What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wasnt Golden Point changed for finals to be after 5 each way?

Simo

First Grade
Can anyone recall earlier in the year maybe last year that there was a rule change for finals footy so that you would get 5 min each way before golden point and the discussion was the saints broncos game a few years back where there was a field goal in the first minute of GP (Lockeyer booted it I think maybe the year he broke his jaw) and it was unfair to a side to be knocked out like that after 80mins of drawn footy?

Maybe this is just for the grand final or did they not implement it at all?

I couldnt find the article online from a quick search but thought it was a great idea and until Sat night thought it was in place.

Anyone else recall this??

Pierced Soul

First Grade
it makes logical sense for there to be extra time rather than golden point but i dont think it was ever implemented

ellskimore

Juniors
It's something they absolutely must bring in, in my opinion. I don't understand how golden point is more exciting than extra time. Extra time at least gives the opposing team a right of reply.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Id rather see the game extended in 5 minute intervals until there is a leader....

The team that scores the most points in that 5 minutes wins/ if they are still even, they play 5 more minutes.

It would end the FG shootout, it would allow teams an opportunity to comeback even if the other score of the first set. But at the same time teams wouldnt be forced to do play out the full 10 if one is dominating...

Canard

Immortal
Can anyone recall earlier in the year maybe last year that there was a rule change for finals footy so that you would get 5 min each way before golden point and the discussion was the saints broncos game a few years back where there was a field goal in the first minute of GP (Lockeyer booted it I think maybe the year he broke his jaw) and it was unfair to a side to be knocked out like that after 80mins of drawn footy?

Maybe this is just for the grand final or did they not implement it at all?

I couldnt find the article online from a quick search but thought it was a great idea and until Sat night thought it was in place.

Anyone else recall this??

Do you reckon they just forgot about it on Saturday night? Shit you have blown the competition wide open.

This is headline news! :D

LineBall

Juniors
Id rather see the game extended in 5 minute intervals until there is a leader....

The team that scores the most points in that 5 minutes wins/ if they are still even, they play 5 more minutes.

It would end the FG shootout, it would allow teams an opportunity to comeback even if the other score of the first set. But at the same time teams wouldnt be forced to do play out the full 10 if one is dominating...

I would rather they play 10 extra minutes. At the end of that time - the leader wins. If still tied - play an extra 10, etc.

Let the clock dictate when the game ends. If you are lucky enough to kick a field goal to win it in the last 30 seconds of extra time, so be it. If you kick one in the first minute of extra time, the other mob gets 9 minutes to beat you, or you can go ahead even further.

slamminsam246

Juniors
Definitely extra time for finals. Refs let the rules go out the window during GP too afraid to award penalties. Even ignoring their other officials advice. Golden Point during regular rounds only. However each team get 1 comp pt automatically if drawn after 80mins. Then Golden Point for the extra comp point. I think its wrong even during the season that a team can get nothing for matching there opponents the whole 80mins and beyond.

I also think the captains challenge they use in the u20s should be adopted. 1 incorrect challenge per half for each team I think isn't it? That way we won't see SBW getting his weekly penalty for having hands like feet.

benntash

Juniors
Golden try I'd be happy with.
Most points at the end of the extra 10 wins unless there's a try where the team that scores it wins

jargan83

Coach
Golden point as a rule sucks. Introduced as a complete over reaction when an Origin series was drawn.

Get rid of it in the regular season and just make it extra time in finals. Use extra time in Origin games if they are desperate for a result instead of a drawn series.

I saw a game on Foxtel sometime in the past few months that was Canterbury vs Parramatta from 98 when they just played 10 minutes each way as extra time.

Go back to that method.

Diesel

Referee
So many people oppose GP yet the powers to be at the ARLC (channel 9) dictate that the fans love it. Do away with GP all together and only have extra time for finals

Muz Dragon

Juniors
The NRL rule book says 2 x 10 minutes.

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/ARLRulesbook2014.pdf

Page 12 - Section 6, 2.b

FINALS EXTRA TIME (NRL COMPETITION ONLY)
For all finals games, including the Grand Final, in the event of a draw at full time, extra time of 10 minutes each way will be played. If the scores are still level at the expiration of extra time, the coin will be tossed with the winner of the toss electing the end of the ground to defend and play will continue until the next score. That score will determine the winner.

shaver

Juniors
This rulebook needs to be shared around social media etc and brought up with the NRL. Unbelievable.

RockWheel

Bench
That rulebook is for the international rules with NRL interpretations added to the end. Check out page 65.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The NRL rule book says 2 x 10 minutes.

http://www.nrl.com/portals/nrl/RadEditor/Documents/ARLRulesbook2014.pdf

Page 12 - Section 6, 2.b

FINALS EXTRA TIME (NRL COMPETITION ONLY)
For all finals games, including the Grand Final, in the event of a draw at full time, extra time of 10 minutes each way will be played. If the scores are still level at the expiration of extra time, the coin will be tossed with the winner of the toss electing the end of the ground to defend and play will continue until the next score. That score will determine the winner.

i'd say that's an error in the rule book as it also says this

Attachments

• dw.jpg
    dw.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts