Tigers pulling down their pants for News Ltd to have thier way with them quicker than George Michael embraced Homosexuality!

Vlad or B2 to his closet freinds ( he was the original B2 in Bannanas in Pyjamas ) is the very last of the old Balmain supporters now that Laurie Nicholls' heart was broken and is now sadly gone.

B2 I have no doubt is currently sipping on his Earl Gray Tea down at Darling street Ferry Wharf Balmain internally having orgasm after orgasm on last Sundays result, black and yellow scarf around the neck, proudly wearing his Phillips 1989 Balmain Jumper safe in the knowedlge that his premiers Trophy is not sitting in the glass cabinet at victoria rd Balmain but 60 kms ways out a Cambelltown where 9 year old Zac Bludger is about to throw a rock thru the Glass Cabinet to hock it a Cash Convertors!

A typical bitter, whinging South Sydney fan.

choisir said:

Yeah, thanks for that, are you sure he isn't Craig McLaughlin?

I'd love to go there and shove that up his arse but I'm scared that I'll catch what he has.....

Latest posts