What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Kerr on the 6 O'Clock News

LordLeague

Juniors
Just saw Irish forward Wayne Kerr in brief interviews on both Channel 7 and 9 Six O'Clock news bulletins in Sydney.

Sounded very Irish indeed. Great stuff.

Also interviews with Adrian Morley and Tony Smith as they arrived in Brisbane and a snippet of French team singing and rocking minibus

Some decent publicity for a change. Lets hope there's more of this type of thing as more teams fly in and set up base.

Lord League

Poul

Juniors
I saw Scott Grix being interviewed on Fox Sports, and he didn't sound very Irish to my ears. From a public relations point of view, I would have thought it would be more appropriate to have the domestic players, presumably with recognisable Irish accents, do the media interviews.

Gibbo

Juniors
Yep saw big Wayne in action, what a legend! I get the feeling ever since his parents gave him the name he's been in the Gym though, what a unit.

Perhaps its like that Johnny cash song "A boy named Sue"....

Gibbo

Juniors
Man there will be some journos/commentators hoping he has a big tournament, there are so many jokes

"Wayne Kerr wins toss" etc

imagine if he gets done out on the turps-"Wayne Kerr busted"

roopy

Referee
On sports tonight saying hopes to be known as Wayne Kerr the Rugby player, not plain Wayne Kerr.
I think he has heard them all.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Does anyone else think Wayne looks like Paul Harragon?

0,,6301652,00.jpg

Chook Norris

First Grade
Kerr's set to play a big hand

By Christian Niccolussi
October 16, 2008 WE'VE had Ron Coote and Roy Bull in league, horse racing's Edgar Britt and Adrian Quist in tennis.
Now Ireland have delivered their own wonderfully-named athlete - Wayne Kerr.
Even if the hard-hitting prop fails to make an impact for the rugby league minnows this World Cup, Kerr is sure to be talked about long after the tournament is over.
As the Irish rugby league side touched down in Sydney Wednesday, it was Kerr who attracted the most attention, despite having won just three international caps.
The 24-year-old said he had always created a stir because of his name and the extra attention would be no different Down Under.
"As my Ma always said to me, she gave me my name for a reason, so it would never be forgotten," Kerr told The Daily Telegraph.
"I've been bagged over it my whole life, but it doesn't worry me. If the Australian fans get behind me because of the name, brilliant. I'll enjoy it.
"Hopefully they'll embrace me. If I can get some game time I'll try and show them it's not about my name but the way I play."
Kerr, from Ireland's Carlow Crusaders club, took up league three years ago after 12 seasons playing union.
One of four Irish-born players, Kerr said he was looking forward to putting his nuggety frame on the line against the hard-hitting Tongans and Samoans in the pool games.
Ireland coach Andy Kelly said there was no way Ireland had travelled halfway around the globe to make up the numbers and would draw on the fighting Irish spirit.
"We're here to be a big part of the World Cup and to be a big part we can't whimper in and whimper out," Kelly said. "We're not here to be clowns and be out of the competition after two games."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24501706-23214,00.html?from=public_rss

Latest posts