What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett quitting the Knights

Kiwi

First Grade
Bennett needs to get rid of Barba but I don't know many clubs that would be willing to pick up his salary, absolute dud signing
No we need to get barba back to his right playing weight and style and he will fire.

aqua_duck

Coach
Yeah ... who would want the most successful coach in the NRL history come back to coach and to setup a succession plan ... weak!

Who would want the man who masterminded the Queensland dominance at the highest level of the game back coaching ... weak!

Who would want the man who coached the NZ team to win the World Cup back ... weak!

Who would want the man who nurtured some of the greatest talent in the game over the past two decades back (Webke, Alfie, Lockyer, Tallis) back ... weak!

No disrespect to his past achievements but everyone has a used by date. The last few years has shown Bennett is a few pages behind. He's just not on the same page as guys like Hasler, Robinson, Toovey, and Bellamy in areas such as attacking set plays, wrestling and controlling the ruck.

Dazzat

First Grade
Wow ... so much deteriorating in four years! From Premiership winning coach to has been so quickly!

Time will tell won't it.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Anyone doubting that having Bennett back at the Broncos isn't a brilliant result for them is having a pull.

Absolutely true, Hutty.

Regardless of what happens over the next 10 years, every Bronco fan should be very happy in the knowledge that after 6 years of mediocre performances and doubts about our teams ability to win a premiership, next year, we're once again going to be in a position where the entire code are going to look at our squad on paper being coached by Wayne Bennett and they're going to collectively shit themselves.

I truly believe Bennett can turn Hunt, Milford, McGuire, McC and yes even Barba into competition superstars because that is just what he does and when you factor in that those young blokes will be buoyed by the likes of Parker, Thaiday, Hodges and Hannant.....Well, you would have to be out of your goddamn mind to be a Broncos supporter and not be optimistic.

gregstar

Referee
...... next year, we're once again going to be in a position where the entire code are going to look at our squad on paper being coached by Wayne Bennett and they're going to collectively shit themselves.
congrats.

i'm always humbled when a genius is able to communicate.

kudos to your handler.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ill predict Wango will bring Lockyer in as an Assistant, and push for him to take over later...

Originally, it was his plan (if i remember correctly) to coach until Lockyer retired, then act as mentor to "Head-Coach Darren" until Benny got pissy with that Cullen chap.

bluey

Bench
Knights are the big losers in this.
I think bennett will struggle back at the broncos next year.

_Johnsy

Referee
we're once again going to be in a position where the entire code are going to look at our squad on paper being coached by Wayne Bennett and they're going to collectively shit themselves.

Don't confuse optimism with delusion. You're making BM look quite normal.

He should have stepped down yesterday.

The Knights won't sack him after the events of the last week and the goodwill that has to be displayed for Mckinnon and rugby league's sake.

It's bad enough players are mercenaries and pledge their future allegiance to other clubs a season or two in advance. Coaches have a fair deal of a club's football strategic direction in their control and having a bloke in a senior position announce he's up and off to another club with the season yet to conclude, and yet remain at his incumbent organisation, just reinforces the joke of the way some things work in rugby league.

More a joke on the Broncos though. For a leading sports organisation, they're looking backwards to move into the future. Why not freeze the bloke now so they can have his input in a century's time, because the Brisbane Broncos Rugby League Football Club are telling the world that they don't have any ideas other than relying on a coach who was around when they won all the premierships they have. For one of the biggest football clubs in the country, this decision is weak.

The only thing that's weak is the Knights board for letting Wayne decide who we should buy for next year when he won't even be here. :crazy:

insert.pause

First Grade
Ill predict Wango will bring Lockyer in as an Assistant, and push for him to take over later...

Originally, it was his plan (if i remember correctly) to coach until Lockyer retired, then act as mentor to "Head-Coach Darren" until Benny got pissy with that Cullen chap.

Lockyer said he doesn't want to coach.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Absolutely true, Hutty.

Regardless of what happens over the next 10 years, every Bronco fan should be very happy in the knowledge that after 6 years of mediocre performances and doubts about our teams ability to win a premiership, next year, we're once again going to be in a position where the entire code are going to look at our squad on paper being coached by Wayne Bennett and they're going to collectively shit themselves.

I truly believe Bennett can turn Hunt, Milford, McGuire, McC and yes even Barba into competition superstars because that is just what he does and when you factor in that those young blokes will be buoyed by the likes of Parker, Thaiday, Hodges and Hannant.....Well, you would have to be out of your goddamn mind to be a Broncos supporter and not be optimistic.

Yeah Maranta does that.

Maybe you'll make it into the 8. But it'll be short lived. Prepare for more mediocrity.

Only way Bennett will do anything is if you guys buy Thurston.

aqua_duck

Coach
Wow ... so much deteriorating in four years! From Premiership winning coach to has been so quickly!

Time will tell won't it.

4 years is a long time in rugby league. In 2010 when he won it you want to know who were the 4 coaches of the sides who were involved in the 2 preliminary finals? It was Brian Smith, Bennett, Cartwright and Sheens. 2 of those guys can't even get a job anymore and one of barely clinging to the one he's got.
As someone who's watched Bennett's work closely the past 3 years, I see a coach who hasn't embraced the wrestling and ruck control aspect of the game nor has he learnt to neutralise it. I see a coach who's devoid of new ideas in attack. I see a coach who's failed to get the best from a squad he hand picked. I see a coach who's main tactic has been trying to get the team to play a discipline brand of football in the hope the opposition beat themselves.
I can't argue with 7 premierships, he deserves credit for that but you also can't argue with a 46% winning percentage after inheriting a top 8 side

Dazzat

First Grade
4 years is a long time in rugby league. In 2010 when he won it you want to know who were the 4 coaches of the sides who were involved in the 2 preliminary finals? It was Brian Smith, Bennett, Cartwright and Sheens. 2 of those guys can't even get a job anymore and one of barely clinging to the one he's got.
As someone who's watched Bennett's work closely the past 3 years, I see a coach who hasn't embraced the wrestling and ruck control aspect of the game nor has he learnt to neutralise it. I see a coach who's devoid of new ideas in attack. I see a coach who's failed to get the best from a squad he hand picked. I see a coach who's main tactic has been trying to get the team to play a discipline brand of football in the hope the opposition beat themselves.
I can't argue with 7 premierships, he deserves credit for that but you also can't argue with a 46% winning percentage after inheriting a top 8 side

I would say that Bennett didn't "embrace the wrestle" during his tenure with Brisbane and St George ... yet still won premierships.

Any reasonable reflection on Bennett's time at Newcastle cannot ignore a massive injury list, particularly last year, massive financial issues at the club, and of course the impact of McKinnon.

And sometimes the match just isn't right ... but of course only time will tell. I remember so many on these forums, for so long, bagging Bennett as a coach who was only successful due to his "cattle".

Of course the premiership at St George should have shut you up ... not too sure how many premierships Bennett has to win until the doubters finally give him the credit he deserves? 10? 12? 14? Coach a pack of monkeys and a poodle to the grand final? Dunno.

Latest posts