What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett and future coach talk

Noname36

First Grade
It's pretty simple really. Dragons and Broncos had/have the type of players that suit Bennett's style. We didn't. End of story. Time to move on.

slotmachine

First Grade
We still weren't great in 2013 though, 29 points in the regular season. We were an epic Panthers choke away from missing the finals all together.

That said, I'd take 29 points in 2015 if someone was offering.

Frederick

Staff member
Huh?

He assembled the squad you know. We had a greater player turnover during the Bennett years than we've ever had.

Only in the forwards. The backs and spine were relatively stable. And the spine was a big reason for the failures we've experienced for a long time. Mullen, Roberts, and Gidley are all mental midgets who are completely incapable of playing consistently good football over the course of a season

Swarzey

Bench
In 2013 we were inconsistent to start the year but I think Round 16 when we faced Melbourne in Melbourne we turned our season around. We didn't beat them either time or the Roosters but we had plenty of great performances to finish the season and neither week one or week two of the finals were a fluke. Through all the crap we went through last year we still finished two wins and a better for and against away from finishing inside the 8. All you need to do is look at Manly and how well they're travelling this year to see that off field issues of any kind greatly impact performances.

How anyone could say we let Bennett down is beyond me.

Noname36

First Grade
Only in the forwards. The backs and spine were relatively stable. And the spine was a big reason for the failures we've experienced for a long time. Mullen, Roberts, and Gidley are all mental midgets who are completely incapable of playing consistently good football over the course of a season

Not really. The only stable positions from pre-Bennett are Mullen and the wingers. Gidley was around but he'd been playing fullback before 2012. Under Bennett he was played at half and hooker. Roberts was at the club in 2011 but hadn't played much firstgrade. The spine was far from stable. Pretty much the entire squad was changed be it personal wise or positionally.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Rick Stone should get another shot a Head Coach...

In the 2 years he had control, he dealt with a lot off the field and still had the team performing; 2010-Danny Wicks days, 3 tight losses from the finals. 2011-lost his job to Wango, he got a shitty team into 8th spot.

Yeah Smiths comments to be posted here please? Haven't heard anything from the players yet.

Getting away from bashing him. Who coaches is next?

I love Stone but not a %100 sold. However I know players will play for him.

He can go back to Brisbane and St George fans can rest easy knowing that Mary McGregor is a. far better option. Imagine how awesome it will feel if we beat Brisbane next season and Stoney or Brennan can know that we put one over a man who really has been an epic failure here.

Given he has the support of someone like Quayle, he must be doing the job well behind the scenes. Also given the state of plenty of boards, his work over the past three years hasn't been too bad.

hornblower-06-retribution.png

oldtitanic-11.jpg

I know who I'd rather have...

Either way, Stone coached in the QLD Cup for 13 years (winning 3 premierships) and has been an assistant to Hagan, Smith and Bennett. Not to mention he has experience as a head coach for both Fiji and the Knights. It's bit of an insult to liken him to a deckhand that needs someone like Sheens looking over his shoulder or holding his hand.

On a related note, wouldn't it be great if Stone was somehow able to pick up the best traits of the above 3 coaches he has been an assistant to: Hagan's "local knowledge", Smith's tactical nous and Bennett's player management.

Alternatively, he could end up Smith's "local knowledge", Bennett's game plans and Hagan's player management. :lol:

Oh well, despite the fact I thought Brennan could have been a great coach for us, I was never completely sold. I've heard things from former players of his and things from a family member who worked with him in the police dept so we might have dodged a bullet there.

Out of those left I hope Stone gets it. I wasn't a fan of him getting the job earlier but I think he'd be a better option than most of the others named.

considering everything that has happened, the fact bennett doesn't want stone probably indicates he is the best man for the job

bennett should be marched out the door

Just give us Stone already. I think he is well
and truly ready. Just don't be expecting the knights to be winning premierships in the next few years fellas. And don't tear strips off Stonemif we don't. All I want to right now im who is constistally hurting teams physically and giving it they got and love for the jersey. Emotion and grit. Consistently. No more pea hearted performances. Stone I believe can get them playing for each other and the town again.

After a lot of thought I have changed my mind and actually disagree on his perceived lack of backbone. He may lack the swiftness of others in making tough calls. I think Stone is trying to give Gids a happy ending to his time here but he is realising he might just have to make the toughest call of all. Stoney is very clever tactically. He adapts well. Give him a quality half and another rep calibre prop and he will be winning more than he loses. Again I will throw at you we were right in it with the Dragons till Beau was injured. Beau is the leader. No two ways about it.

Alex28

Coach
Heaps of speculation today in both papers that Stone will be punted either before or at the end of the season. Nathan Brown is being mentioned as our next potential coach...

perverse

Referee
Good, Browny might be able to bring a culture change with him. Yes a bloke who will remember what it was like to play against a Newie team that had some heart, too.

Nuffy

Bench
Heaps of speculation today in both papers that Stone will be punted either before or at the end of the season. Nathan Brown is being mentioned as our next potential coach...

Seriously there is no chance of this happening.

Stone is in the clique and he is from Newcastle which seems to be all that matters nowadays.

I can see the discussions between Mids and Stone each Monday.

"Tough loss again Stoney, unlucky mate."

" Yes I hear you Mids but we are working hard and I was pleased with the effort, nothing we can do mate, with the cattle we are missing, we just need to compete well and build for 2016, we are better for the experience and I can see the effort is there from the boys."

"Okay, great Stoney, now where are we at re your contract extension."

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Most likely a guess....

We've lost 7 from the last 8 and NBrown is probably looking for another gig as head coach. I wont believe it til it happens.

Swarzey

Bench
Hopefully he learnt how to coach. Considering St. Helens were a top side, it's hardly convincing.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Why the crap couldn't Bennett do with us what he's done with the Broncos this year. Man we suck.

Jono078

Referee
I think it's really clear it's the attitude around this club as a whole.

The Broncos compete hard for 80. Our guys go hard for 15 and feel like they can cruise to get the win. And we're dumb and just don't have good enough players in key positions.

Noname36

First Grade
It all comes down to the squad really. Part of it is Brisbane have an easier time getting players to go up there...the other is that we had far to many derpy players in important positions (e.g. Gidley, Roberts) who Bennett tried to work with who really needed to be shipped off.

Broncos have leaders. Try slacking off when Hodges, Thaiday and Parker are on the field with you. they would let you know.

Alex28

Coach
Interesting mention of the Knights in The Mole column in RLW today - a discreet enquiry to Laurie Daley to coach the Knights. He said no essentially because he wanted to stay in Sydney and keep coaching NSW, but it is a sign that the club needs to win games soon for Stone to be safe...

Latest posts