What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett and future coach talk

Whats Doing

Bench
Listening to Bennett's after match interview where he was blaming the players incurring the same mistakes that had for the past 2 or 3 years (Griffin's period).

That was the exact same excuses Bennett said when he first came to Newcastle. Blames the previous coaches and takes no responsibility himself. IN fact he took no responsibility for the poor performances from the knights for 3 years.

This bloke is a classic tosser and his own shortcomings as a coach will be brutally exposed again this year.

undertaker

Coach
Listening to Bennett's after match interview where he was blaming the players incurring the same mistakes that had for the past 2 or 3 years (Griffin's period).

That was the exact same excuses Bennett said when he first came to Newcastle. Blames the previous coaches and takes no responsibility himself. IN fact he took no responsibility for the poor performances from the knights for 3 years.

This bloke is a classic tosser and his own shortcomings as a coach will be brutally exposed again this year.

Deep down, you still wish he was still wearing Knights merchandise don't ya (just joking):lol:

8316d33f-71d2-4db9-85d4-65f2952a96dc.jpg

In all seriousness though, do you believe that his past coaching record at the Broncos is attributed to nothing more than having a whole bunch of superstars in the side?

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Bennett has never been regarded as a brilliant tactician, he's made his mark due to his ability to get the best out of his players, now that's great when you have the best team, I don't think Bennett has the ability to take a team from mid table mediocrity to a premiership.
In terms of if he's past it or not, I said last year that the game has moved past his basic gameplan, that was evidently against Souths, their attack was pedestrian and gave Souths very little trouble, problem now is he hasn't got the individual brilliance of a Lockyer, Langer or Hodges (in his prime) to bail him out.
His past success has made him think his methods are infallible, it's prevented him from evolving and adding new ideas to his repertoire

Still Nutty

Juniors
I know a different team but it illustrates the point to a tee - A classic example of 'Bennett ball' style footy was the performance of the Dragons last night...check the match stats here (https://matchcentre.nrl.com/match/2015/111/20151110180/) and tell me who should win that game? And I can tell you that the Storm only brought those stats a lot closer over the last 5-10 minutes because it was greater than a 60-40% split and the gap was much wider before the Storm strangled the possession to shut them out at the very back end of the game.

As Aqua_duck mentions below, the same possession and control game plan in and of itself isn't going to give you results in modern football

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Im starting to believe the rumour that Gareth Brennan pulled out of the race for the Head Coach role because of the boys Club mentality the club has....

I HAVE A GAME!!!!!

Predict how much longer does Tricky Ricky last and who replaces him??

(im guessing Midley announces a 3 year extention along with Kidleys new contract that includes an agreement for him to take over after Stone....)

Swarzey

Bench
lol.

Put a f**king cork in it.

You're a perfect match for the facebook page the way you carry on.

aqua_duck

Coach
Tactically I like Stone as a coach, but I don't think he has the intestinal fortitude to make tough calls

Noname36

First Grade
Tactically I like Stone as a coach, but I don't think he has the intestinal fortitude to make tough calls

This. I'd like to see how he'd have the side going if the players that consistently made the same errors weren't there because I do like what he's trying to do with the side style wise, but that's never going to happen if he keeps persisting with the likes of Gidley and Roberts and co. Just too many brain farts and poor decisions that are killing the side.

I think Stone has a lot of potential as a coach but he's never going to show it unless he has the guts to make the tough calls.

After a lot of thought I have changed my mind and actually disagree on his perceived lack of backbone. He may lack the swiftness of others in making tough calls. I think Stone is trying to give Gids a happy ending to his time here but he is realising he might just have to make the toughest call of all. Stoney is very clever tactically. He adapts well. Give him a quality half and another rep calibre prop and he will be winning more than he loses. Again I will throw at you we were right in it with the Dragons till Beau was injured. Beau is the leader. No two ways about it.

