What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett quitting the Knights

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm sure Bennett saying I'm out of here because this team will be no good for the next 5 years was pivotal in Korbin's decision to stay

Dazzat

First Grade
4 years is a long time in rugby league. In 2010 when he won it you want to know who were the 4 coaches of the sides who were involved in the 2 preliminary finals? It was Brian Smith, Bennett, Cartwright and Sheens. 2 of those guys can't even get a job anymore and one of barely clinging to the one he's got.
As someone who's watched Bennett's work closely the past 3 years, I see a coach who hasn't embraced the wrestling and ruck control aspect of the game nor has he learnt to neutralise it. I see a coach who's devoid of new ideas in attack. I see a coach who's failed to get the best from a squad he hand picked. I see a coach who's main tactic has been trying to get the team to play a discipline brand of football in the hope the opposition beat themselves.
I can't argue with 7 premierships, he deserves credit for that but you also can't argue with a 46% winning percentage after inheriting a top 8 side

I noticed you compared him to the premiership winning coaches over the past three years ... three years isn't a long time, but four years is. Selective analysis ... obviously based on scientific data :D

aqua_duck

Coach
I would say that Bennett didn't "embrace the wrestle" during his tenure with Brisbane and St George ... yet still won premierships.

Any reasonable reflection on Bennett's time at Newcastle cannot ignore a massive injury list, particularly last year, massive financial issues at the club, and of course the impact of McKinnon.

And sometimes the match just isn't right ... but of course only time will tell. I remember so many on these forums, for so long, bagging Bennett as a coach who was only successful due to his "cattle".

Of course the premiership at St George should have shut you up ... not too sure how many premierships Bennett has to win until the doubters finally give him the credit he deserves? 10? 12? 14? Coach a pack of monkeys and a poodle to the grand final? Dunno.
He didn't embrace the wrestle back then but back then not many teams bought into it as much. These days it's imperative because everyone else has caught on to its importance.
I know we'll had some issues but it still doesn't explain 46%. I never said anything about having or not having the right cattle, my question mark is more about his 'used by date'.

aqua_duck

Coach
I noticed you compared him to the premiership winning coaches over the past three years ... three years isn't a long time, but four years is. Selective analysis ... obviously based on scientific data :D
What are you on about?

Dazzat

First Grade
No disrespect to his past achievements but everyone has a used by date. The last few years has shown Bennett is a few pages behind. He's just not on the same page as guys like Hasler, Robinson, Toovey, and Bellamy in areas such as attacking set plays, wrestling and controlling the ruck.

This ... premiership winning coaches from the last few years.

aqua_duck

Coach
This ... premiership winning coaches from the last few years.

I didn't know Toovey won a premiership.
When you're making $1.3mil a year of course I'm going to compare him to the top coaches, I'll even include MaGuire and Cleary.
It's nothing to do with 3 year vs 4 years.

gregstar

Referee
Coach a pack of monkeys and a poodle to the grand final?
2010 was special so why single out soward like that?

furthermore, downie #1 shaves the back of his neck every day to avoid being called a monkey.

you are a prick.

blaza88z

Coach
Bennett couldn't get Newcastle a premiership so he's written off as a coach moving forward, that's the philosophy of Newcastle's fan base

let me provide you guys with some pivotal knowledge, a LOT of coaches would have failed in getting Newcastle a premiership in said period. You either have a winning culture, or you don't and Newcastle simply don't, ever since Johns retired they haven't ever looked likely.. if it's easier to blame Wayne Bennett then so be it

Bennett couldn't get Newcastle a premiership so he's written off as a coach moving forward, that's the philosophy of Newcastle's fan base

let me provide you guys with some pivotal knowledge, a LOT of coaches would have failed in getting Newcastle a premiership in said period. You either have a winning culture, or you don't and Newcastle simply don't, ever since Johns retired they haven't ever looked likely.. if it's easier to blame Wayne Bennett then so be it

Let me guess, you're basing that off 1 or 2 Knights supporters? Idiot.

perverse

Referee
Winning cultures don't just appear from nowhere. They are instilled and nurtured. Silly us for thinking that the "best coach in the game" might be a chance of bringing a winning attitude to the team he is coaching.

Regardless, the Knights fans that are bagging Wayne are more like jilted lovers than anything else. There's a bit of hurt there. Expectations were unreasonably high, and he failed epicly to get us anywhere.

Personally, I just think it was a bad fit. Having said that, everyone has a use-by date. Jury is out on whether Wayne has reached his, but we'll find out soon enough. He'll have a fairly star-studded lineup to work with next year and a club with it's shit sorted around him - it should be a gimme.

Last edited:

voltron

Juniors
while i would have loved a premiership or two or more lol, what i wanted was what he delivered to the saints immediately
a good defense and a consistent attitude
not this up and down crap, we had that in spades before bennett came and nothing changed in that when he arrived.
and this is a team that bennett has signed or resigned, so its completely his team.

Noname36

First Grade

Thanks for painting us all with the same brush, but I think you'll find most Knights fans (and I'm not talking about the bunch that have always hated Bennett in general no matter what he does ) aren't angry at him because he didn't get the club a premiership.

Most of us are just a bit miffed and disappointed about the way he's gone about this. He threw his players under the bus publicly while they were already struggling to justify his own personal decision to go to the highest bidder. That just wasn't what we've come to expect from him. Also going under Hook's nose and making that phone call the day of the Knights game to honor McKinnon.

I like a lot about the bloke and certainly think he still has plenty to offer but you're nuts if you can't understand why Knights fans would be a bit dirty on him after the way he's gone about this.

Last edited:
The injury to Craig Gower put paid to any chance that Newcastle could achieve anything under Wayne Bennett. Gower would have been the linchpin for premiership success.

isaiah

Bench

just one correction- they were no chance of a premiership from when joey took so much money that ben kennedy had to go. funniest thing for me is that bennett wanted to be the first to coach premiers at 3 clubs and he didn't prefer the knights to souffs just for the money, riiiight! souths will win before the knights do. but then again, madge is the better coach.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Absolutely true, Hutty.

Regardless of what happens over the next 10 years, every Bronco fan should be very happy in the knowledge that after 6 years of mediocre performances and doubts about our teams ability to win a premiership, next year, we're once again going to be in a position where the entire code are going to look at our squad on paper being coached by Wayne Bennett and they're going to collectively shit themselves.

I truly believe Bennett can turn Hunt, Milford, McGuire, McC and yes even Barba into competition superstars because that is just what he does and when you factor in that those young blokes will be buoyed by the likes of Parker, Thaiday, Hodges and Hannant.....Well, you would have to be out of your goddamn mind to be a Broncos supporter and not be optimistic.

You sound like a lot of Knights fans did in 2011

Latest posts