What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett's Knights set to sign Dragon's hooker Cameron King

drago brelli

Bench
Because he is returning from injury. I don't think anyone has any problem with Newcastle signing Cameron King in normal circumstance but in this situation where Bennett is using his personal relationship with the player to his and Newcastles advantage after Bennett stated that he would not be doing so is what people have issue with.

I also think and I'm sure that some Newcastle fans would agree with is that Bennett is being a tad lazy with your team by taking from the Dragons. Newcastle have a number of very good young hookers and even more young halves who he could look to develope.

So just to state again the majority of Dragons fan have no issue with Newcastle or its fans but Bennett going back on his word.
King's injured.

Bang

Juniors
It was reported recently that the players are the ones approaching Bennett, not vice versa. This isn't Bennett systematically dismantling or raping the club- it is the players wanting out of St. George for whatever reasons and wanting to join our club.

Get over it.

Which is not hard when Bennett remains in contact himself with many of the players. Bennett admitts this himself. There is nothing stoppping Bennett from saying to these players that Steven Price is a good coach and that they should stick with the St George Illawarra as Bennett picked him to replace him at the Dragons when more experienced coaches where available. See there is another issue the Dragons allowed Bennett to be involved with the setting up of the future of the club post him leaving.

When he came to the Dragons his job was to change the culture at the club and set the Dragons up for the future. Winning the priemership was just a bonus for us.

So to leave and start to take away from what he had created at the club is a going against what he was hired to do in the first place and is why Dragons fans are more upset with the attempts to sign Cameron King in comparison to the signing of a current international and state of origin player in Scott as he King is the future of the club and part of what Bennett was paid to set up.

There are alot more teams in the league than the Dragons.

Last edited:

Wato

Juniors
It still does not change the fact that you sign the best players on the market first no matter what club they come from. The knights needed a tough durable backrower Beau Scott was the best off contract backrower that fills that role so we signed him up. Are you Saint George fans saying if hypothetically Beallmy took over the dragons and Slater and Zillman were on the market and you could buy either Slater or Zillman you would buy Zillman because Bellamy coached Slater at Melbourne?

Nuffy

Bench
Which is not hard when Bennett remains in contact himself with many of the players. Bennett admitts this himself. There is nothing stoppping Bennett from saying to these players that Steven Price is a good coach and that they should stick with the St George Illawarra as Bennett picked him to replace him at the Dragons when more experienced coaches where available. See there is another issue the Dragons allowed Bennett to be involved with the setting up of the future of the club post him leaving.

When he came to the Dragons his job was to change the culture at the club and set the Dragons up for the future. Winning the priemership was just a bonus for us.

So to leave and start to take away from what he had created at the club is a going against what he was hired to do in the first place and is why Dragons fans are more upset with the attempts to sign Cameron King in comparison to the signing of a current international and state of origin player in Scott as he King is the future of the club and part of what Bennett was paid to set up.

There are alot more teams in the league than the Dragons.

Mate, what are you, 8 years old, grow up, its a professional sport and Bennett has been paid to do a job for Newcastle.

It was reported by Rothfield that the players are actually approaching Bennett. Have you ever though that maybe the players arent exactly enamoured with Price?

As the follower of a club that has been routinely plundered by richer clubs, including yours at times, I am sympathetic but to expect Bennett to not do what everyone else is doing is just not realistic.

Bang

Juniors
Mate, what are you, 8 years old, grow up, its a professional sport and Bennett has been paid to do a job for Newcastle.

It was reported by Rothfield that the players are actually approaching Bennett. Have you ever though that maybe the players arent exactly enamoured with Price?

As the follower of a club that has been routinely plundered by richer clubs, including yours at times, I am sympathetic but to expect Bennett to not do what everyone else is doing is just not realistic.

So its okay to go against your word?. its okay to wreck what you were paid to do?
its okay to recommend Price as the best replacement then take advantage of his inexperience?

If by asking if I'm 8 years old is implying that I'm naive for thinking the above then you have no moral values.

RABK

Referee
You best never go into business or management Bang, you'd get eaten alive. Keep stacking shelves or selling tv's or whatever it is your morals allow you to do.

hugzy

Juniors
Lol think u just made him cry...

We get pillaged SO hard for 20 years now. We can probably name a ffirst grade 17 of newcastle juniors getting tapped up. what went around is coming around

Bang

Juniors
You best never go into business or management Bang, you'd get eaten alive. Keep stacking shelves or selling tv's or whatever it is your morals allow you to do.