Last edited:
Bennett has never been regarded as a brilliant tactician, he's made his mark due to his ability to get the best out of his players, now that's great when you have the best team, I don't think Bennett has the ability to take a team from mid table mediocrity to a premiership.
In terms of if he's past it or not, I said last year that the game has moved past his basic gameplan, that was evidently against Souths, their attack was pedestrian and gave Souths very little trouble, problem now is he hasn't got the individual brilliance of a Lockyer, Langer or Hodges (in his prime) to bail him out.
His past success has made him think his methods are infallible, it's prevented him from evolving and adding new ideas to his repertoire

Good call I cant get over how poorly the Broncs are doing this year with the lack of individual brilliant players to get them over the line and Bennetts outdated coaching ability. :roll::roll:

Good call I cant get over how poorly the Broncs are doing this year with the lack of individual brilliant players to get them over the line and Bennetts outdated coaching ability. :roll::roll:

when his Origin stars are away and you are winning then come back and tell us. No arguments he is coaching well this season. We can only go by what he did here. Only a truly biased football fan could argue Bennett can win without a team full of stars. St George was already a very talented side that needed fine tuning. We on the other hand were a major challenge. Aqua point is, if you actually read it, is that Bennett relies on a high possession game brought home by the weight of that possession. He doesn't focus on a particular weakness in his opposition. At least not from what I have seen.

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
when his Origin stars are away and you are winning then come back and tell us. No arguments he is coaching well this season. We can only go by what he did here. Only a truly biased football fan could argue Bennett can win without a team full of stars. St George was already a very talented side that needed fine tuning. We on the other hand were a major challenge. Aqua point is, if you actually read it, is that Bennett relies on a high possession game brought home by the weight of that possession. He doesn't focus on a particular weakness in his opposition. At least not from what I have seen.

Then you mustn't have been paying much attention. We beat the Roosters because he devised a strategy that would throw the Roosters off their typical game plan, specifically their willingness to give away a defensive penalty in their own half.

Every time they gave a penalty away, we took the two points. That wasn't just typical Bennett clawing for every point on offer, it's him sending a message to the Roosters that said "hey, every penalty you give away is more points for us on the board", which isn't the outcome the Roosters were used to.

This through them off their normal defensive structure and the rest is history. It was a very specific and clinical tactical move on Bennetts part.

i am sorry mate by I would call that common sense from Benny. It also relies on the penalties being given.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Then you mustn't have been paying much attention. We beat the Roosters because he devised a strategy that would throw the Roosters off their typical game plan, specifically their willingness to give away a defensive penalty in their own half.

Every time they gave a penalty away, we took the two points. That wasn't just typical Bennett clawing for every point on offer, it's him sending a message to the Roosters that said "hey, every penalty you give away is more points for us on the board", which isn't the outcome the Roosters were used to.

This through them off their normal defensive structure and the rest is history. It was a very specific and clinical tactical move on Bennetts part.

Trollolol. Washed up Wayne has been taking the two and boring everyone to tears for a decade.

I have now come to realise that Wayne Bennett was never the issue, it was the newcastle Knights. That's why Wayne got out because there are so many issues within our club, too much of a mates club and run like a busted business.

It's no coincidence that the Broncos are firing under Wayne, as the dragons did.

I have now come to realise that Wayne Bennett was never the issue, it was the newcastle Knights. That's why Wayne got out because there are so many issues within our club, too much of a mates club and run like a busted business.

It's no coincidence that the Broncos are firing under Wayne, as the dragons did.

Nailed it in one mate. Newcastle never really bought into Waynes World like the Dragons and again the Broncos did.

Mate not a Bronco's fan I support St George. Just pointing out that Bennett is doing quite well with some older stars and some very new blood and is doing it without the star studded pack that he is always accused of having.

Newcastle isn't exactly devoid of some talent and rep players either so you would expect that Stone should be going great guns.

Bennett plays the game to suit the team he has. In the days of Langer and co there was rarely a kick for the 2 points even if on offer in front of the sticks. The team seems to earn the right to do the flamboyant stuff only if they have the basics right. At St George he used Sowards kicking because it was his strength as opposed to taking on the line all the time which other no 6's do best.

But the haters are gonna hate.