What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett quitting the Knights

Brutus

Referee
I actually think part of the problem is Newcastle just thought success it would inevitably happen.

I don't think anyone doubted Bennett was a great coach, but when he left Brisbane, there was still the question on whether he was just successful because of the roster that Broncos had boasted. He then went to St George Illawarra with instant success.

After that he was practically treated as a coaching god. So many (including myself) thought a premiership at Newcastle in the next 4 years was given. Unfortunately, I think the players did as well.

You could tell right from the get go, WB & the club just didn't click, & he probably underestimated what a challenge he was up against.

They were just one game off the grand final last year.

mave

Coach
lol, the Bennett haters are hilarious.

They go through his career with a fine tooth comb, to find anything they can put shit on him for. But you watch them cum in their pants the second he is linked to their club.

I wouldnt want him anywhere near Manly.

BranVan3000

Coach
I still wonder how Bennett would have gone with Souths. The roster was more or less in place already, he would have liked having a lot of non-SOO rep players and probably would have done better with a crop of perennial under achievers than Newcastle who thought the Premiership was as good as theirs.

Some say we dodged a bullet but I think Bennett would have been a good match with Souths

Chook

First Grade
Wayne Bennett is full of shit.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-george-illawarra-dragons-20140710-zt3d9.html

Goes on and on about how what he does is always about the players.

However, the 64-year-old insisted that he had not lost his desire to coach in the NRL and simply felt that the rebuilding of the Knights would take more time than he was able to devote to the job.

Put simply, Bennett appears keen to take charge of a team he believes is capable of winning a grand final within two years"

Meaning the jobs too hard with these players and I'm moving on where I can get instant success.

With Bennett having always insisted he would not talk to a club with another coach in place..

What an outright lie, Bennett has conveniently forgotten his deal to coach the Roosters when Ricky Stuart was still there, only for Bennett to go back on his word and renege on the deal. Not a man of his word is Wayne.

And just like the Dragons, Bennett will leave the sinking ship of the Knights like the rat he is.

Chook.

perverse

Referee
There won't be too many players following Wayne out of the Knights, I wouldn't think. He rarely stood by the players and willingly threw them under the bus numerous times during his stay. He's clearly never had the full both ears of the roster, judging by on-field performances. The blokes he brought in may follow him back out, certainly Boyd, but it's not like the Dragons or the Broncos where they followed him chasing more success. He brought us nothing, and his aura is dimming - there's not too much to entice any Knight away from the club.

grouch

First Grade
Wayne Bennett is full of shit.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-george-illawarra-dragons-20140710-zt3d9.html

Goes on and on about how what he does is always about the players.

However, the 64-year-old insisted that he had not lost his desire to coach in the NRL and simply felt that the rebuilding of the Knights would take more time than he was able to devote to the job.

Put simply, Bennett appears keen to take charge of a team he believes is capable of winning a grand final within two years"

Meaning the jobs too hard with these players and I'm moving on where I can get instant success.

With Bennett having always insisted he would not talk to a club with another coach in place..

What an outright lie, Bennett has conveniently forgotten his deal to coach the Roosters when Ricky Stuart was still there, only for Bennett to go back on his word and renege on the deal. Not a man of his word is Wayne.

And just like the Dragons, Bennett will leave the sinking ship of the Knights like the rat he is.

Chook.
Nothing is more delicious than Rooster butthurt. Mmmm mmm finger lickin good

Valheru

Coach
I get the feeling the dragons are the favourites purely because the position is available however I reckon he will go back to brisbane.

I would not rule out the New Zealand Warriors as smokies to secure Bennett's services. Not as a replacement for Andrew McFadden, but more in a Coaching Director's role. They would be able to afford his services.

nick87

Coach
I actually think part of the problem is Newcastle just thought success it would inevitably happen.

I don't think anyone doubted Bennett was a great coach, but when he left Brisbane, there was still the question on whether he was just successful because of the roster that Broncos had boasted. He then went to St George Illawarra with instant success.

After that he was practically treated as a coaching god. So many (including myself) thought a premiership at Newcastle in the next 4 years was given. Unfortunately, I think the players did as well.

You could tell right from the get go, WB & the club just didn't click, & he probably underestimated what a challenge he was up against.

Agreed.
It seemed to me the entire club were just kind of waiting around waiting for a premiership to fall into their laps.

Noname36

First Grade
What did he say?

Experienced Knights forward Jeremy Smith said last night none of the players saw it coming.

?I?m pretty shocked. I think we all are,? Smith said.

?It left a pretty empty feeling when he told us because none of us saw it coming and I?m still a bit rattled to be honest.

?I thought after the season we?ve had, he would have been like us and looking for redemption next year but it?s not to be I guess. What can you do??

Pretty spot on for me although the danger for Saints (if he goes back) is that there could be that feeling of 'we got the band back together' which in itself drives expectations, realistic or otherwise.

Noname36

First Grade

Agreed.
It seemed to me the entire club were just kind of waiting around waiting for a premiership to fall into their laps.

To be honest even if that ever was true with the Knights, it certainly wasn't an issue that lasted longer than 2012. The issues this year were a much different kettle of fish.

In 2012 though a lot of the players pretty much said that while they didn't expect great things themselves when Bennett signed, they felt the weight of expectation from the outside which didn't sit well with them.

After they missed the semis in 2012 though that expectation was gone (people were shocked they went as far as they did last year) and they improved a lot.

There's a lot of issues this year, but expecting things isn't one of them.

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
I'm not sold on the Dragons being a foregone conclusion yet, I think yesterday was Bennett putting himself out to tender and it's now up to other clubs to make bids. The fact the dragons have a vacancy and have expressed interest in Bennett makes them favorite by default. Bennett's ego likes to keep people guessing and the dragons are too obvious atm.