Already ran my own very successful business and now moved onto another career that requires that I'm not overly soft and doesn't involve selling tv's or stacking shelves not that there is anything wrong with people that do that.

You can be someone that does not put up with any bullshit, achieves your goals and be a man of your word in management. In fact if people that you deal with in either management or business find out that they can not trust you, then dealings with them become all the more difficult.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
Forgive me but i struggle to believe you ran a succesful business when the simple fact that League is a professional sport escapes you. Professional sport is a business.

I've never once, in any sporting code i follow worldwide, ever felt betrayed by any player movement or transfer from a club or team i support. Because i learnt, at about age 7 mind you, that professional sport is a pretty ruthless business - a dog eat dog, survival of the fittest world. Victory and Success is everything.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
And as Nuffy as pointed out, it is been reported that players are approaching Bennett. That would suggest Bennett is not going against his word and tearing your club apart - but that something internal is.

Whats Doing

Bench
So its okay to go against your word?. its okay to wreck what you were paid to do?
its okay to recommend Price as the best replacement then take advantage of his inexperience?

If by asking if I'm 8 years old is implying that I'm naive for thinking the above then you have no moral values.

Are you real.

Bennett was paid to do a job at the Dragons. He did that, put structures in place and won a premiership.

He is now paid to do a job for Newcastle. His contract does not say he cannot touch the Dragons.

billy2

Juniors
It's all a storm in a teacup.
If Bennett is in the market he won't be looking for more than 1 or 2 players - maybe a hooker and a prop.
Just to keep the 'stars' we have will require us to shed players next year rather than go on a shopping spree.
Keeping guys like Roberts, Tets, Smith, Sims, Filipo, Chanel Mata'utia etc will be very difficult.

Bang

Juniors
Forgive me but i struggle to believe you ran a succesful business when the simple fact that League is a professional sport escapes you. Professional sport is a business.

I've never once, in any sporting code i follow worldwide, ever felt betrayed by any player movement or transfer from a club or team i support. Because i learnt, at about age 7 mind you, that professional sport is a pretty ruthless business - a dog eat dog, survival of the fittest world. Victory and Success is everything.

I have not doubt that in professional sport that players come and go from club to club I have understood this from a very young age when I started watching League. There is nothing wrong with players going from one club to another. The Knights have offered Beau Scott a much better deal than the Dragons and he would be crazy not to take the money as a professional Rugby League player he only has a short career.

I have said in previous posts that I have no problem with the Knights buying Dragons players in the normal scheme of things. What I have taken issues with is that Bennett was largely paid to change the culture at the Dragons and set them up for the future which Bennett know that Cameron King is a big part of the future that he set up. Winning the NRL was just a bonus.

The other thing I would like to point out is that you have numerous talented juniors coming through, a couple of those being hookers and I feel that Bennett should be looking at those players first as he has good cover from the 9 jumper for the next couple of years.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I have not doubt that in professional sport that players come and go from club to club I have understood this from a very young age when I started watching League. There is nothing wrong with players going from one club to another. The Knights have offered Beau Scott a much better deal than the Dragons and he would be crazy not to take the money as a professional Rugby League player he only has a short career.

I have said in previous posts that I have no problem with the Knights buying Dragons players in the normal scheme of things. What I have taken issues with is that Bennett was largely paid to change the culture at the Dragons and set them up for the future which Bennett know that Cameron King is a big part of the future that he set up. Winning the NRL was just a bonus.

The other thing I would like to point out is that you have numerous talented juniors coming through, a couple of those being hookers and I feel that Bennett should be looking at those players first as he has good cover from the 9 jumper for the next couple of years.

2 points mate

1. King is contracted to the Dragons and there is no proof he is going to skip that and sign with the Knights. The article is pretty much pure speculation.

2. Our jnr hookers are average, infact it is our weakest point in the NYC and NSW cup.

Bang

Juniors
2 points mate

1. King is contracted to the Dragons and there is no proof he is going to skip that and sign with the Knights. The article is pretty much pure speculation.

2. Our jnr hookers are average, infact it is our weakest point in the NYC and NSW cup.

1.The rumour is that he has or will sign for the 2014 season.

2.Both Chad Redman and Adam Clydsdale are well thought of with Redman being a former Australian Schoolboy.

Joker's Wild

Coach
1.The rumour is that he has or will sign for the 2014 season.

2.Both Chad Redman and Adam Clydsdale are well thought of with Redman being a former Australian Schoolboy.

1. "Rumour" is my exact point. No proof at all

2. Both have been disappointing over the last couple of years and not in the frame for FG at all. Being a former Aust school boy player means jack shit

Latest posts