What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett

perverse

Referee
that's a f**king geniused idea. bring him in as head coach. if pandering to Stones ego costs us a stint with potentially the greatest coach that has ever lived then someone deserves a bullet. i've been through the same egotistical bullsh*t at heaps of companies and it always ends poorly. making up titles to pander to egos is rubbish.

Stoney, back to assistant coach or piss off and make way ffs.

Noname36

First Grade
I've actually heard that he really wants to retire from full time coaching, and head up a school boys type development program in Qld. A "coaching directors" role may be the best a club could hope to get. I certainly wouldn't turn him down if he wants to do that for us.

It's all just speculation anyway. Who knows what will happen.

perverse

Referee
well if that is indeed the case, i will take him in any capacity we can have him. whatever he wants, he should have it. there arn't many people in the game you move mountains to accomodate, but Wayne Bennett is certainly one of them.

i don't like fabricating unnecessary positions in an organisation in general, though. it's a real bugbear of mine. coaching director just sounds like a wanky way of putting Bennett in charge without demoting Stone, on face value. there is already a position within the Knights to be the head of coaching, and it's called Head Coach.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Just remember, Bennett has done the whole coaching directors thing before with the NZ side. He wouldn't have partaken in that if he saw it as an unnecessary role. He might have gotten a taste of the role there and decided that he may like to give it a go at club level.

I have no idea what will happen, but you cant just suddenly assume that the reason the club may be looking at Bennett as a director is because they're trying not to hurt Stone's feelings. There's a number of reasons it might be...

I don't buy it. It is a front as they will not renew Stone's deal if Bennett becomes coaching director (read as head coach). This is all about the vote in March and not wanting to tip the balance. They don't want to look stupid if Stoney does get us into the top four.

rnb11

Juniors
Bennett has said he will not retire, he's staying in the NRL and he doesn't want to coach another Brisbane side.

Rusty

Juniors
If we sign Bennett there won't be an empty seat in Newcastle.

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
I don't buy it. It is a front as they will not renew Stone's deal if Bennett becomes coaching director (read as head coach). This is all about the vote in March and not wanting to tip the balance. They don't want to look stupid if Stoney does get us into the top four.

Bennet will get us into the top one though!

muddy

Juniors
Heard from someone last night who was in Tinkler's box at the football the other night is that Bennett is a done deal with the Rabbits with Mick Potter taking over at St George and The Knights will be coached by Ricky Stuart.

Noname36

First Grade
It's a shame this thing with Tinkler couldn't have happened a bit earlier, because I think we would have had a real shot at Bennett if it had been put in place a couple of months ago (providing it goes through).

Really though, Ricky Stuart? I'd much prefer us to see how Stone goes this year before looking at someone like Stuart.

Alex28

Coach
Isn't Stuart signed full-time to the NSW Origin squad? Wasn't that the whole point of him coaching Origin this year?

Spot On

Coach
Heard from someone last night who was in Tinkler's box at the football the other night is that Bennett is a done deal with the Rabbits with Mick Potter taking over at St George and The Knights will be coached by Ricky Stuart.

That person had too much to drink. Stuart's sole coaching job is for NSW. They didn't have an independent review and new structure put in place for Stuart to walk after 1 Origin series. And if he does, he shouldn't get a gig anywhere for the following two seasons. A crock of sh*t mate.

shane1970

Juniors
I heard the talk back that everyone raises - yeah sure it's only talkback sports radio BUT - this same fella that said Bennett was coming to Newcastle was the one who broke to the radio show that Karmichael Hunt was defecting to AFL about two - three months before he even announced that he was. Maybe, just maybe there could be some credence to his statement!

aqua_duck

Coach
It's quite a change going from a team that were seen as scraping up the crumbs so to speak to potentially the superpower of the NRL

Rusty

Juniors
The Sun Herald is reporting that they have received strong mail that Wayne Bennett will coach the new Brisbane franchise should they get the nod....

Alex28

Coach
Which means he might need somewhere for a year or two. Get him in until Maguire is available.