What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett, the greatest coach ever

dragon_around

Juniors
Anyone notice the similarities between today's grand final and the 1998 GF?

In '98 Broncos were down 12-10 at halftime and went on to win 38-12 (28-0 second half). Today the Dragons were down 8-6 and won 32-8 (26-0 second half).

Wonder if he used the same speech? Must have been a good one...
Wayne Bennett's speech:

"I'm a man of few words. Now go out there and play well."

johns_reds

First Grade
I was never around during Jack Gibson's era so i can't really comment on him as a coach, So in my opinion Wayne Bennett is the best coach i've ever seen, he gets so much out of his players, yes he had some great broncos teams in the 90's but to go to sydney and win a premiership in his second year for a club who hasn't won a premiership in over 30 years (if you include the joint venture's unmerged history) that is pretty amazing.

bobmar28

Bench
Should be immortalised. Did you hear the huge cheer from the Dragons fans when he stepped on to the podium?

Last edited:

simostorm

Bench
thing that makes Benny so good.. is what he's acomplished in the modern era.. specially during this "Salary Cap Age".. 4 Premiersips since 98.

Thats a special thing.

taxidriver

Coach
i've said all season, look at what he has achieved with the Dragons roster.

how he didn't win coach of the year after taking that team to two consecutive minor premierships still astounds me

Jason Maher

Immortal
He won something much better than coach of the year. Besides, Moore and Smith deserved the credit they received for taking wooden spoon sides to preliminary and grand finals respectively the following seasons. Yes, they both had some good talent come in, which helped, but chucking a good player into a crap team doesn't suddenly turn it into a good team.

Green Machine

First Grade
Johnsy the true believer:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=3996158&postcount=33

The real test will be if benny takes a job in sydney, not canberra, or nq, or the warriors, or even newcastle. Sydney. Interesting times ahead, will benny take the toughest test of his professional life. Will he truly test himself and answer the question his critics often ask ?

Personally, I dont think so, however interesting times ahead.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
St George Illawarra's Wayne Bennett hailed as greatest rugby league coach
By Stuart Honeysett
October 04, 2010 .
It was poetic that Ron Massey was seated next to St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett when the Dragons ended a 31-year premiership drought at ANZ Stadium on Sunday night.
That's because in a different era, Massey used to sit alongside another great coach - the late Jack Gibson.
Gibson won five premierships at two different clubs and is widely regarded as the greatest coach the game has ever seen.
Bennett has seven at two different clubs and counting, but before we get to his place in history, it's important to acknowledge how he felt about having Massey by his side on NRL grand final day.
"Yeah, it was pretty special," Bennett said. "He's been with me for a few because he was Jack's great co-coach, or assistant coach, or what did he call himself? Coaching co-ordinator.
"He's been here before and I'm just so pleased. He's getting on in years now and it's not easy for him to get around, but mentally he's great and I was really pleased to have him there. It made my night."
Bennett knows the comparisons between him and Gibson will start to gain momentum. To be fair, they were already there before Sunday night's game, given he won six premierships during his 21 years at Brisbane Broncos. So how does he feel about that?
"I don't like the comparison stuff personally," Bennett said. "I'm Wayne and he was Jack and we're different eras.
"He was a great coach and I've got a great amount of respect for him. He influenced me and he influenced other people and did some great things for the game.
"If I can come close to that that's a bonus, but I never set out to be that. I just set out to do a job and opportunities came along and I just kept doing a job."
The job Bennett did last night was enormous. The Roosters took an 8-6 lead into the break and all the momentum.
The discipline that Bennett had drilled into his troops and made them such a dominant force all season was suddenly sadly lacking and the master coach had only 10 minutes to find it.
Needless to say, he did and the Dragons never looked back. And what did Massey think?
"He was like the coach - he wasn't enjoying too much until half-time, but then he realised in the second half we were getting it together," Bennett said.
"He loved it in the end."
So did the long suffering Dragons fans. The supporters made their feelings known when he walked down on to the field through the crowd.
To a man they chanted his name and bowed down in appreciation of their new messiah. It shouldn't be too long before the game does too.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27830629-23214,00.html?from=public_rss

Iafeta

Referee
Wayne Bennett is an awesome coach. The stories you hear about players treating him like a second father shows how much respect, belief and trust players have in this guy. That was probably the happiest element of St George Illawarra's win, that Wayne Bennett was at the helm. It's hard not to respect the impact he has had on this great game.

damo72

Juniors
I agree that he is a very astute coach, however I would like to see him with a struggling club to see if he could turn them around. Even Jack Gibson couldn't get Cronulla to a title, I think it would be interesting to see him with a side that doesn't have a squad full of rep players.
Don't get me wrong, I believe he is one of the greats and I'm not doubting any of the praise lauded upon him.

Yep definitely the greatest. To take a rather lacklustre roster like that to a premiership is phenomenal. Especially when you take into account it was probably the worst halves combo to ever win a title.

Wayne Bennett you are a genius.

bender

Juniors
I agree that he is a very astute coach, however I would like to see him with a struggling club to see if he could turn them around. Even Jack Gibson couldn't get Cronulla to a title, I think it would be interesting to see him with a side that doesn't have a squad full of rep players.
Don't get me wrong, I believe he is one of the greats and I'm not doubting any of the praise lauded upon him.

You mean like Canberra?

Or perhaps Brothers?

Knightmare

Coach
Anyone notice the similarities between today's grand final and the 1998 GF?

In '98 Broncos were down 12-10 at halftime and went on to win 38-12 (28-0 second half). Today the Dragons were down 8-6 and won 32-8 (26-0 second half).

Wonder if he used the same speech? Must have been a good one...

This is exactly what I was thinking at halftime. But instead of sharing a history lesson with my mates, I just pointed out that this was a typical St George game- miserly points in the first half, pile on the points in the last 25 minutes, which is exactly what transpired. It was clear as soon as the Dragons stopped dropping the ball that they could get a roll on.

n r l f a n

Juniors
No other coach could have done what he has done at the Dragons. Arriving in late 2008 no one gave him a chance, Dragons were expected to miss the top 8 in 2009. His influence on Scott, Weyman, Soward, Fien, Hunt, Hornby...is remarkable...he definitely is a saint

badav

Bench
I think he achieved more than enough at the Bronco's to never be questioned.

But its funny, many of the baggers back then would have been dragons supporters. Now after two years they think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.